NGD - PRS McCarty

Discussion in 'Standard Guitars' started by JD27, Jul 25, 2016.

1. juka

juka SS.org Regular

As PRS always claims that Phase II/III will not fit / cannot be installed on a McCarty :scratch: I went with Gotoh Vintage locking tuners. I would have preferred Phase III, but PTC absolutely refuses to do so.

PTC will never tell what magic they actually perform when you order "the rosewood treatment of extreme awesomeness". But afterwards the neck feels extremely awesome indeed.It's like everything we like about a solid rosewood neck gets boosted. The rosewood feels even more silkier, smoother,... than before. :bowdown:

2. JD27

JD27 ESP Cult Member

Not sure why that would be, other than the screw holes not matching. Mine were nicely filled in so you can't see where the originals were without looking very closely.

I live close to the PRS factory, wonder if I could just drop it off:lol: Says rosewood treatment is $100.

3. Vrollin

Vrollin SS.org Regular

I reckon it'd be along the lines of a fine sanding and light oil of sorts. What else can they really do?
    Did you have any issues with fitting a covered Duncan in the Prs rings? I wanna change the bridge out in mine to something mid range output but to match the square bobbin of the neck the closest I can get is a Matt black covered non trem spaced pickup...

4. JD27

JD27 ESP Cult Member

No, the Duncan's dropped right in. I really like these Saturday Night Specials, dropped a set in my Full Thickness Eclipse too. They sound much hotter than the output might suggest.

5. Vrollin

Vrollin SS.org Regular

I have a custom 5 sitting in its box that was destined for the 4020 but I wound up putting an unorientated rough cast A5 magnet in the JB and it brought it where I wanted it to be. So I'm gunna try that in the p22 and see how it goes. It's trem spaced and zebra though so will look like balls so I'll have to order another to suit if it's a winner, otherwise I have another non trem JB to go in there. Between that and discovering this magnet swapping business I have a million options on hand...

6. JD27

JD27 ESP Cult Member

I so want to swap the A8 from my SH-15 and put it in a Black Winter bridge. I've never tried swapping magnets though.

7. Vrollin

Vrollin SS.org Regular

It's so easy it's laughable, I'll link you up to the easiest to follow video when I get home!

Found it, https://youtu.be/jXbzqQZu-Qk

Other videos will show you stripping the whole thing down when it just isn't necessary, enough room to slip it out and back in is all that's required. Also his method of aligning the polarity is correct, I followed another method of aligning it in another video and it gave me a phase issue with both pickups on. Have a marker handy so you can mark the top of the mag and which side the pole pieces are on just to be sure.

8. hodorcore

hodorcore SS.org Regular

oh the baby, a real beauty!

9. RaulThrashMetal

RaulThrashMetal Metal Maniac

That's sweet.

10. Symbol

Symbol Well-Known Member

Damn! i'm waiting for my 2000 McCarty with Indian Rosewood neck to show up as well next tuesday! Almost identicall to yours just that mine had a cloudy-finish over it (due to improper storage but it still looks pretty sweet!)

11. Vrollin

Vrollin SS.org Regular

Just took delivery of one yesterday, the bridge pickup, wtf? I'm going to try give it a chance over the next week but thoughts so far are it's terrible. Does yours have the push pull tone pot and if so did you keep it and use it with the new pups?

12. JD27

JD27 ESP Cult Member

Appears that those are either love of hate, no in between. It did have a push pull pot which I reused with the Saturday Night Specials. They split nicely for the record.

13. Vrollin

Vrollin SS.org Regular

Nice, I'm going to have to lol up Duncan's wiring for it then! Have a 59 kicking around for the neck just need to figure out what to put in the bridge. Either a 59 bridge or a custom 5, run it as two volumes with the split coils option. It's a shame the bridge is a dud because the neck is quite nice, but worth more to me to sell them as a pair...

14. JD27

JD27 ESP Cult Member

I don't recall disliking the neck, it was definitely the bridge for me. That's an easy one to wire up.

[​IMG]