NGD - Sabre Guitars - Syren 7

Discussion in 'Sevenstring Guitars' started by JKM777, Mar 10, 2014.

1. JKM777

JKM777 SS.org Regular

Here is my new Syren 7 String From Sabre Guitars.

Built by Luthier Christian Howes in the UK, this is one of the first 10 guitars;in their new "stock" series.

These Guitars are designed to be highly affordable, work horses built in the UK using high quality hardware and timber. Ill give a review later in this tread. On with the Spec!!

Apologies for phone picture quality!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Spec.

Construction.

25.5" Scale - Seven String
    2 piece Body - Swamp Ash
    5 Piece Neck - Wenge/Maple with Volute
    African Ebony Fretboard - 16" Radius; No Dots
    24 Frets - Jumbo
    Fender Style 3+4 Headstock
    2-Way Truss Rod (I believe - may need correcting here), Adjusts at body end with Spoke nut, very easy access/adjusting!

Hardware/Electronics

2 x Humbuckers - Bare Knuckle Pickups "Juggernaught" calibrated set - Open Coil + black Bolts

Gotoh Tuners - Unsure of exact model (Expected Hipshot -"Open Gear" tuners, got Gotoh which was a good surprise IMO!!)

Hipshot Bridge
    1x Volume Control
    1xTone Control
    1x 3-Way Switch
    Graphite Nut & Saddles

Additional Features

Luminlay - Luminous Side Dots in Green
    Sabre Recessed Jack Socket
    Belly & Elbow Carve
    Engraved "Syren 7" on Body (next to neck pocket)
    Matching control cavity Cover
    Slanted Bridge pickup

As stated earlier said these guitars are built to be performance workhorses. This guitar IS solid.

The moment I picked it up I felt that the constriction was top notch. The guitar has a nice 34mm slimline body with 5 piece neck. It has a nice weight to it giving confidence that it could be knocked/toured and would remain intact. All components fit together well, with no rattles/buzzes. Quality is the word here. Fret work seems very uniform with no sharp fret ends at all. Everything is screwed tightly and nothing feels cheep. Chris uses the True-bolt system which seems a lot better than just standard screws and plate style etc.

I will point out a very minor problem here. (mainly to chris) that the Volume control knob fell off in the case as I took it out. The guitar had been travelling to me for a few days and will have been rattled around in a van. This was nothing a quick tighten of the screw couldn't fix (took about 5 seconds). This was a very minor problem (slightly scewing my "Solid Construction" statement), credit to the guitar it was virtually perfectly in tune out the box.

Sound wise, this guitar has a nice slightly dark character to my ears. It has good attack and resonates/sustains nicely with some nice harmonic qualities coming through while playing. The Juggernaughts are as expected - Tight, Aggressive; yet very dynamic. The pickups respond well to playing dynamics. Heavy riffs are clear and defined, while clean tones have nice clarity and warmth. The bridge pickup is not overly piercing and is very usable for a variety of cleans/leads. Compared to my BKP "Aftermaths" the set seems more in unison between bridge and neck, the tonal difference between the b&n aftermath seems wider and less coherent. Highly recommend the Juggs.

When playing about with ambient clean tones this guitar feels very "alive" chimey/bell like high end nots are very pleasing to the ear. The bridge pickup with its slight slant seems to aid the tone. It slants away from the bridge (treble side). This seems to prevent its tone becoming overly harsh, yet leaving the bass side to remain tight. Switching to distortion needed some tweaking on the Axe Fx. This is my first 7 so I had to adjust my tones to suit. The guitar sounds nice and full with strong attack perfect for progressive style riffing.

Playability wise its very comfortable, not to heavy with comfortable carves. The neck is thin but not Ibanez "Wizard" thin. It has enough substance to feel strong and solid. Another thing to note is how useful the input recess is. It stops the lead from getting caught/bending and sends it out of the guitar at an angle that makes it easy to wrap round the strap. Nice touch, however it might aestheticly not be to ever ones taste.

I personally would prefer to have the pickup switch in the 1st position as I change pick-up a lot. It is currently in the middle of the three controls and as it switches horizontally (as in from bridge to headstock) I have fumbled it a few times and messed up. If it switched les paul style (from bass to treble side) it may be better but each to their own!!!! I hope people understand what I mean here!!!!

I think that many people may see this as Blackmachine b6 style guitar or do I dare say "Copy" due to its construction. Ive had a few comments already which I think is sad and slightly unfair due to the amount of features and the price tag of the Syren. I am sure this guitar will be a good much and cost effective alternative to anyone looking to get something along the lines of the BM/Feline B6's or at least a seven string version, however this is for someone with more experience than me to give an opinion on. The Syren is simply, a simple; well executed superstrat.

