NGD! PRS Private Stock # 4919 Paul's Guitar in Rainforest Glow Maple Sandwich!

Discussion in 'Standard Guitars' started by HighGain510, Oct 13, 2014.

1. protest

protest SS.org Regular

If you wind up putting 59/09's in you might want to grab some rosewood pickup rings.

2. Andromalia

Andromalia Pardon my french

Yeah, yeah. Sure. I'm totally believing that.

3. SeditiousDissent

SeditiousDissent i drove bus

Ho Lee Fuk! That's not a guitar, it's a work of art. Knowing what Private Stock guitars generally run, I think you got an absolute bargain considering how beautiful it is. I had never seen the Rainforest Green finish before now and I'm blown away by it. It's a few days late, but Happy NGD! I think I found my new desktop wallpaper :metal:

4. absolutorigin

absolutorigin SS.org Regular

Very nice! Rainforest glow is such a badass finish. Rainforest has always been one of my favorites so this is just does it for me. That back is better than most tops :D!

5. MAJ Meadows SF

MAJ Meadows SF on a tone quest

your front yard, staring into your window
    That color... wow. Just wow. And on the back too. Phenomenal stuff.

I've never been a fan of the 408 pickups, but that's just a personal thing. I'd love to hear one of these with proper humbuckers. Not necessarily a metal oriented set, just something to compliment the woods and character.

Regardless, HNGD, so badass.

6. Jason2112

Jason2112 I'm old school

I can't believe I clicked on another one of you NGD posts. I told myself I was gonna stop and, well, here I am. Moths can't seem to stay away from flames I guess.... and that guitar's got some serious flames (you see what I just did there....). HNGD number 642 or something. :D

7. skydizzle

skydizzle SS.org Regular

Wow that guitar is beautiful!

8. Sean Ashe

Sean Ashe SS.org Regular

damn. she's purdy

9. Timelesseer

Timelesseer SS.org Regular

Wow man, one of the nicest PRS's I've ever seen. Oddly enough, I think the back looks nicer than the front, but the front is still an 11/10. Unbelievable guitar man! Glad you were able to get it, even despite having to deal with the GC stuff.

10. Blue1970Cutlass

Blue1970Cutlass emberwolfmusic.com

Gahd that green is incredible!
    I get the "rainforest green" moniker 'cause it looks like the guitar is covered with variegated leaves or something

11. DISTORT6

DISTORT6 NJ DEVIL

Another beauty!
    Those brass inserts on the bridge look very interesting. Any differences that you can hear?
    Congrats, Matt and HNPRSPSD! :yesway:

12. rifftrauma

rifftrauma Trapped in time... Contributor

13. HRC51

HRC51 SS.org Regular

Lovely guitar. I have 59/09's in my PRS -- great pickups.

14. jemfloral

jemfloral SS.org Regular

100% agreed. The colour is so classy, and the 20th-anniversary-style birds will probably always be my favorite PRS inlay. Happy NGD and congrats on the triumph over the lame GC assistant manager :lol:

15. Zado

Zado SS.org Regular

Someday I will see you with a Knaggs:fawk:

16. technomancer

technomancer Gearus Pimptasticus Super Moderator

The hilarious thing is that store has at least 3 other PRS Private Stocks with similar ridiculous prices.

Matt: I think I'd leave the Paul's pickups in this one just for the variety in tone. You've already got the 59/09s in 4346 :D

17. ihave27frets

ihave27frets SS.org Regular

18. ferret

ferret Not worthy

I want this finish so bad it hurts.

19. protest

protest SS.org Regular

Just to stay on the GC train, here's one of the pics another store is using for a Private Stock:

[​IMG]

The color is "Purple Mist Burst" in case it wasn't obvious from the photo. Also I believe it does have knobs, though I'm not sure how many... This is seriously the picture you use to show off a $6,500 guitar? ...Friggin Guitar Center.

20. HighGain510

HighGain510 Contributor

Haha I think I'm with you guys, I prefer the maple on the back to the maple on the top! :lol: They're both killer cuts of wood, but the maple back cap is glorious! :wub:

Yeah I had a 408 and the neck pickup was great but I wasn't thrilled with the enlarged bridge 408 pickup personally. I had actually reached out to the PTC to see if I could have that one routed for hums as the guitar itself was fantastic, I just wasn't getting along with the big 408 bridge pickup which was pretty important for me since I spend most of my time on the bridge pickup. :lol: Sadly they said the pickup was too large to route it for humbuckers cleanly, but this one might be different, still not sure until I yank the pickups and lay down the humbucker rings to see if it will cover the whole 408 route. That being said, I like how the neck pickup sounds and the bridge pickup on this one is the "Paul's bridge" which is like a hotter 408, so it seems to sound pretty darn good stock. Just more of a curiosity deal than anything, would be interesting to try out a 57/08 or 59/09 (or some other set that would work well with a rosewood neck) but with the proprietary pickup size that makes things a little funky to say the least. ;)

Well my 408 had a trem, but I've had a bunch of hardtail CU22's before so I think the only main difference is that it's *slightly* more brilliant-sounding overall in the highs. Not a monstrous difference in my guitar specifically, although since it's rosewood I expected it to be much darker than it is, so maybe that's part of why it doesn't sound as dark overall? :)

Maybe, I know Joe makes nice stuff but I haven't played one and his stuff is fairly pricey for the builds with figured maple or inlays so I'm not sure I'll buy one unless I come across a killer deal. I have definitely wanted to check out a Severn though! :agreed:

Yeah I don't know who is doing the "research" at that store or if the GM is just ignorant to what his assistant manager is doing, but their used PS prices (and other PRS prices) are ridiculous. They still have the other PS this guy dropped there tagged at $3K+ more than it sold for NEW, so not sure what the hell they're doing over there as their used pricing is not accurate whatsoever. :wallbash: I may leave it stock, who knows! It doesn't sound BAD so I'm not necessarily in a rush to try to mod this one or anything. :lol: All my other guitars have dual hums so maybe a little uniqueness to the voicing of the 408/Paul's pickups is not a bad thing. :D

Thanks Pete! :wub: I heard the snippet you posted on FB this morning, SO stoked to hear your new material brother!!! :D We don't see you on here much anymore, hope you start popping in more often again, always cool to see what you're up to these days! :yesway: