NGD: Schecter KM7 MKIII Standard (Writeup and Sound Clips)

Discussion in 'Sevenstring Guitars' started by Albake21, May 6, 2019.

1. Albake21

Albake21 "Just get a used Ibanez Prestige."

So I’ve been talking this one up ever since they were first announced. The USA MKIIIs were too expensive for me while the Korean made were past what I’d pay for an imported model. Then the standard was announced for $899. A great price, solid specs, and a platform to mod what ever you want. So here we go.

Specs:
    • 3(?) pc Swamp Ash Body
    • 5 pc Roasted Maple/ Normal Maple Neck
    • Ebony Fretboard w/ Aluminum Circle Inlays
    • Carbon Fiber Reinforcement Rods
    • Burled Maple Top
    • Toxic Smoke Green finish
    • Green Glow In The Dark Side Dots
    • 26.5” Scale
    • Schecter Branded Hardware
    • Schecter Branded Pickups

Initial Thoughts:

First things first, I am a total snob when it comes to where guitars are made. I’ll admit it, I don’t have a good track record with Indo made guitars. I’ve played a few other Indo made Schecters and thought they were the best Indo made guitars I’ve played. Nothing amazing, but enough to make me want to try one of these Standards. I figured if the quality is on par with those, then I’ll be happy with it. Boy was I proved otherwise…

Fit and Finish:

Guys… this thing is absolutely flawless. I mean it, this INDO MADE guitar is flawless. I can not find a single thing wrong with it. Everything feels very high end. The frets are smooth, may need a tiny bit more rounding, but it’s fine. It genuinely feels pretty high end, which is just so rare for import guitars, let alone Indo made. I played some Schecter Reapers a few weeks ago and this KM7 feels WAY nicer. I don’t even get how… they are both made in the same factory (as far as I know).

The guitar is just stunning! If it wasn’t for the hardware giving it away, I would have thought this was at the very least Korean made, even Japanese made. The top is beautiful (I’m normally not one for burls), the neck looks and feels nice, the fretboard is a nice dark ebony, and the blacked out ash is just icing on the cake. All in all, I couldn’t be happier with it’s looks and feel for what I paid.

Now there is one thing that bothers me here. The neck profile is not the Ultra Thin C I’ve grown to love. It’s more of a D shape with shoulders. If any of you have played a Schecter Ultra Thin C, you’ll know that profile. Round with very little shoulders…. that’s not what I got. This is by far the most disappointed part of this guitar. So much so I’m debating on returning it. We’ll see in due time. Another thing to knit pick is the jack placement. It's in such a horribly awkward spot.

Sound and Functionality:

It’s by no means perfect, but this can all be fixed with some modding. The tuners seem very solid and work well. I may end up changing them anyways though because locking tuners are pretty much a must for me. The nut is the same Ernie Ball one found on the KM7 MKII which seemed pretty nice. The controls seem nice and work perfect, for now. I gotta say, this is by far my favorite control scheme. 3 way, volume pot, and mini toggle for coil splitting.

The pickups… I don’t hate them, but I don’t love them. Honestly for stock pickups, they actually surprised me without how decent they are. I’ll probably actually just keep the neck pickup and change the bridge. The neck sounds pretty decent and works with what I need it for. The bridge on the other hand is just alright. It’s chunky and can sounds pretty great at times, but I will say it lack clarity. It can tend to be a bit on the muddy side at times. The single coil tones leave a lot to be desired. They sound pretty good with clean but the difference with a dirty tone isn’t too noticeable from the normal humbucker. A little strange to me.

Overall, it sounds actually pretty solid. Hell I’d even consider recording with it stock. Tuning stability is pretty rock solid, so I’m fairly happy with it all.

Closing Thoughts:

What can I say? It blew away my expectations. It really is a fantastic guitar with no flaws at all with the fit and finish. Hardware is pretty solid, but might be worth upgrading the pickups in the future. It looks gorgeous and like a $1000+ guitar.

The neck profile is a huge let down though. So much so it may even be a deal breaker for me. I have gotten used to it, and even enjoy it more for the higher frets, but it just feels awkward and bulky on the lower frets.

