NGD LTD JR-608 Javier Reyes Sig.

Discussion in 'Extended Range Guitars' started by Joan Maal, Nov 17, 2020.

1. Joan Maal

Joan Maal SS.org Regular

I got hooked since the very first tine i saw her. A few weeks ago a very good opportunity appeared on my radar and I jumped at it head first. The seller didn't have the original case and the guitar doesn't fit into a "just any" case so in the end we got a hard case bass for transport from Northern Ireland. Everything went well and it finally arrived a few days ago.

[​IMG]

The first impression is very good, the level of construction and finishes is superior to what you expect to find in an LTD, but we are talking about the most expensive LTD you can buy and its price was around 2000 euros.

You could put ESP on the headstock perfectly, but its price would raise even more. I've had a couple Ibanez Prestige and this one is not far behind, quite the opposite.

Pickups are Dimarzio Eclipse 8, developed with Javier reyes. Lows and mids are very defined and the highs have that kind of glassy timbre that is most often associated with single coil pickups.

The guitar is equipped with a volume pot, a tone pot and a 5-position selector plus a mini split-coil selector.

The finish is called "Blue Sunburst Faded" ... It seems that under certain light conditions the guitar can acquire some blue tones/reflections. I haven't seen them anywhere so far. The "back" finish is also glossy.

The construction is Neckthru type, with a 5-piece Walnut-Maple-Paduak neck. The body is made of swamp ash with a beautifully padded maple top and white binding. The top is quite nice, and even the spade has its maple top with the same finish.

Yes, it is heavy like a cow. With just over 4.8kg is close to double the weight of a Strandberg 8. Comparing it with similar guitars, it surpasses in half a kilogram the Ibanez RG2228 (4,3kg.) and in more than 1,2kg to my other Ibanez of 8 strings, a S5528 (3,6kg.) much more slender.

The fingerboard is made of ebony and comes with inlays (sober but original and elegant) of carbon fiber and "perloid".

The electronics cover and trussrod cover also have a carbon fiber finish. The specifications say they "are" carbon fiber, but I wouldn't be so sure.

The bridge is a very comfortable and impressive Schaller Hannes 8. The most recent version of this guitar has a Hipshot bridge. I, personally, prefer the Schaller. The strings are installed through the body, from the back.

The profile of the neck is U-shaped, more rounded but not as thin as in the Ibanez. The finish is glossy, as in the whole guitar, but I find it quite comfortable.

The scale is 27" ( 686mm. ) and the frets are extra jumbo.

The tuning pegs are of the golden locking type. At the moment they seem quite reliable.

Summarizing: Besides being very pretty, this is a very high level guitar. The guitar emanates quality everywhere and the finishes are top of the line.

If I could order a custom-made guitar, it would really look like this LTD, I would also order it with ebony fingerboard, extra jumbo frets, the same Schaller bridge, locking pegs, scale length, etc.

Now some pictures of walking around the house...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Features:

Body and bridge

- Body: Swamp ash
    - Cover: Quilted maple
    - Construction: Neck thru
    - Finish: Faded blue Sunburst
    - Binding: White
    - Bridge: Schaller Hannes 8

Neck and fretboard

- Neck: 5pc Walnut/Maple/Paduak
    - Neck profile: Thin U
    - Fingerboard: Ebony
    - Fingerboard radius: 350mm
    - Frets: 24 Extra Jumbo
    - Inlays: Pearl + carbon fiber
    - Scale length: 27".
    - Nut: Graphtech Black Tusq
    - Nut width: 54mm

Hardware and electronics

- Controls: 1x Volume, 1x Tone (P/P), 5-position Super Switch
    - Additional electronics: Mini split-coil switch
    - Bridge tablet: Dimarzio Eclipse 8
    - Neck pad: Dimarzio Eclipse 8
    - Tuners: LTD Block
    - Strap buttons: Standard
    - Hardware: Gold

2. fps

fps Kit

Looks fantastic, how does it sound?

Joan Maal likes this.
  3. Joan Maal

Joan Maal SS.org Regular

With a lot of sustain. Being neckthru and the neck not as thin as the Ibanez ones, I feel that the seventh and eighth sound more defined ... I guess the pickups also have something to do with it. The guitar really feels very solid, it sounds fantastic and is very comfortable

fps likes this.
  4. Ben Pinkus

Ben Pinkus SS.org Regular

Awesome!! HNGD

Joan Maal likes this.
  5. Shawn

Shawn ESP • Ibanez Forum MVP

Very nice! Great pics too. Congrats!

Joan Maal likes this.
  6. Acaciastrain360

Acaciastrain360 SS.org Regular

Looks so rad! If the truss rod cover is anything to go by the rest of the ‘carbon fibre parts’ are deffo not actual carbon

Joan Maal likes this.
  7. Mathemagician

Mathemagician SS.org Regular

I’ve always thought that was one of the best guitars they ever made under the LTD line. Like everything about it is some they would otherwise never do. So glad to hear the build quality is great!

Joan Maal likes this.
  8. Musiscience

Musiscience Hail the Ibbyborn!

Possibly the only import ever with a Schaller Hannes? Really nice that you got a model with one, it's now changed for a more run of the mill bridge I think. Happy NGD

Joan Maal likes this.
  9. Supernaut

Supernaut SS.org Regular

That's a really nice slab of ebony on that board. I'm always on the fence about 8's without multiscale but this one is just pure class.

Joan Maal likes this.
  10. Mwoit

Mwoit SS.org Regular

Joan Maal likes this.
  11. Joan Maal

Joan Maal SS.org Regular

That red sparkly finish is awesome looking ... Very nice

Mwoit likes this.
  12. Mwoit

Mwoit SS.org Regular

It's quite bold but I imagine under stage lights, it's dazzling. Have you changed the gauges on your JR-608? The stock gauges are stupid.

13. Joan Maal

Joan Maal SS.org Regular

Of course... to 0.09 - 0.80 ( Ernie Ball 2624 ) Very happy with them