NGD: One of many dream guitars acquired

Discussion in 'Standard Guitars' started by Frostbite, Jul 30, 2018.

1. Frostbite

Frostbite Periphery Shill

So I was window shopping Reverb, as many of us do before spending money we didn't plan on, and I decided to check what was up for sale in regards to the Ibanez RGA 121. I've wanted a prestige Ibanez for a long time and the RGA 121 was my "attainable" bad ass prestige. Saw one in black and thought "huh didn't know they made them in black" Guy mentioned that he thought the original owner refinished it. Basically wrote it off since I don't really want a refinished guitar. Ended up just closing the browser and going about my day.

Few days later I decided to see if anything new popped up. The black 121 was still up there but the seller was now saying that it was a rare run for musician's friend or something to that effect. Tried to find anything I could about it. Turns out the "trans black" finish as they call it was only really available in Japan and through a limited US run, either through MF or someone else, been hard to tack down. Surprisingly not a lot of info on it but enough to figure out it was legit. Thought "well fuck I've always wanted one and it's in a super rare finish and I just got a new job, let's fucking do it." and I bought it. Showed up a few days later and I'm so happy.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

It's a little beat up, especially the bridge, but it's a decade old guitar, I'm not super upset about it. The neck thickness is perfect for what I'd want this guitar to be. It's 18mm at the nut which is only a mm thicker then the old wizard necks that I honestly find way too thin but this thing is just on the cusp of too thin which makes it great for more technical riffing that I've been forcing myself to play and write lately (By technical I mean slightly harder then smoke on the water cause I suck).

The Gibraltar Plus bridge is honestly that best bridge I've ever played. It doesn't ever feel like it's there and the super rounded saddles are perfect IMO. It currently has a tone zone and an air norton in it which are ok at best for me. They just don't inspire sonically so I'll probably replace those at some point. The owner before me also but gold gotoh tuning keys on in, which if I could find gold hardware to finish the look would look great, but alone just look out of place so I'll end up replacing those too but for now they do the job and do it well.

I now understand why people have raved about these forever and every bit of praise was 100% deserved and I have no idea why Ibanez doesn't produce more prestige RGA models

2. AkiraSpectrum

AkiraSpectrum SS.org Regular

Congrats!

Yeah, these trans-black ones are very rare, so it's cool you were able to get one. I have an RGA121H CDO and its great (changed stock Ibanez V7/V8 pickups to Duncan Pegasus/Sentient though).

You're right, having the gold tuners while the rest of the hardware is (cosmo black? dark chrome?) looks a little strange.
    It seems like the neck pickup was installed flipped. I wonder what that might do to the sound?

TheGuitarPit and Frostbite like this.
  3. Frostbite

Huh, I hadn't noticed that haha. I've never used an air norton before so I don't have much to judge. I will say it's a very warm sounding pick up which is great but it's a little to flubby bass wise

AkiraSpectrum likes this.
  4. Andrew Lloyd Webber

Andrew Lloyd Webber Super Duper Moduraturr

Thank goodness the neck wasn’t a millimeter too thin for technical riffing.

SDMFVan likes this.
  5. GXPO

GXPO SS.org Regular

I love that on this one Ibanez, black is a rare finish. :lol:

Awesome dude, I just sold my only fixed bridge 6 so I may have to look into these.

Frostbite likes this.
  6. Frostbite

Yeah that sounded more stupid then I meant it to be haha. Don't judge me too hard off that one

7. Frostbite

Side note, the prestige hard shell case is the best cases I've ever owned. Keeps the guitar so solidly in it that something like my roadrunner cases just can't do the same

Ordacleaphobia likes this.
  8. Dineley

Dineley SS.org Regular

Those RGAs look super nice. I almost pulled the trigger on a blue FM one a while back. Still kind of regret not doing it. Stoked too see youre liking yours! Happy NGD

Frostbite likes this.
  9. soldierkahn

soldierkahn BAD MAMMA-JAMMA Contributor

Ive always loved the RGA, but the thing holding me back on these was the bridge. I couldnt really dig how it felt under my palm, but that is in no way a dig against the guitar. That bridge works phenomenally for most so its just me being picky. I wouldnt mind getting one of these older RGAs and routing it for an Edge LoPro. Dont need the locking nut as I dont even use my trems, its more for feel and fine tuners.

Very nice catch tho, it looks like an open grain finish? If so, it should sound a lot warmer than the other models, IIRC

Frostbite likes this.
  10. BlackSG91

BlackSG91 Loves Black Guitars & Meng Mengs

That's a real nice looking guitar and also a nice colour.;)

;>)/

Frostbite likes this.
  11. Ordacleaphobia

Ordacleaphobia Shameless Contrarian

The realest post

12. IbanezDaemon

IbanezDaemon Raptus regaliter

Awesome score and a rare bird to boot....nice!! I've said it before but the RGA121 is one of the best Ibby's I've ever owned outside of the mighty J Customs. Serious bang for your buck, and they outplay guitars at 2-3 times their price. Really good guitars along with the RGA321's.

Frostbite likes this.
  13. Burtallica

Burtallica SS.org Regular

Could not have said it any better. Congrats on your NGD!

Frostbite and IbanezDaemon like this.
  14. Frostbite

Thanks guys. People raving about them made me have to get my hands on one at some point. I got an old MIJ ibanez and wasn't really a fan but so far I'm very much impressed and honestly will probably buy another haha

Edit: Also, the previous owner who put in the magnum locking tuners paid no fucking regard to the post length of the tuners so there's just a short post then a long post alternating instead of being in a descending order. Ended up just buying properly colored tuners. They get here friday

Last edited: Aug 1, 2018
    soldierkahn and BlackSG91 like this.
  15. Horizongeetar93

Horizongeetar93 maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaan

Proud owner of 4 rga's and i approve of all of this. Love the gold tuners, wish i would have put those on mine!

soldierkahn likes this.
  16. odibrom

odibrom .

... perto de onde a terra acaba e o mar começa...
    Staggered posts on tuners are for straight (no angle) headstocks, like Fender's... Angled headstocks don't need those.

Nice guitar btw. Question, the bridge is chrome, right?

17. Frostbite

It's basically a dark chrome they apparently call "Cosmo black" or some sill shit haha

odibrom likes this.
  18. Frostbite

[​IMG]

Bought some more fitting gotoh magnum locking tuners and put my BKP Black Hawks from my Carvin that I got rid of. Thing is a bigger monster then it already was now. This guitar is insane to me. This is the first guitar that I would consider actually good and not just good for the money. I'm still in the honey moon phase but I haven't been this happy with a guitar I think ever

Nitrobattery and AkiraSpectrum like this.
  19. Frostbite

I actually just took them off hahaha

20. steinmetzify

steinmetzify CHUG & SLUDGE

Dude these things are so damn good, and like you said, not just for the $. Ibanez REALLY needs to bring back Prestige RGAs instead of the crap they're shilling now.

This is literally the only guitar I've ever regretted selling.