NGD Music Man Jpxi

Discussion in 'Sevenstring Guitars' started by Psionic, Jun 12, 2014.

1. Psionic

Psionic three headed monkey

So i had Gas for a Jpx for a while but found a Jpxi here on SS so i decided to give it a try:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Things is pretty much mint just some signs of fret work around the 24 fret.
    Im kinda struggling with the piezo at the moment i dont get it to work together with the normal pickups it pretty much only works with the piezo mono output.
    Also the 7th string dosent work with the piezo but i think that is because the Guitar isnt set up at the moment and the trem is getting pulled slightly out of the body.
    Just got it 30 minutes ago and from first playing and overall feel its just awesome.

2. lewstherin006

lewstherin006 SS.org Regular

Congrats bro! Welcome to the Club! The 7th string piezo happens a bunch. It should work correctly once it is set up!.

3. jephjacques

jephjacques BUTTS LOL

If the lowest string isn't working with the piezo it's probably too thick. Anything bigger than about a .59 will have trouble contacting the piezo element due to how the saddles are designed, in my experience.

4. Jonathan20022

Jonathan20022 Engineer

I've used a .60-.62 gauge before, just pre-bend the string so when it comes through it'll make contact with the saddle. That's your problem with the Piezo most likely.

Good stuff though! HNGD the JPXI is a sick guitar!

5. FantasyMetal

FantasyMetal SS.org Regular

Congrats! Love my JP7 BFR!

6. awesomeaustin

awesomeaustin hates neck pickups. Contributor

HNGD!

BTW, the first 2 strings are wound the wrong way around the tuning machine.

7. Psionic

yes i seen this as i was taking the pictures didnt change the strings yet this is how it came in.

Just did the set up strings are now running correct, bridge is in line with the body, piezo works with the 7th String.

Awesome!!

8. awesomeaustin

awesomeaustin hates neck pickups. Contributor

:yesway::yesway::yesway:

9. Santuzzo

Santuzzo SS.org Regular

HNDG, Congrats! :yesway:
    looks great :shred:

10. gamber

gamber SS.org Regular

haha sorry about the strings, i was rushing. Hope you enjoy it!

11. Bforber

Bforber SS.org Regular

HNGD! I have a 6 string JPXI and I love it. I'm sure you'll love yours as well!

12. Psionic

Definately will thanks again!

The piezo is damn nice it just sounds so much better when playing clean, should motivate me to play more clean stuff.

13. Greenbrettiscool

Greenbrettiscool SS.org Regular

It's a great guitar and you will love it more and more daily, congrats dude!

14. Musiscience

Musiscience Hail the Ibbyborn!

This is just BALLin! :lol: Congrats on this beauty!

15. TheWarAgainstTime

TheWarAgainstTime "TWAT" for short

Love these! HNGD

16. Noxon

Noxon Is a Lurker

Sweet guitar, dude. HNGD!!!

17. vinniemallet

vinniemallet EBMM Addicted

piezo didn't work with my 7th string, but a good setup fixed! HNGD!

18. DraggAmps

DraggAmps SS.org Regular

Congrats, bro! Did the original owner say anything about the fretwork? I'm just curious if there was signs of fretwork because they did it themselves or had it done by someone other than EBMM, or if they sent it to EBMM to get the frets worked on by EBMM and STILL ended up with some blemishes/signs of work.

The reason I'm curious is because I have a JPXI which was probably one of the very first to come off the line when they introduced it with stainless steel frets. It had TERRIBLE fretwork. I mean, they looked fine, but the frets were so sharp that it would literally leave a rough torn up patch of skin on your fingers where they contacts the fret edges. The frets hung off far enough that you could hang up the high E on them. I was convinced they either sent it out without finishing the final fret dressing, somehow, or else the fret guy decided to screw it because he was pissed that they had stainless steel frets now (like I said, it was probably one of the very first stainless fret models), which probably take a lot longer to do fretwork on since the steel is much harder.

Either way, I decided to buy the guitar because I was in love with it and i knew EBMM would fix it. However, I was so in honey moon phase with it that I didn't send it in for months and months, and then I ended up getting a new Suhr and stopped playing 7 string fro a while, got busy with school, etc, and next thing you know two years have passed and now my warranty is up so EBMM won't fix the fret job for free. My mistake for waiting too long, but the guy who I contacted at EBMM didn't wanna hear it and said with absolute certainty that it wasn't a mistake on their part and there was no way it left their shop like that and the only explanation was "fret sprout". The degree to which these frets are sharp just doesn't make sense. I've never seen that crazy bad of fret sprouting and I know the very ends of the frets don't look quite dressed the way most EBMMs look. I'm played dozens of EBMM's in my Guitar Center in Las Vegas and all had perfect frets. I'm not sure why no other EBMM would have that problem yet my guitar had insane amounts of fret sprout just from the climate difference between California and Nevada.

I'm not sure how they could have sprouted that incredibly far without any cracking of paint around the frets. I'm just not convinced but despite my long story, I'm curious if EBMM themselves left signs of fret work because I'm getting ready to spend about $250 to have my frets re-dressed by EBMM.

19. Psionic

He said the the frets were sharp duo to changes in humidity but it got solved by itself so no fretwork was done, actually they arent perfectly smooth on high e side but nothing that bothers me.
    The signs are some very little rough spots around the 24 fret and end of fretboard on the high e side other then that theres nothing to blame on the guitar, as mentioned the fretwork they done from factory could be better but nothing too bad.

Sounds pretty bad on yours would guess it was duo to the switch to ss frets, i did read some things about QC issues with the first Jpxi's.

Just bad you waited too long, i think the guys at EBMM would do a quite decent job but i only can guess.
    Anyways i wouldnt accept a bad job if i would send the guitar in to let them do it, it should be in their interest to do a decent job on things like that and dont mess it up.

20. DraggAmps

DraggAmps SS.org Regular

For sure, I think they'll probably do a good job. There were some issues with the early JPXI's, yeah. I only remember it being about the paint/clear coat chipping at the very edge of the fretboard where the paint stops and the ebony begins. Luckily, mine is perfect in that sense. That's part of the reason I'm skeptical of fret sprouting, because I would think if all of the frets sprouted that far out then at least one of the frets would have chipped some of the clear coat on it's way.

It's a miracle that EBMM can even get such perfect finishes up to the edge of the fretboard like that anyway. I don't think I heard anything about bad fret jobs, but while the guy says that each instrument is triple inspected before leaving, and it's impossible it left the shop without fret dressing, then what happened with the other QC issues that leave the shop? Especially those JPXI's with the chipped paint along the fretboard. If that can happen, then the unfinished fret dressing can happen. I won't go into details, but looking closely, I can see evidence that, to me, looks like my frets weren't completely dressed. But they seem to be positive it's "fret sprouting" (even without seeing the instrument for themselves) and don't seem willing to work with me since I let the warranty run out, sadly.

But anyway, sorry for ranting in you NGD thread and thanks for the response. Beautiful guitar. Do you have any plans for pickup swaps? I like the way it sounds, but I'm starting to get bored with the pickups. Thinking maybe Black Hawks or Juggernauts, or maybe just Dimarzio Ionizers to make it a really simple swap.