In all I am very happy with this guitar, there are almost no issues with it, maybe one very small wood blip by the nut, but absolutely nothing to worry about at all. The construction is solid and the tones are great, for the money I paid I feel as if I got an awful lot.

As you can see this is alot of guitar for the money, packed with features! 2014 Prices up on sabre FB page! There are a few custom options available such as Strandberg Endure Neck, BKP upgrade and even multi-scale etc. I highly recommend them!!!!. As Chris perfects the batch production process with feedback ect. these will only get better. If you are on the look out for a serious performance guitar with a reasonable budget i suggest you do your research and give this series a serious consideration!!!!

Attached Files:

2. TraE

TraE SS.org Regular

Beautiful guitar, man. That ebony is DARK.

Also, that input jack cavity is super duper slick. Never seen that before.

3. JKM777

JKM777 SS.org Regular

Mate, the jack-socket is such a good idea. Until you use it its seems odd but then its like "o yh that really works" The ebony in the pics looks darker than it is, I have another custom which has Jet Black ebony but the syrens is still really nice!

4. ikarus

ikarus SS.org Regular

HNGD dude!

Very nice guitar but wrong section. ;)

5. Lorcan Ward

Lorcan Ward 7slinger

Looks awesome dude!!! Happy NGD!!

It looks top notch and sounds like a winner from your review. The brightness and lows of Swamp Ash and Wenge must work very well with the Juggernauts.

The pickup switch could probably be swapped. I saw people do that on guitars with similar electronic positioning.

Of course you are going to get the caparison to a B6. Think of it more as a tribute. Its a tried, tested and proven shape for modern metal guitars and using some of its features as an influence for your own guitars is perfectly ok. Every design came from somewhere so its great to see a ton of fresh lutheirs out on the scene with their own takes and approaches to shapes and features.

6. JKM777

JKM777 SS.org Regular

Lorcan, you are correct. I feel the sabre has got his own identity and some innovative ideas, which is why it deserves to stand as its own. I feel the internet haters will hate without consideration. Im currently building my own B6 inspired sevenstring and i have some ideas to move it away from the BM. Its much more a test of my own ability, getting a result that is as close as I can get to my inspiration. Mainly to see if I can work accurately. I have not expectation that I would get a result better or as good as the BM in my dreams. But its a good learning challenge, start as you would wish to finish! Plus chris and i have already talked about the switch! I just added you on FB btw

7. Erockomania

Erockomania Studio Geek

Killer deal and Chris is a solid guy to boot. I have a build coming in the next month or so as well! Even more stoked now ;)

8. JKM777

JKM777 SS.org Regular

Killer deal indeed, and yes Chris is great. Good luck with your build!

9. JKM777

JKM777 SS.org Regular

sorry not really a regular poster on here, where should it be?

10. TraE

TraE SS.org Regular

In the "Sevenstring Guitars" section. The mods may be nice enough to move it for you. Just shoot one a PM.

11. JKM777

JKM777 SS.org Regular

cheers, i went for the section with the most view/threads for exposure lol but will do!

12. Splinterhead

Splinterhead Sojourner Contributor

Very nice guitar! I like the simplicity and clean look. I've never seen a control cavity that shape before and that input jack location is very cool.:hbang:

13. Lifestalker

Lifestalker SS.org Regular

Love Sabre guitars! Hope to own one in the future.

14. steinmetzify

steinmetzify CHUG & SLUDGE

Open the cavity up and see if you can twist the switch a quarter turn in there. I've done it before with no issues.

HNGD man, it's smoking hot.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2014
  15. capoeiraesp

capoeiraesp Ormsby nutter

Looks great!
    The differences between this and a B6 far outweigh the similarities. Really, what is similar or identical about this to a B6 and only a B6?

16. Daf57

Daf57 5 7s in 4ths

That's so sharp! I love that finish! Congrats! :)

17. Alcoholocaust

Alcoholocaust SS.org Regular

LOVE that input jack route!
    I'm forever breaking cables from leaning on them in br00tz headbang stance.

18. Coreysaur

Coreysaur SS.org Regular

I think I have major crush on wenge necks so this is definitely a winwin + use of juggernouts makes it even better. HNGD man!

19. FrashyFroo

FrashyFroo SS.org Regular

Dat neck though! Wenge is oficially my favorite wood. :bowdown:

20. mjbg

mjbg SS.org Regular

looks great

how much did you paid?