NGD/Review: Washburn Parallaxe Solar 17ETC (the EverTune one)

Discussion in 'Sevenstring Guitars' started by LeviathanKiller, Nov 17, 2018.

1. LeviathanKiller

LeviathanKiller Knee-shooting Archer

TL;DR Buy this if you want a 25.5" scale EverTune guitar

Specs
    • Alder body with forearm contour
    • Carbon black finish
    • Black hardware
    • Maple neck (set-neck)
    • 25.5" scale length
    • Ebony fretboard
    • 16" fretboard
    • Frets 24 jumbo nickel frets
    • Grover tuners
    • EverTune bridge
    • Buzz Feiten Tuning System

Guitar
    • The body shape is pretty cool. I like the carved/scalloped sections in between the horns and neck.
    • I have just simply not jived with the scale length. It's almost doable but I get cramped in the upper register.
    • I noticed the inlay has a bit of black bleeding into it at the frets. My Solar does a bit too but less than this Washburn one. Inlay looks cool on both though.
    • All of the hardware is top notch. No scratchy pots or anything. The switch is very solid. Doesn't feel cheap and clicky like some switches can. A nice "thunk" when moving it.
    • I am pro back-of-the-body strap pin. It'll poke you sometimes depending on how you sit with the guitar, but whenever you're using a strap (especially when standing) it's more comfortable than a guitar where the strap pin comes straight out of the horn. It looks better aesthetically as well.
    • This guitar is fairly heavy. Any guitar with an EverTune bridge is though. It's more noticeable because you feel that added weight in one specific place unlike a guitar that's getting the heavy weight from the wood only.
    • Mine came with a scuff mark on the horn where the strap attaches. Don't if this was from the factory or by the dealer but it was minor and I didn't notice it for months actually.
    • EverTune bridge
      • Ease of use
        • SUPER easy to use in my opinion. Except for the weight, I love love love this bridge. Feels very comfortable. I haven't noticed any noise from it unlike some other people.
      • Stability
        • I have tuned this guitar maybe once or twice over the past year since I got it. That's insane for owning a guitar in the southern US where the temps vary throughout the seasons quite a bit.

Duncan Solar pickups
    • The Duncan Solar pickups aren't muddy but I wouldn't recommend them to anyone on the basis of clarity. They have a sort of closed, compressed feel. They chug and chug. If you're chasing Ola's tone, these are a pretty good piece of getting it. I really liked the neck pickup. No complaints about it.
    • The output is medium I'd say and the coil split sounds are great.
    • Alnico 5 magnets in both bridge and neck I believe
    • I prefer the sound of these in my swamp ash Solar than this alder body though. They have more clarity and aggression in swamp ash.

Overall
    • I was late on posting this review since it's been a year since I got it. I had every intention of keeping it but the scale length has just kept fighting against me. I held on to it anyway for this long because of the amazing EverTune bridge and everything else being absolutely rock solid but I've finally gotten a 26.5" EverTune model now and so I can finally let this go. If it wasn't for the scale length, this would not be leaving my collection. If 25.5" scale is something you like and you're wanting to get an EverTune guitar, I'd definitely recommend this guitar especially since I don't see that Ola is going to release 25.5" seven-strings from his brand yet.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Wolfhorsky, pecado, setsuna7 and 5 others like this.
  2. AkiraSpectrum

AkiraSpectrum SS.org Regular

Nice, solid axe!
    Can't go wrong with an evertune.

LeviathanKiller likes this.
  3. Kyle Jordan

Kyle Jordan Ace of Knaves

One of the stealthy aspects that caused me to prefer my 8 string neck over my 6 strings is the added space between frets. I couldn't put my finger on it (...) for a while, but once I realized, it became completely obvious. Even as I look for 6 and 7 string guitars now, I'm eyeing ones with longer scales first. The rumor that Ibanez may bring the XL Baritones back has me giddy.

Thank you for the review. My next guitar will either have an Evertune from the factory, or will be modded to fit one.

4. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

im seriously considering sending a guitar to them in the future to retro fit with an Evertune. (or trade in some for store credit and order a new axe with one already - whichever I decide is best for me at that time)

would make gigging an amazing experience.

5. LeviathanKiller

LeviathanKiller Knee-shooting Archer

#1 Cheapest option is to buy one already equipped with one.

#2 is to buy a guitar that they say they can get from a distributor and then install the bridge for you. That costs about $300 for just the bridge but because they got a discount when they bought the guitar on your behalf, your installation (usually ~$300) is free.

#3 is to send in your guitar. This costs about $300 for the bridge, about $300 for the installation, and also the price of shipping to them (they pay back shipping iirc).

And btw, they don't buy Agiles on your behalf while giving you a free installation price (they don't get a discount). I tried. :lol:

lewis, AkiraSpectrum and Kyle Jordan like this.