NGD: Mayones content

Discussion in 'Extended Range Guitars' started by The Spanish Inquisition, Jun 3, 2015.

1. The Spanish Inquisition

The Spanish Inquisition Unexpected

Whelp, I've been waiting for this guitar for a while now. I've ordered this beaut in januari and it arrived last tuesday. First a little review and then all the pics you'd want and maybe later even some more with better quality.

We all know Mayones for their outstanding craftmanship and absolutely stunning appearance. This is no exception. This is one of the nicest guitars I've ever had.

Specs are:

Mayones Setius GTM6 Gothic Baritone
    Body: Mahogany
    Top: Swamp ash
    Neck: 5p mahogany/maple
    Fretboard: ebony
    Scale: 27"
    Construction: Bolt-on
    Pickups: EMG 81-85
    Tuners: Schaller
    Bridge: fixed bridge (brand not disclosed, but probably TOM)
    Additional: Schaller straplocks, GraphTech nut, Hiscox hardcase

Sound: This guitar has the thundering lows you need from a baritone guitar. The body is made out of a light, resonant piece of mahogany that even acoustically lets know that it's here. With the baritone scale, it gives an extra snap to the already chunky stringgauge. The EMGs in there really give it the metal sound it needs. EMG has never been my thing and I'll probably swap them out, but they absolutely sing in this beautiful piece of wood.

Quality: Mayones is known for building quality guitars, and this is absolutely no exception. The guitar was perfectly set up from the factory and they even provided a little booklett how to take care of your guitar, some tools and what does what. They sent it in a perfectly fitting, sturdy Hiscox case. I can't comment on the quality on the long run yet.

Feel: With the light body and the thin, long neck, I feel like it's playing itself. The guitar has a way of making you play faster and pushing your boundaries. I've had a Mayones before, a Legend to be exact, but it didn't react like the Setius at all. The matte finish on both the body and the neck gives it the rough feeling without it sticking to anything.

Overall: I'm exceptionally happy with this guitar, the sound, the feel and the quality. It is a pricey guitar, and you'll have to wait. But if you want a good guitar that'll probably last you a while, this is your guitar.

Now for some crappy iPhone pictures:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. xwmucradiox

xwmucradiox sweep.tap.sweep

Cool! I've been wondering if anyone ever buys their baritone 6s lately because I haven't seen one. Wish these or really any upscale baritone 6 string were readily available. There is nothing on the market other than lower end imports it seems.

3. The Spanish Inquisition

I think people would rather go with a seven nowadays. But I just wanted a simple, long scale 6 string, and this is just that.

4. xwmucradiox

Yeah that's the response I see typically but I vastly prefer a baritone 6 in my current project. I tune GGCFAD and if I were to put a C between the Gs then all of my chord structures that take advantage of the two Gs would become a huge pain to play cleanly.

5. pott

pott SS.org Regular

I don't get this... my Mayones had multiple build issues. Minor, yes, and it was 'only' a €1.5k guitar. Dust specks under the finish, both on top and back of guitar. Uneven side dots.

Are every single other of these completely flawless? It seems so based on this forum...

Either way, glad you got a good one. Must say it looks really great in this finish!

6. The Spanish Inquisition

That's a bummer man, I shall inspect it a little bit better tomorrow, but up until now I've seen no finish flaws or strange dots.

Thanks man, it looks so classy with the open pore ash top and the matte black!

7. xwmucradiox

Its possible no one else with a brand new guitar is willing to tell the truth. Everyone on this forum thinks Blackmachines are immaculate and the best guitars ever but mine was poorly made and badly finished.

These pics look pretty good though.

8. steinmetzify

steinmetzify CHUG & SLUDGE

Badass.....I've pretty much given up on 7s even though I love this forum, and I would take this and rage all over the place with it. I'm an EMG guy too, and sometimes simple is best. HNGD, this thing is sick!

9. The Spanish Inquisition

It actually is flawless, except for a little line on the body binding. But it's almost invisible. So I think I got a good one!

10. the.godfather

the.godfather Mr. Flibble

I love pretty much every Mayones guitar, but especially the Setius. I love my GTM6 and 7. Just something about the Setius model is pretty much perfect for me.

Yours is no exception, beautiful guitar! Bet it sounds monstrous. :metal:

11. Eclipse

Eclipse SS.org Regular

Amazing guitar! So gorgeous!

12. facepalm66

facepalm66 The Master of Joints

^ f u c k the way it looks, it's sound is even more gorgeus!

13. lewstherin006

lewstherin006 SS.org Regular

Congrats bro she is amazing!

14. The Spanish Inquisition

Thanks guys, it's absolutely amazing, I can't put it down.

15. EchelonXIII

EchelonXIII SS.org Regular

OOOH SEÑOR MAYONES...Y U SO SEXY?

16. Michael_Ten

Michael_Ten blergh yas

Baritones don't get near enough love. I honestly think most folks who play 7s actually should just play a baritone, when people write for 7 string guitars you usually get chuggy lows and squeely highs on two separate tracks, rather than a single part that honestly utilizes all 7 strings.

Baritones are the way to go.

17. The Spanish Inquisition

This guitar really makes me have doomitis. This brings out the best of heavy in me, I absolutely love it.