NGD: PRS Perfection!

TKOA-Dex

Master of Thall
Reaction score
Crappy dorm room pics first, success story later.

2ezpcw0.jpg

2zei269.jpg

sl7fo0.jpg

167ouwl.jpg

2mmr0x.jpg

Okay, so sorry for the crappy pics. This PRS SE is to me, one of my dream guitars (yes, affordable as it is.) I have wanted a PRS 7 string ever since I have came across them. my PERFECT one would have been the purple one, but upon receiving this one, I have zero regrets! The blue looks amazing! (and ironically matches my bedspread)

I traded for this an Ibanez S series 7 that I had, I ran by this by luck. the guy commented on another post on the Gear exchange group by Wired Guitarist on Facebook. I PM'ed him and he was interested in trading! And I had it shipped to my new home, my college dorm, a few weeks later.

So review time:
Im a little spoiled as this guitar came pre-upgraded by the previous owner with Seymour Duncan Nazgul and Sentient pickups which I can now confidently say are my new favorite pickups, more so than my DiMarzio titans. The neck pickup is the best I've ever heard and the bridge is so tight and clear.

The body and build of the guitar is phenomenal too. I was expecting an SE would have a veneer top but no! I was surprised when I unboxed this and was greeted by a thick, beautiful flame maple top! Even the back wood they picked superb grain on. the body is contoured comfortably and is no problem to play. The neck is a great profile. Wider than the typical ibanez neck, but still nice, flat, and playable. It's really a perfect medium for me. Im overall stunned by the build. even though it's an overseas guitar, it feels like a US made guitar! (not that I've played many US guitars for longer than a couple riffs) The attention to detail is just amazing.

This is one of the few guitars I actually really love the silver hardware on. I think it looks good with the deep blue color. he finish reminds me fondly of days out on the ocean off south florida. the finish on the back of the neck isn't too thick either. I can easily slide up and down the neck. And I have a soft spot for the beautiful bird inlays! and on top of a lovely dark rosewood board to boot! awesome fretwork on this too. so smooth to play! Im wondering what the frets are. They look a little differently colored. Maybe thats just patina from age though.

honestly this is probably the best guitar I've owned. I just feel so at home on it already. I feel like mark holcomb when I play it! It helps that I have a guitar strap signed by him, haha. Overall just an awesome guitar!

Though I did have one question: Is the bridge directly swappable for a hipshot? if not ill just grab some saddles for it, if I can remember the Email to do so. might get some grip-lock tuners to boot as well, just to make this the best guitar ever.

77zark77

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Congrats mate ! I own a very similar with a BKP Coldsweat set and it's really nice to play

:yesway: :)

Dusty Chalk

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
HNGD! I have two in the blue, and both of them have turned green (one more so than the other). In my case, it's not a problem, I don't really like blue, but just thought I'd warn you. Do keep us apprised as you play with the tuners and bridge -- I honestly don't know the answer to your question. I'm perfectly happy with the bridge, but plan on taking at least one to the PTC to get a piezo installed.

TKOA-Dex

Master of Thall
Reaction score
ah, thank you Sebsnilksz, still looks better nonetheless!

And Dusty, the bridge and tuners are quite nice as is. I don't NEED to change them. Just thought it might be a nice upgrade. I love them. and what do you mean they turn green? pictures?

fogcutter

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
HNGD!

From the sounds of it, you shouldn't worry about mods for a while ... enjoy playing it!

Dusty Chalk

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
And Dusty, the bridge and tuners are quite nice as is. I don't NEED to change them. Just thought it might be a nice upgrade.
Understood. I'm "upgrading" my pickups, and by "upgrading", I mean, "potentially downgrading" (you never know what a pickup is going to sound like until you install it).
what do you mean they turn green? pictures?
aqn4d8ypsyjyycxe3dqg.jpg

pbec22qn4hayyqz1imzh.jpg

This is not photoshop, this is REAL LIFE!:nuts::fawk::lol:

The other one is only part way -- it's right on the cusp of blue-green...or is it green-blue...?

Mangle

Breaker
Reaction score
I second playing the guitar to within an inch of it's life and then getting your upgrades on. So much fun doing that.... and then sprucing 'er up. HNGD, she's a real looker!

TKOA-Dex

Master of Thall
Reaction score
Understood. I'm "upgrading" my pickups, and by "upgrading", I mean, "potentially downgrading" (you never know what a pickup is going to sound like until you install it).
aqn4d8ypsyjyycxe3dqg.jpg

pbec22qn4hayyqz1imzh.jpg

This is not photoshop, this is REAL LIFE!:nuts::fawk::lol:

The other one is only part way -- it's right on the cusp of blue-green...or is it green-blue...?

Whoa! was that the dark blue one like mine or the lighter turquoise one? if its the dark blue, that is gonna be an awesome transformation!

and note taken, I shall enjoy her as is :D seriously though, the nazgul/sentient set= my new favorite pups. makes this thing sound like a monster

Ian King

TheThoughtWalrus
Reaction score
The blue-green looks better than the blue :lol:
Anyways HNDG! I have one of these in the vintage sunburst! Very nice guitar for the price

Dusty Chalk

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Whoa! was that the dark blue one like mine or the lighter turquoise one? if its the dark blue, that is gonna be an awesome transformation!

and note taken, I shall enjoy her as is :D seriously though, the nazgul/sentient set= my new favorite pups. makes this thing sound like a monster
I didn't realize there were multiple blues. This one used to be "sapphire"; I call this colour, "sapphire green".

Dusty Chalk

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
It makes sense. I just got an old style ZM (solidbody, 3 pickups) in the same color (the darker blue, not the greenable blue). I was hoping with a UV lamp I could bleed it out to blue-green/green-blue, but if it's going to take a ridonkulous amount of time, maybe I'll just live with it. It's kind of growing on me (it's my first blue guitar -- blue without purple, that is, I do have a violet or two).
darn, I wanted a blue-green guitar, lol.
I know, right? That's pretty much why I bought the ZM. I'll let you know if I have any luck greening mine -- I was at a friend's wine store yesterday, and she said the light in her cheese cooler bleaches the color out of everything, but it doesn't affect the taste, and my first thought was, "that's exactly the light I want", so I may still be able to pull it off.