NGD: PRS SVN

Discussion in 'Sevenstring Guitars' started by Nicki, Jan 12, 2020.

1. Nicki

Nicki SS.org Regular

Went to the music store where my S2 is on order yesterday on my way home from taking the dog to the vet. I've been playing my RGD2127Z more as of recently and noticed it was overdue for a good cleaning and set up so it's going to go into the shop. I don't want to be without a seven string in the meantime so I justified this purchase that way. Also, it gets me used to the PRS neck so that when my S2 comes in March, it won't be such a drastic adjustment.

I'll start by saying this guitar is going to take some getting used to. BOY'S GOT A FAT ASS! While the neck is super comfortable to play on and the fretwork is stellar for a non-american made guitar, having been used to the RG and super-strat style bodies, my right arm fatigued quicker on this guitar than any of my other ones due to the bottom of the body being much wider than I'm used to. However, I'm loving this guitar and I'm going to enjoy the heck out of it.

Also worth noting, these guitars have been discontinued in favor of an Mark Holcomb SE SVN. So if you see one of the regular SVN's and have thought about buying it, do it. They won't be around in stores much longer.

Pictures:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And the obligatory pet picture because he's adorable:

[​IMG]

2. shupe13

shupe13 SS.org Regular

Congrats!

3. Empryrean

Empryrean Plucks strings

gorgeous, cute doggie too!

4. AkiraSpectrum

AkiraSpectrum SS.org Regular

congrats!
    I have one of the older 25" PRS SE 7's (which is a great guitar) and I have a similar experience with right-arm fatigue. Something about the wide body and shallow bevel I feel.

For the price PRS SE-7's and the SVN's are well-made and play great. Enjoy!

Zanmato86 likes this.
  5. AdenM

AdenM Illuminaughty

Interesting, I didn't realize the SVN was going away - they are aesthetically/specwise a bit of an oddball in the lineup with the Holcomb entering in, though.

6. exo

exo SS.org Regular

Honestly.....if PRS has any sort of “real” interest in the 7+string community, what they NEED to do is use the PRS SVN specs with some of the first run SE7 finishes......

7. Nicki

Nicki SS.org Regular

In my humble opinion, if PRS was serious about supporting the 7 string community as a whole, they'd have a SVN model in every range they offer and wouldn't have discontinued the SE line. Instead, the SE SVN would stick around, they'd have an S2 SVN, CE SVN and core SVN (although there's a private stock custom 24 7 which costs $10k...).

Last edited: Jan 12, 2020
    ESPImperium likes this.
  8. exo

exo SS.org Regular

Sorta, kinda my point. “We” seem to not understand that in the grand scheme of it all....were still “niche”.

I’m just glad that a few “major manufacturers” have felt that “we” are worth actually addressing.....

9. jwade

jwade Doooooooooom

I didn’t know there was a plain black version! I’ve only seen the gray black and black cherry. This must not be through l&m, where’d you get this?

10. Noisy Humbucker

Noisy Humbucker Only obsesses over guitars when not playing them.

I like your though process. It’s utterly ridiculous, but I like it. Happy NGD!

11. Nicki

Nicki SS.org Regular

This is the black cherry. Tundra apparently can get a purple Amethyst colour though. It's on their site.

12. Nicki

Nicki SS.org Regular

Well when you only have one seven string...

TomParenteau likes this.
  13. jwade

jwade Doooooooooom

I definitely had my screen set too dark. Totally thought it was solid black. Dang.

14. btbg

btbg SS.org Regular

That's the older CU24 7 string SE. 25" scale on that one.

Also Tundra Music is fucking terrible.

Happy NGD! I've got the same one. Blacked out all the creme, tossed in some Elysian humbuckers and some locking tuners, satin'd down the neck and it's one of my favorite 7's i've ever owned.

Was going to pick up the black one too, but discontinued with the Holcomb replacing it, so I ordered that instead :D

AkiraSpectrum likes this.
  15. TomParenteau

TomParenteau Tube & Analog Snob

Excellent guitar! I wish they would put a massive wraparound 7-string bridge on them.