All in all, I’d definitely recommend this guitar to someone looking for high specs or a mod platform at a low price. Hopefully they are consistent in quality and I didn’t just get a diamond in the ruff. If you have any questions, just let me know.

Quick sound demo: https://soundcloud.com/albake21/km7mkiii-sound-demo

Just a quick note, I did this in 20 minutes this morning, nothing special. I'm also not much of a lead player. The cleans are in order bridge, middle, neck, then the same but with the coil split on. Dirty is just the bridge then with split bridge. Leads are the same order as the cleans. Then just a noodle around for different tones to show off the bridge pickup.

Pictures:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

2. stinkoman

stinkoman SS.org Regular

Great write up.Did Keith ever get back to you if the korean model neck profile was different? I still might have to pick one of these up down the line, I love that color.

Albake21 likes this.
  3. Mattykoda

Mattykoda SS.org Regular

I think I just need to buy the predator inlay one now. I'm bummed you don't like the neck profile but man that is a nice looking guitar.

Albake21 likes this.
  4. Albake21

He sadly did not get back to me so the neck profile is still a mystery to me.

Honestly, if the quality will be the same as mine, it's absolutely worth it! I'm still in awe about the quality and finish of this guitar. I pretty much only play American, Europe, or Japanese made guitars so this was a big surprise.

stinkoman and Mattykoda like this.
  5. AkiraSpectrum

AkiraSpectrum SS.org Regular

Glad to hear that its great quality for the price; looks awesome!

Albake21 likes this.
  6. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire Drink Sunny D, pet kitties.

yo if you end up not wanting to keep the guitar i'll take it off your hands :)

Albake21 likes this.
  7. Frostbite

Frostbite Periphery Shill

You could always get the neck profile shaved down a bit. Just something to think about

8. LeviathanKiller

LeviathanKiller Knee-shooting Archer

Those pics and that write-up have made me get a lot closer to ordering one of these...
    I'm just concerned about the neck profile

9. Vegetta

Vegetta NOT A BOOMER

I am kind of hoping that they release a 6 string version of this. I would plop in a set of Black Winters and go from there.

Those pickups sound pretty decent actually.

10. Sogradde

Sogradde SS.org Regular

Considering what happened the last three times you ordered a Schecter I would have thought you were more wary of them now? :lol:

LeviathanKiller likes this.
  11. LeviathanKiller

LeviathanKiller Knee-shooting Archer

Nah, just wary of that particular model (the MK-3 Artist, not the Standard). I ordered a fourth MK-3 Artist btw :lol: It's perfect except for a very small amount of chipping (unlike my previous three which had a lot) and I was able to sand/file it away so that it isn't a nuisance. I also got it for $1299 brand new from a retailer so that made it doable for me. The B-stocks I've seen are that price or higher and they were ones that were dropped and had severe damage. So I got a great deal on something with a minor flaw this time. The first three I had were much worse and obviously more expensive. I also bought another C7 SLS Elite after those three MK-3s and it was mostly fine. It really just seems to be that their first runs of new models absolutely suck.

Sogradde and AkiraSpectrum like this.
  12. Zado

Zado SS.org Regular

It's always been like this with Indo-Korean models. They get better with age, like wine :D

LeviathanKiller likes this.
  13. IbanezDaemon

IbanezDaemon Raptus regaliter

That is totally killer looking...beautifully sculpted.

Albake21 likes this.
  14. MistaSnowman

MistaSnowman Play It LOUD!!!

Very surprised of how the pickups sound in the sound clip. If the guitar wasn't a bolt-on, I'd look at it more closely.

15. Albake21

It's definitely one of the better sounding stock pickups I've played. I'd definitely replace the bridge pickup though, it tends to be a tad too muddy for me. The neck is pretty solid though, at least for my needs.

MistaSnowman likes this.
  16. Gram negative

Gram negative Christopher Horton

I recently got a C7 Sls elite. I'm blown away with the quality.

This guitar was next on my list to buy, maybe the reaper. But you've sold me. I would throw some EMGs in there and call it a day.

Albake21 likes this.
  17. CovertSovietBear

CovertSovietBear Polylinker

Wish they would have a model with a trem, I would snag one up right now if they did.
    Looks sweet though.

Albake21 likes this.
  18. shupe13

shupe13 SS.org Regular

Love that color!

Congrats!!