[NGD] [NProjectD] times 3. Gibson and Kramer content. GUITAR GORE[NSFL]

Discussion in 'Standard Guitars' started by kreaturesleeper, Jan 19, 2013.

1. kreaturesleeper

kreaturesleeper SS.org Regular

Disclaimer: guitar gore ahead, please scroll at your own discretion. I'll go easy on you and post the cupcakes first.

I do setups/repairs/upgrades/rewiring on the side, so naturally, I pick up a few personal guitars that I have the ambition of fixing up for myself. Well, today, I received two more, and decided to finish one I've been sitting on for a looooong time.

This is my Kramer Focus 4000 that was given to me forever ago by a bandmember, and say in a closet for years. The only thing I have left to do, is wire up a ground and add a dummy neck pup (probably going to be a cheapo I have laying in the parts bin). Its going to be bridge pup only, with a killswitch in place of a volume control. Im also going to give the fretboard some love, because the scalloping job didnt do the rosewood any favors.

So far I've installed:
    Mighty Mite Licensed OFR
    Seymour Duncan SH4
    Killswitch
    Gotoh tuners
    Locking nut (bouncing around the parts bin, unsure of brand)

And like I said, Im going to clean it up, specifically the fretboard, and throw a dummy humbucker in the neck position. Ive recently become obsessed with this style of one trick ponies, and considering it will never leave my room, its going to be a metal machine.

[​IMG]

OOF
    [​IMG]

Next up is a Korean made Samick acoustic. Picked it up for free. Oiled the bridge and fretboard as they were super dry. Pretty obvious what Im going to do to it. As far as specs go, itll be a bone nut and Chrome Grover tuners.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Nooooow for the fun part. You know those guitars that should really just be firewood?

This guitar has some history. Passed through many hands, ended up in the hands of the guitarist from "Of Montreal", which is whom my drummer picked it up from many many moons ago. Tonight he gave it to me, so I had something to wrench on (as if I dont have enough work). Im not even going to post the processes Ill be going through to get this thing playable, as most will be obvious, specifically, regluing the headstock. But Im going to read a few passages out of the necrinomicon, and bring it back from the dead. Ill let the pictures do the talking...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Ill update this thread periodically, as Ill be finishing the Kramer tonight, and will start working on the Gibson tomorrow. The Acoustic will take no time whatsoever, but Ill be excited to have a new one to jam on.

asher, gunch, MrMcSick and 1 other person like this.
  2. Miek

Miek POSTING ON INTERNET

Please save that beautiful Gibson

3. Zado

Zado SS.org Regular

Someone bring some glue!!

4. kreaturesleeper

I got the gibby completely torn down. Was made in 1981. Im going to glue and clamp the headstock today, and start tracing out a new pickguard. Im going to make it out of wood, and stain it a cherry mahogany color. Im going to sand and respray the rest of the guitar flat black.

5. MrMcSick

MrMcSick Derp

Never seen a The Gibson Guitar Company logo. Interesting. I love bringing things back from oblivion. Good luck.

6. kreaturesleeper

Yeah, you'll find it on their lower end 80's models (seen here). Ive seen it on a few mandolins that have gone through my hands as well. I actually really like the logo, too bad its getting sanded off for a clean black headstock, but its pretty inevitable if I want to hide the fixed crack, with my experience that is.

7. kreaturesleeper

Heres on update on the headstock. Going to leave it clamped and let the glue cure for a few days, then sand and respray.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. kreaturesleeper

Body ready for paint

[​IMG]

Ill update the thread as I complete these projects. The kramer should be done tonight, the acoustic... whenever I get around to it. But Im looking at about a month or so to be done with the gibby. Ill try my best not to spam posts random updates about them (anymore)

I made a rough pickguard template as well. Will sand down the edges that jut out too much after I cut it. Will probably wire it up to be single humbucker single vol. Would look really clean on a mahogany pickguard.

[​IMG]

9. Baelzebeard

Baelzebeard Grinder of strings

^ jesus, look at the size of that swimming pool. That shit will make the neighbors jealous.:lol:

10. Miek

Miek POSTING ON INTERNET

RIP cool-ass Gibson finish

11. kreaturesleeper

Agreed, the routed area in these guitars make strats look like complete solidbodies. HUUUGE cavity. Ive decided to mount the P90 with a single volume knob and output jack once I finish the wooden pick guard.

This is my drunken mock up for the pickguard template. Ill probably move the jack and volume knob closer together. Obviously Ill clean up the routing rectangle for the P90 before getting my mahogany under the bandsaw/drillpress

[​IMG]

Miek - I agree, however this guitar has been rattle canned twice as far as I can tell. Once with silver, once with gold. The original color was a blonde cream.

12. bob123

bob123 Banned

Dude, its a sonex not a 59 burst :lol:

Good work so far dude.

13. kreaturesleeper

Very true, when I got it, the fucker had duck tape holding the headstock together, 1/3 sheet metal pickguard, and acoustic strings on it. None of the electronics worked... but I love a challenge and this... this has been a challenge so far,.

Thank you. Hopefully Ill have the neck and headstock completely finished by next weekend. I cant wait to get started on my custom pickguard though. Because that means Ill have left overs to make cavity covers for my other guitfiddles!

14. Miek

Miek POSTING ON INTERNET

See, that's beauty to me.

15. kreaturesleeper

Have I mentioned that the body alone weighs as much as any les paul Ive picked up? Even stripped and gutted (and the giant electronic cavity), this thing is a fucking boat anchor. Official signature and date are Jun 9 1981 by "Billy?" found in the neck pocket. Luckily whoever rattled canned this thing twice, had enough decency to tape off the neck pocket.

16. MFB

MFB ExBendable

As an Of Montreal fan, I'm jelly.

17. kreaturesleeper

Our drummer knows alot of people. Ive had the pleasure of restoring on old Peavey T60 for a young man with a brain tumor, that was previously owned by Norma Jean (his favorite band at the time). He was overcome with joy when we handed it to him. 3 years later he is doing great and going about his day to day like any other person. Not only did he have an outstanding recovery, but his will power was inspiring.

18. will_shred

will_shred Wannabe audio engineer

I'm really exited to see how that Gibson comes out...

19. Ironbird

Ironbird Kahler Abuser

Looking forward to this! Great thread!

20. kreaturesleeper

Ok, so I installed the dummy neck pup (INF1) into the Kramer, and finished wiring it up. Ill update with pics once I get strings on it and get it set up.

I "finished" the pickguard for the Gibby today. Still rough around the edges, but Im going to smooth everything out. Heres what she looks like with the rough cut pickguard, plus the color the pickguard will end up sporting.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So far, I have invested $0 into restorations. Which is a great feeling being a broke musician.

I upcycle a whole hell of a lot. So I busted out an old drawer from a decrepit dresser, which had a nice veneer on top of the plywood. Was the perfect candidate for the pickguard

Had a set-back with the headstock, should be ready for paint in a few weeks though.