Reaction score
12771819_1655109278088045_6463001115516681121_o.jpg
12768332_1655109251421381_340060641831578969_o.jpg
12771516_1655109231421383_253953694713966582_o.jpg
12771915_1655109331421373_1876451868837283245_o.jpg
12496354_1655109364754703_6804396455071981273_o.jpg
1933196_1655109398088033_8936031327002038420_o.jpg

NGD!
Great body shape. I always loved RGA's. Setup was really good from the factory, just needed some minor adjustments. Fusion Edge pickups are quite "OK", voiced for modern/djenty metal. They somewhat reminded me of D-Activators / Aftermaths. The satin finish, transparent black and carved horns really set this guitar apart from your common RG. Neck is super comfy, fretboard is really beautiful.

The fretboard ebony looks like Makassar ebony, as there are some stripes on it. There's no coat or paint, as seen on other manufacturer's guitars (epiphone mkh has paint and clearcoat on the fretboard to make it look more "blackened").

Fretwork is on spot. Forget your old iron label ....ty fret job.

The Gibraltar is super comfy. I guess I'll upgrade it to the hipshot gibraltar replacement as soon as it hits the shelves (Hipshot already has one for 7 strings gibraltar and plans on releasing the 6 version during this year, as stated on their FB page).

Thanks to the Gotoh magnum lock, tuning stability is spot on. When it comes down to fixed brigde ibanez, the first thing I upgrade are the ....ty tuners. In this case, I have no need to.

I switched the coilswitch and the volume pot, removed completely the miniswitch for coil splitting, installed a dimarzio ep1112 5 way blade and some custom handmade pickups that a friend of mine manufactured for me a year ago. They are like underwounded Titans with alnico retainers (juggernaut concept) and less wire. Pickups were put in a dimarzio f spaced housing, so I ordered some custom raw nickel covers from my friend @ Axesrus.

SPECS
Mahogany Body
Maple Top - satin finish
3pc Maple/Bubinga neck, 25.5" scale
Ebony fretboarrd
3 Way switch + split coil switch
Gibraltar II Bridge
Gotoh Magnum Lock Tuners
Daddario 11-56 tuned to drop C

PICKUPS
Dimarzio Fusion Edge (neck)
Dimarzio Fusion Edge (bridge)

UPGRADES
Custom hand-wounded pickups w/ custom cover
Hipshot O-Ring Knob
Coilsplit switch removed
Dimarzio EP1112 5 way switch

I recorded a quick demo with the guitar yesterday. Pretty sloppy playing and some mistakes here and there. This is a backing track with Kemper straight into the DAW. No post processing, no adjusting and no editing

[SC]https://soundcloud.com/onyria/simon-j-gillman-onyria-rose-of-sharyn[/SC]

TL;DR: a great guitar, workhorse, very light, usable and good on the eye.

kevdes93

Sassy
Reaction score
That looks awesome with the pickup covers. I totally want one of these when they start showing up used

metallic1

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
nice guitar man, congrats!, interesting story on the pickups,
they sound killer!, cool sound clip too,
im gonna have fun soloing over that clip today :)
i wouldnt change the bridge, there really is no upgrade
for the gibraltar II, you will most likely end up re installing it.

Mathemagician

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
The old boxy Gibraltars were uncomfortable, the new ones are pretty awesome. I'd hold off on the bridge swap. These new RGA's look awesome.

089Ray

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
HNGD!

Why "upgrade" the bridge when you say that the bridge is super comfy?

I do like the hipshot look and feel, but after playing this for a couple of hours I'm starting to think that the swap is not mandatory

nice guitar man, congrats!, interesting story on the pickups,
they sound killer!, cool sound clip too,
im gonna have fun soloing over that clip today :)
i wouldnt change the bridge, there really is no upgrade
for the gibraltar II, you will most likely end up re installing it.

Haha, thanks bro! Let me check out if you don't mind recording your solo!

The old boxy Gibraltars were uncomfortable, the new ones are pretty awesome. I'd hold off on the bridge swap. These new RGA's look awesome.

Yeah they basically lowered the bridge "ears" and sides, thus having nothing between your palm and the saddles. The old gibraltar sucked

Congrats man! Nice playing !

Thanks!

089Ray

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
What "color" pickup cover are those? I love that gold.

Those are 'raw' nickel pickup covers
Axesrus sells a variety of them, in almost every configuration (dimarzio spacing, which is very narrow, like 51mm for f.spacing, regular spacing, 6 holes, no holes etc)
Check em out, brilliant products!

Lotra

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Finally Ibanez heard my prays ...a new RGA ...but in my opinion they fu#$ up with that plastic binding at the fretboard ...it looks so cheap..
Congrats mate for the new guitar

089Ray

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Finally Ibanez heard my prays ...a new RGA ...but in my opinion they fu#$ up with that plastic binding at the fretboard ...it looks so cheap..
Congrats mate for the new guitar

I must agree on this
The binding is plain plastic, pretty different from the natural maple binding on the jbm100. If these new rga will sell well maybe Ibanez will consider doing Premium Rga's or prestige ones again.

A-Branger

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I must agree on this
The binding is plain plastic, pretty different from the natural maple binding on the jbm100. If these new rga will sell well maybe Ibanez will consider doing Premium Rga's or prestige ones again.

I actually like the white binding on the guitar/neck

one of the reason I love this model so much

:wavey:

aciek_l

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Only binding acceptable for is the natural one. Obviously they couldn't do it in this new RGA beacause the "top" in only a veneer...
But anyways, great to see RGA series back and hear, that the guitar is simply good! I must admit, that despite the binding and "fake" top, it looks just great!

weirdoku

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Please don't ruin this with the hipshot bridge. Hipshot bridges doesn't look 'Ibanez' at all in my opinion. If I could have gotten hold of a Gibraltar II bridge for my semi custom I would have picked the Gibraltar over the Hipshot.

blckrnblckt

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
This model is probably the best looking new Ibanez in the past few years. Let's be real, most RGs look nearly the same, so this RGA body with the finish is really refreshing. HNGD.

089Ray

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Please don't ruin this with the hipshot bridge. Hipshot bridges doesn't look 'Ibanez' at all in my opinion. If I could have gotten hold of a Gibraltar II bridge for my semi custom I would have picked the Gibraltar over the Hipshot.

Woah! You're like the first person who prefers an ibanez bridge to hipshot stuff. Mind sharing some experiences? And some pictures of your semi custom as well? :)

I must confess that I wanted to swap to Hipshot before getting the guitar, just for the "sake" of it. I had great experiences with hipshot stuff (had plenty of their open gear tuners sets, and the bridge on both my long gone km6 and km7) and thought I was going to hate this bridge as I hated the 1st gibraltar. Wished they put the Tight-End or Tight-End-R on this but honestly, the more I play it the more i like it as it is.

I'm pretty confident I'm going to keep the bridge at this point
Can't wait to get the 7 and mod it like this!