NGD: PRS Custom 24 Wood Library 10-Top

ItWillDo

KGB Apparatchik
Reaction score
View media item 4536
Recently I got into more ambient music and I wanted an axe that would serve the purpose, aside from the fact that I was just GAS'ing really hard for a PRS. After searching around on Reverb for a while, I fell completely in love with this Custom 24, where the finish, hardware & general aesthetic completely represent what I look for in a guitar.

Considering the store I bought it from already took great pictures, I will reuse those for the review here.

So what's pretty great about the guitar:

✅ Weight is good & nicely balanced. There's no neck dive, and weight also isn't uncomfortable to hold for longer sessions.

✅ The neck is fast ("pattern thin" profile) and feels really nice to the touch due to the satin finish. Downside is that the flame is so beautiful it tends to distract :wub:
View media item 4541
✅ Though I was pretty skeptical about the locking tuners at first, I have to admit that the Phase III's are pretty solid and comfortable in use.
View media item 4539
✅ The finish is absolutely impeccable and you can really tell that it's the work of (an) artisan(s). The pictures really don't do the "depth" of the finish any justice. The bookmatching is not completely symmetrical, but the flame on the maple is of such high quality that it doesn't really matter.
View media item 4536
✅ The ebony fretboard & matching headstock both have a very deep dark hue to match the finish.
View media item 4537

But sadly I have to admit there are also a few downsides to the guitar which were quickly apparent:

⛔️ The floating bridge is a little less stable than I had hoped, though I hope this could be related to the fact that the strings might need to "set-in" a bit more first.

⛔️ I'm honestly quite a bit disappointed by the PRS 85/15 pickups. While the cleans are decent for chords, once you add some overdrive to it, it gets really muddy quite quickly. In that regard, I'm considering swapping the PU's for some BKP Emeralds or any other recommendations you might have
View media item 4540
All in all, really happy about my purchase, but probably going to get it to a tech soon to swap the pick-ups. :agreed:

ArtDecade

Shoegazer
Reaction score
Cool guitar, but ambient music? Every guitar sounds the same after that much effects processing. It is like buying some of the most expensive Scotch around and pouring it into some RC Cola.

ItWillDo

KGB Apparatchik
Reaction score
Cool guitar, but ambient music? Every guitar sounds the same after that much effects processing. It is like buying some of the most expensive Scotch around and pouring it into some RC Cola.

Well, more like ambient shoegaze but I guess the same point remains. Either way, it does fit the mood better than my Mariposa even if it's psychosomatic :shrug:

Guamskyy

Hwat you call me?
Reaction score
Very beautiful guitar!! Keep in mind that if you’re wanting to keep the same switch + selection scheme, either the bridge or neck (don’t remember which) magnet poles of the news pickups need to be flipped. PRS be wonky

rokket2005

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
What are running it into that you think 85/15s are muddy? I have them in my semihollow special and 58/15 lts in my 594 and both guitars are anything but muddy.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
Gorgeous! I had a near identical custom 24 artist/WL and it wasnt muddy - whats your setup?

Crungy

I've made up mah mahnd, I ain't wastin no mo tahm
Reaction score
She's a looker, the neck and back are crazy good looking!

ItWillDo

KGB Apparatchik
Reaction score
What are running it into that you think 85/15s are muddy? I have them in my semihollow special and 58/15 lts in my 594 and both guitars are anything but muddy.
Gorgeous! I had a near identical custom 24 artist/WL and it wasnt muddy - whats your setup?
Thanks, I'm currently mostly using the default presets provided by the Axe FX III (namely the Friedman BE-100 and BigSky-like reverb patches), and most of these sounds amazing & very clear using my EBMM Mariposa (which has in-house custom wound EBMM pickups) when playing ringing chords.

But as soon as I try to play ringing chords with the PRS, the lower registers tend to get really muddy which gives me the idea the PU's might not be suited for higher-gain applications. I've tried adjusting the pickup height to see whether this might help, but the difference is negligible.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks, I'm currently mostly using the default presets provided by the Axe FX III (namely the Friedman BE-100 and BigSky-like reverb patches), and most of these sounds amazing & very clear using my EBMM Mariposa (which has in-house custom wound EBMM pickups) when playing ringing chords.

But as soon as I try to play ringing chords with the PRS, the lower registers tend to get really muddy which gives me the idea the PU's might not be suited for higher-gain applications. I've tried adjusting the pickup height to see whether this might help, but the difference is negligible.

i’ll try the BE100 factory preset next time im able to.

Musiscience

Tarnished
Reaction score
That finish is nice, happy NGD!

My CU24 has 85/15s and they are not muddy, so maybe your pickup height should be adjusted a bit?

Also, the bridge issue I’m pretty certain is the strings not being stretched enough. The bridge on these PRSi is really great. I had this issue with my AZ and it turns out it was just that after trying pretty much everything else.

ChrispyFinch

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
HNGD!
Really nice PRS you got. I love the mixed hardware, only thing id do is MAYBE swap to black PU rings.
I had a similar reaction when I got my custom 24, wasnt too keen on the pups, but after a ear break in im sold on them. Excellent pups for pretty much anything.
Enjoy!

rokket2005

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
So you have an Axe III, and rather than change settings, you want to swap pickups? This reminds me entirely too much of the sex ed scene from The Meaning of Life, "We have all these possibilities before we stampede towards the clitoris, Watson"

I'd link it but I'd probably get banned.

Jeffrey Bain

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
HNGD! Odd your Mariposa didn't fit the ambient vibe given who it's made for. Glad you found something that works though!

Grindspine

likes pointy things
Reaction score
Is that a Frostbite Fade finish? I had the fortune of playing a Wood Library Frostbite Fade satin Custom 24. That guitar stuck with me. I ended up buying a P24 quilt top blood orange and a CE24 satin blackout later.

Although the PRS pickups are pretty nice for cleans and crunch, I found them lacking a bit for higher gain. My two PRS guitars got the Duncan Alpha Omega set in each.

ItWillDo

KGB Apparatchik
Reaction score
So you have an Axe III, and rather than change settings, you want to swap pickups? This reminds me entirely too much of the sex ed scene from The Meaning of Life, "We have all these possibilities before we stampede towards the clitoris, Watson"

I'd link it but I'd probably get banned.

I have a set of "reference presets" which all sound good to excellent through the range of guitars I'm currently using, the only odd one out at the moment seems to be the PRS and I'm honestly not the type of guy who has a need to dial in the perfect tone for each individual instrument. So between the choice of always creating a new preset whenever I want to switch guitars, or just replacing the pickups, it's a pretty easy one given I'm in that stage of life where "free time" holds more value than small expenses.

HNGD! Odd your Mariposa didn't fit the ambient vibe given who it's made for. Glad you found something that works though!
Thanks, and it's an absolutely amazing sounding guitar, but due to the light weight of the instrument it's not a great fit for more "droning" tones. But all in all, I'd choose it over my JPXI & JP15 for pretty much any application.

Is that a Frostbite Fade finish? I had the fortune of playing a Wood Library Frostbite Fade satin Custom 24. That guitar stuck with me. I ended up buying a P24 quilt top blood orange and a CE24 satin blackout later.

Although the PRS pickups are pretty nice for cleans and crunch, I found them lacking a bit for higher gain. My two PRS guitars got the Duncan Alpha Omega set in each.
Close, it's a "Charcoal fade" which seems to be a bit more biased towards the darker hues as opposed to "Frostbite fade". And the Alpha & Omega were serious contenders for me, but I've been sold on the idea of the BKP Silo's for a while now and this seemed like a great opportunity to get to know them.