NGD: Music Man JP15-7

Discussion in 'Sevenstring Guitars' started by asandwich, Feb 25, 2020.

1. asandwich

asandwich suh dude

Although I've always been interested in seven-strings, I had never played one that didn't feel slow and generally unwieldy in my hands, especially after years of playing shreddy six-string guitars. At one point I owned an old Ibanez UV70 which had a thin neck but still felt way too wide for me so I sold it. Soon after I picked up an Ormsby SXGTR 7 which I heavily modified—it sounds amazing!—but alas, it still always felt difficult for my fingers to navigate the fretboard; I don't think I'm much of a multi-scale person at the end of the day.

Now, after a few years of financial stability and selling off some unused equipment, I figured it was time to try out some sevens again, but with a greatly increased budget. I'm lucky that I live pretty close to NYC and have some amazing stores nearby so I visited a handful, trying out everything I could in order to to see if there was a seven string guitar out there for me or if it was just not meant to be.

Well, I found the one in the JP15. The neck is a work of art—the gunstock oil satin finish is insanely smooth and the asymmetrical profile is shaped in a such a way that reaching across to low B even in the upper register frets feel pretty effortless. In fact, I'd say that it actually feels easier to play than some of my six string guitars which is totally crazy to me.

Though the neck shape and playability was the number-one deciding factor for me, everything else on the guitar is just icing on the cake. The satin finish on the body feels great and not too soft—it seems pretty sturdy and hard to nick. The Illuminator pickups have a lot of what I already love about Dimarzio pickups: they are very bright and mid-rangey, vocal, and have a very tight bass presence. I do wish that the neck pickup was a bit more liquid, like a Paf Pro, Jazz, or BKP Cold Sweat, but it's totally fine for what it is. I haven't messed with the piezo too much yet, but it was fun for clean, atmospheric passages at band practice last night. I wouldn't call the piezo a game changer for me, but it's certainly a cool option to have—I can see it being a useful studio tool...

Overall, the guitar is extremely light and resonant and plays much easier and faster than I ever expected a seven-string guitar could play. Playing it is a mind-blowing experience and putting the guitar down is legitimately hard to do. This is the nicest thing I've ever owned and I'm so stoked to have it!

Pics:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 25, 2020
    Wildebeest, Randy, Zanmato86 and 18 others like this.
  2. AkiraSpectrum

AkiraSpectrum SS.org Regular

Congrats!

pics don't work for me.

asandwich, Adieu and Jeffrey Bain like this.
  3. Musiscience

Musiscience Hail the Ibbyborn!

Pics are not working, but I'm sure it's very nice!

Congrats on your new guitar!

asandwich likes this.
  4. asandwich

asandwich suh dude

Sorry guys, try now!

AkiraSpectrum likes this.
  5. shupe13

shupe13 SS.org Regular

Congrats!

No pics, but if you're happy, I'm happy for ya!!

asandwich likes this.
  6. AkiraSpectrum

AkiraSpectrum SS.org Regular

Wow that looks gorgeous!
    Great flamed neck and fretboard!!!

asandwich likes this.
  7. asandwich

asandwich suh dude

I think it's an imgur thing; if you reply to the post and refresh after, it works... Here's a link just in case: https://imgur.com/a/j6wKex9

shupe13 likes this.
  8. Jeffrey Bain

Jeffrey Bain SS.org Regular

Beautiful guitar man. The neck on that thing has INSANE figuring. They always make me want to buy one of those beasts

9. pott

pott SS.org Regular

Stunning!

I was extremely surprised with the JP15. I don't play shredders and I despise floating bridges. But playing a JP15 was love at first sight. They're just fantastic guitar. I ended-up buying a black 6 string on the spot.

Wildebeest and asandwich like this.
  10. Musiscience

Musiscience Hail the Ibbyborn!

Nice! You really won at the neck lottery. This piece is jaw dropping!

asandwich likes this.
  11. Shawn

Shawn Ibanez Guitars Forum MVP

Very nice! Love that neck. Gorgeous guitar.

12. mlp187

mlp187 Burrito Master Contributor

Holy damn. Very much congratulations to you.

13. Strobe

Strobe SS.org Regular

HAWT! I love the JP15! Grats!

14. XPT707FX

XPT707FX SS.org Regular

Congrats! That is one sweet JP

15. Avedas

Avedas SS.org Regular

Jesus that flame maple is nice

16. jephjacques

jephjacques BUTTS LOL

Oh man, you got a GOOD one, too. Congrats!

17. Jonathan20022

Jonathan20022 Engineer

Congrats man that's a beauty, I have a huge appreciation for EBMM as a brand. If you think the 7 is easy to play then 6 is even moreso, their guitars feature a narrower spacing than other guitars so they all feel wildly easy to navigate.

18. Santuzzo

Santuzzo SS.org Regular

Congrats!

What a gorgeous flame on the top and the neck!
    I'm GASing hard for a JP15-7, but don't have the budget for one atm.

19. asandwich

asandwich suh dude

Thanks for the love everyone! After spending a couple of hours practicing last night, I've noticed a few interesting things:

First, for lower resistance pickups, the Illuminators are still pretty damn hot. They break up my 100 watt amp pretty easily when the volume knob is fully rolled up. For pristine cleans, my best options are to go with the piezo, coil split 2nd position, or a blend of both. The pickups really shine on crunch and high gain tones—super clear, articulate, and have a distinct character.

Second, I've read a lot of hate about the JP bridge, but I actually really like it. It's super comfortable to rest my hand on and the guitar was dead-on in tune after some pretty intense whammy action. It doesn't flutter or feel quite as "alive" as my lo-pro on my Ibanez 6 string, but I didn't really expect it to due to the extra spring tension needed. I still need to get used to the trem bar position on it since it sits a bit high compared to my Ibanezes, but it works just fine.

The only annoying aspect of the guitar that I've really found is the position of the pickup selector switch. It is juuuust nearly in the way of my fingers when I play. I totally get that its position lends itself to quick pickup switches mid phrase, but it's something that I'm gonna have to get used to. If it was any closer to the pickups, it would be a problem. So far it's just a mild annoyance, but one that I'm sure I can make my way around by just playing the guitar and getting used to its feel.

I still can't get over how amazing the neck is haha. Awkward stretches for dominant seventh chords/inversions feel so easy.

AkiraSpectrum, bmth4111 and Santuzzo like this.
  20. bmth4111

bmth4111 SS.org Regular

Congrats. I'm always tempted to pick up one of those Trans black jps. I totally agree about the neck feeling like heaven. Honestly the neck is barely a sevenstring feels like a slightly wider six string