[NGD] Ormsby Metal X 7

Discussion in 'Sevenstring Guitars' started by Isidore, Jun 25, 2019.

1. Isidore

Isidore SS.org Regular

Don't recall saying it was "flat" (can't scroll back right now... phone is being an a-hole) ...just nice & thin, esp contrasting it to my Loomis. The best feel I can equate it to is my 6 string Ibanez S970 neck profile feeling-wise. Very comfortable. If I said flat somewhere, it was a misnomer b/c i've never seen a truly flat-profiled neck. I'll see if I can take some profile shots of it later today when I get home.

2. USMarine75

USMarine75 The man who is tired of the anus is tired of life Contributor

Well technically none are truly flat. You're playing on the arc of a circle with that radius. So it's all about feel.

20" (like on the Carvin Holdsworth) feels very flat.

16" is the upper radius on Jacksons, Charvels, EVH, etc with compound radius. It's meant to be comfortable for soloing and low action. I believe the EBMM Petrucci's are 15, 17, and one model was 20? Anyways, anything 16 and up feels similar, but will be a pain in the ass for chording in the lower register for most people. Not sure how multi-scale affects this.

On a floyd equipped guitar the radius is even more important, since you typically cant adjust individual saddle heights, so there's a minimum you can get your overall action (as you raise/lower entire bridge) until bends fret out and/or the inner strings have too much buzz/ping. On a fixed bridge with individual saddle height adjustments, the radius will be slightly less important, since you can compensate with a "properly radiused" bridge. So you can get all of the strings at the same comparative heights, thus closer, even with a lower radius.

But typically, anything 16" up is pretty damn flat. And if you do use a lot of barre chords (which most people on here prob dont) you'll prob be fairy uncomfortable. Radius, combined with neck profile, will also determine where your hand sits comfortably on the back of the neck. This is one of the (many) reasons you see people complaining about their wrists hurting while playing, or excessive hand fatigue. It can also cause improper arm angle (especially while sitting) and thus cause shoulder fatigue as well.

I used to always prefer 15 up to 20, but now I like compound 10-14 or 12-16. It also gets your lower strings off the board further so you can dig in more for rhythm, then as you move higher up the board for soloing the action is much lower for easy soloing. YMMV

[​IMG]

tl;dr I would try 20" radiused guitar before I buy, 16" and below is much more comfortable IMO

Last edited: Jul 19, 2019
  3. WhiteLightOfDeath

WhiteLightOfDeath Hidden Sword

Amazing info
    Thanks for the chart as well!