NGD! OAF Lefty Content: Off With Their Heads!

Discussion in 'Sevenstring Guitars' started by Guamskyy, Mar 25, 2015.

1. Guamskyy

Guamskyy Hwat you call me?

Pics first:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    "Look Mom, no heads!"
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Now for a short-lived review....

I got this beaut off another fellow southpaw member here for a great price, and it was definitely an impulse buy and I thank him very much for working with me to finance this guitar. The guitar arrived in a SKB case intended for a gun and the foam inserts were cut snug enough to keep the guitar from shifting in it's case, which is different than usual guitar cases that still have a little play in the cavity, so I dig that. I pulled the guitar out of the case and I almost threw it up into the ceiling because of how light it is (I weighed it on my shipping scale at work and it weighs 5.55 lbs, or roughly 2.5 kg, which still blows my mind. Almost feels like a toy) :lol:

The fanned frets are definitely something that has tripped me up right now, not so much with my fretting hand but rather my tapping hand, I would end up either tapping one fret lower than intended or tap right on the fret where it would be on a regular scaled guitar, but nothing but a little practice. It is definitely a lot more comfortable reaching for those big chords that require all the strings, but for some reason I feel cramped up at the higher register (15th fret and up) which is very odd, it must be a mental thing for me. The action on the guitar was a lot higher than I am used to, and it's a little strange a guitar with a zero fret having this high of action, and plus the little allen screws on the saddles of the bridge are nearly at their lowest position, which really baffles me, but we'll work around/fix that all in due time.

I did notice the volume and tone pots are not reverse-log like my JP6 & JP7, so I find myself accidentally turning off the volume or tone. Simple pot swap, no biggie. I suspect it is like this because of the push-pull pots that come in this guitar; a reverse-log push-pull is nearly impossible to find.

The number one gripe I have on this guitar are the lace pickups: now I have the same exact pair in my 8 string and they are great in that guitar, but I feel as if in this guitar I can't get a good lead tone out of it: it's either really bright to the point of ice-picky with the bridge or dull and muffled in the neck, plus in both positions even with a noise gate on a very low threshold and decay, my notes cut out like the pickup isn't picking it up. It can definitely be my technique, I do come from JP6 with dimarzios (titan in the bridge, humbucker from hell in the neck) and JP7 with BKPS (aftermath set), but it shouldn't necessarily be a problem since the humbucker from hell is not a high output pickup and in some ways the aftermath is not so high-output either (compared to the dimarzios). Aside from that, I got that problem hopefully remedied with the Seymour Duncan Pegasus/Sentient set coming in early this coming week. We'll see how it goes from there!

Overall, I would give this guitar a 8/10, it still is an awesome guitar, but there are some little quirks and gimmicks to me that require some modification. She rocks doe :metal:

shadowlife, Datura, MetalDaze and 2 others like this.
  2. Sumsar

Sumsar SS.org Regular

Looks awesome. About the pickups, does the lace come in a neck / bridge version or is it the exact same pickup in both positions? If they are different, try changing them around, so the neck in the bridge and vice versa, Helped me with a EMG 81-7 and 707 setup - I had the same problem, ice pick 81-7 and dull with the 707 in the neck, so i swicthed them around and it worked pretty good :)

About the high action: Sounds like a truss rod adjust would be in order?

3. lewstherin006

lewstherin006 SS.org Regular

Congrats bro she looks great for being backwards!

4. Tom Drinkwater

Tom Drinkwater ERG/ERB Builder

That particular run of guitars all needed to have little neck shims to tilt the neck forward a bit. It's possible that the shim is either compressed or was removed resulting in the high action. If you ever need a fret dress or set up let me know, I'll be happy to do it free of charge. It'll just cost you the shipping.

5. Guamskyy

Wow, thank you so much! If I decide to go that route, I will definitely let you know! While you're here, would you happen to remember what string gauges you used for the guitar? I asked the previous owner if he knew and he said that he didn't know and that they were the original strings the guitar came with.

6. Guamskyy

I did give the truss rod an adjustment (gave it a little relief plus lowering the saddles a wee bit) she's doing better now :yesway:

I also wanted to give the guitar some time to settle also, seeing as it came from Washington state and I'm in Texas, it is quite a difference in climate!

7. mnemonic

mnemonic Custom User Title

lefties :hbang:

awesome finish too.

8. LUNDY

LUNDY Well-Known Member

my sweet .......

9. stuglue

stuglue SS.org Regular

Aaahh you beat me to it. I was very interested in this guitar but I had to sell a few of mine before I could look to buy it. No one bought mine so I missed out
    I think you got it from Metal Daze.
    Anyway congrats it looks like a great axe

10. MF_Kitten

MF_Kitten Set up us the bomb

That there, my friend, is a XEN OXC, not an OAF design. MADE by OAF, but enirely a XEN design! Just thought I'd clarify to be sure! ;)

11. Guamskyy

Ahh thank you for clarification! I knew there was a collaboration between the two companies going on when this guitar was built, but I wasn't sure who to give the name to. Looks like a 50/50 split to me!

12. MF_Kitten

MF_Kitten Set up us the bomb

This is now a XEN production model! The OXC name is literally OAF-XEN-Collaboration, so you are not mistaken though! It's getting a brand new name now that it's hitting production though :)

13. jemfloral

jemfloral SS.org Regular

Another gorgeous one, Tom! And congrats to OP on the NGD score!