NGD! ...Project PRS SE

Discussion in 'Sevenstring Guitars' started by JustinG60, May 22, 2014.

1. JustinG60

JustinG60 SS.org Regular

so i have wanted to play one for a while. play one... couldn't find one to play anywhere, so i bought one haha!

[​IMG]

so i played it through my Orange Rockerverb. i from what everyone has said about the factory pick ups so far, they're better than that! i agree that they are more mid output than high but they are actually a pretty nice warm and fat pick up!

so, i have this problem. i explain it best that i can't leave well enough alone.

stripping it down...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

going back together was a bit of a pain in the a...
    [​IMG]

the Blackouts are bigger than the original pick ups so i had to get it started, push it down half way, twist the rings a bit to get the ring holes in the body to almost line up, then start the screws. screw down equally, push the assembly into the body and repeat until they sat flush... ugh!!!!

they are Seymour Duncan EMTY Blackouts if there was any quessing as to what they are...

unfortunately i do not have the time to finish the wiring today, i should be done tomorrow before work. after that i have the lower the insanely too high of action, set the intonation and give it a review!!!

...any PRS empoyees out there interested in discussing that PRS SE inspector position?! haha getting really sick of my current awful work schedule!

and a few randoms...

my CE22 (Dimarzio D Activator pick ups, Planet Waves Autotrim tuners, Graphtech saddles) and the new SE project

[​IMG]

and a crappy shot with my EBMM JP12 7 string with a Bareknuckle pickup Painkiller in the bridge

[​IMG]

s_k_mullins, Harry, Valnob and 16 others like this.
  2. DISTORT6

DISTORT6 NJ DEVIL

HNPRSD! :yesway:
    It cracks me up that you live in Baltimore - literally PRS Guitars backyard - and couldn't find one of these to try out. :lol:
    I agree about the stock pickups. I left them in mine.

3. AkiraSpectrum

AkiraSpectrum SS.org Regular

have always loved the blue se7, dang it's gorgeous.
    congrats!

4. JamesM

JamesM The Armada

Neato.

5. Shawn

Shawn ESP • Ibanez Forum MVP

Beautiful guitar. Nice pair! :yesway:

6. TremontiFan16

TremontiFan16 Tyler Russell

Nice,love those SE 7s look awesome.
    I have a emty on its way for my ec-1000 as we speak, I very much can't wait to install her and see how they compare versus the 81.

7. JustinG60

JustinG60 SS.org Regular

Thanks everyone.

...from the first time I played Blackouts I was sold on them. I never heard EMTY's in person so I figured I might as well buy those too. If for some crazy reason I don't like them I can sell them for straight Blackouts

8. Santuzzo

Santuzzo SS.org Regular

looks awesome!
    I also love your green PRS and the BFR JP!!!

9. lewstherin006

lewstherin006 SS.org Regular

Congrats bro! You have a killer stable going on!

10. poopyalligator

poopyalligator Dr.Poopyalligator

I got to play one just the other day. Great guitar. I was actually really surprised by how great of a guitar it was for the price.

11. JustinG60

JustinG60 SS.org Regular

thanks, i appreciate it! been thinning the herd down to the necessities. down to 8 but i think 2 more are going to be going to pick up 1 more to round my rack off at 7 haha ...can't decide what yet but kind of leaning towards a JPX haha

yeh, i think once i get this thing set up is will be a whole new animal! i can't complain how it was when it arrived for the price but once i put some time into a set up it will be impressive for their price tag!

starting to wish i left the stock pick ups in longer so i could be playing it now

:noplease:

12. LolloBlaskhyrt

LolloBlaskhyrt HD Pro abuser

Congrats dude!

13. Emil357

Emil357 SS.org Regular

Congrats - how do you like the 7 string version of the EMTY? I've only tried the 6 string version! :)

14. 7stringDemon

7stringDemon SS.org Regular

Cool! Someone else who liked the blue one!

Love the guitar man, though you should ditch the pickup rings. Those routes are beautiful!

15. JustinG60

JustinG60 SS.org Regular

yeh, thought about it because they have the riser rubbers ...but then i realized there's still 4 holes in the wood and finish around the each pick up and that would drive me INSANE!

truth be told though... i actually wanted the new purple one but i got this at a price it was impossible to pass up

16. Connor

Connor Guy

How is the 25 inch scale length on these? GAS-ing the Amethyst finish so hard but I had problems with a 25.5 inch in the past, so going down by half an inch may make me even more unhappy haha

17. JustinG60

JustinG60 SS.org Regular

well, i am a Gibson Les Paul player by trade haha ...so i have really grown accustomed to the 24.75" scale. the JP12 is a 25.5" scale. i can notice it is shorter but it's not problematically short honestly. i think i have a bigger issue with the radius than the sale length

18. JustinG60

JustinG60 SS.org Regular

so, i put the pick ups in and put some time playing it. to be quite blunt, the things pretty F'ing awesome. i am a huge proponent of Mahogany body, mahogany neck and maple top so when i put these EMTY Blackouts in i was just impressed.

i like how the whole body resonates, you can feel it when you play, that's important to me. i got rid of my Dean RC7 USA Xenocide because the body felt dead to me.

the fretboard is round at a 10" radius. not sure i like it or dislike it yet but i know on a 7 i preference is a 20"

i messed with the action a bit but i have a friend who is a lot better at it than i am and will be doing the action on it monday.

overall so far...

possibly the best build i could have done for under $1000. finish is impressive for a production korean and the above mentioned positives leaves me quite pleased. much better guitar than my other guitar player's Dean RC7x laser etched he bought. he got it as a back up to his 2 USA RC7's and was so displeased he sent it back.