16. Nicki

Nicki SS.org Regular

Agreed about Tundra. I've never bought anything from them but honestly, even just talking to them about prices and availability is a terrible experience.

What locking tuners did you put in? I'm looking for a set that don't require drilling any new holes for the screws but the only ones I've found are from Gotoh. I haven't ordered any yet as I'm just not sure if anything is going to fit without modification.

Also, how are the Elysians? I'm a fan of the Sentient and Pegasus combo and was going to put those in this guitar but getting a trembucker is challenging. Plus, they don't sell a set with a trembucker, just the normal spacing. So I'd have to order them as separate parts which makes it even more costly.

On the topic of customization, here's what's going to happen with this guitar now that I've spent a few days getting comfortable with it.

- Schaller strap locks (installed those today).
    - Blacked out pickup rings
    - Locking tuners
    - Swapping the knobs for metal ones
    - Swapping out the cap on the blade switch (ordered the flat one that's on the S2s from reverb)
    - Pickup swap (undecided on which set)

17. ESPImperium

ESPImperium @ESPImperium

Congrats! Welcome to the PRS club, Im 4 in, and ive not sold one yet.

As for your modifications of the SVN, id list these as good ones:
    - Schaller Trap Locks (Already done)
    - Gotoh SG381-07 MGT Locking Tuners 7-String Small Keys L3+R4 Set 3x4 (As they are an easy retrofit into the existing holes, and they are 60 or something grammes lighter, good if you have neck dive)

What ive done other to my SE Mushock baritone, and if i can get a SE SVN:
    - PRS USA Electronics; switch, pots & jack.
    - PRS Plastic Parts: Knobs, switch tip

Pickups id suggest:
    - Pickups to what you want, id suggest a Seymour Duncan Nazgul or Pegesus in the bridge with a Sentient in the neck, possible 5 way switching for versatility? All depends on what you like i suppose, and what tones you require.

I have kept my Mushock as a sleeper, it looks pretty much as it should, but when it comes to it, its a USA Guitar in a Korean made body.

18. Nicki

Nicki SS.org Regular

I did see the Gotoh locking tuners on reverb. They're a bit pricey on there and shipping is stupidly expensive. I'm trying to source them from a local shop and get pricing to see if it works out cheaper.

Upgrading the pots will be something I do in the far future as I'm okay with the ones that are in there now but today I ordered new knobs, a Tusq nut (noticed the E string going out of tune frequently throughout the week) and black plastic pickup rings. I've also got the PRS S2 blade switch cap on the way from a Reverb seller so that'll go in. Three way toggle + push/pull tone pot is fine for me.

As for the pickups, I do have a Sentient and Pegasus in my telecaster and I love the sound of those pickups. I may get a set for this guitar as well but I'm looking around for other options that I might like.

19. ESPImperium

ESPImperium @ESPImperium

I see now. If you like the Sentient and Pegasus, id stay with them. I have a Nazgul in my Les Paul and Im going with that that for my SVN when i get it.

The pots are a good upgrade, but if you are fine, fair play. I suppose we like different things, but via different routes. the Tusq nut is a good upgrade, that's one i have also done to my Mushock, took a second one to get it right for me.

I see that the trade tariffs must be crippling Gotoh in the USA, as they are only about £70 shipped here, if not less for a 6 string set, a 7 string set ill be Morelia import. Schaller ones are as good, but heavy, really heavy.

Its the thing i like about the PRS SE line, even the S2 line is also a great base for some upgrades.

Nicki likes this.
  20. btbg

btbg SS.org Regular

Finding a 7 string trembucker is going to be difficult because... there isn’t one. To my knowledge there’s really no “trem spacing” for 7 string guitars.

I went with the Gotoh locking tuners, and the Elysian Hades for me surpasses any SD or Dimarzio offering.

Nicki and AkiraSpectrum like this.