NGD - Legator N8FP - My Disappointment is immeasurable -_-

Koldunya

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
This is what they sold me vs what I got:
WhatTheShitLegator.png
They are nothing alike o_O The headstock kinda is...

I wanted a vibrant purple guitar and I got one that is barely purple and almost looks fucking brown.

It's well-built, seemingly, at least, fret ends are great. The grain is nice, and I can absolutely unfuck this, but there is no way this is an "oops" or "eVeRy CaMeRa oR mOnItOr iS dIfFeReNt" thing. They absolutely photoshopped/IG filtered their own fucking guitar...

CanserDYI

Yeah, No, Definitely.
Reaction score
That or the proof photo was a prototype finish and not finalized and they never bothered to change the photo for the final, cause those seem very to have a very different color science.

Koldunya

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Also different lighting, different piece of wood, etc.

Legator posts pictures of a prototype guitar. You are aware that production guitars that show wood grain vary quite a bit in appearance, which includes color, right?
yes I am aware of all that (well, minus the prototype thing). Seriously though, you're coming at me like I'm being unreasonable or ignorant? They are nothing alike, at all. It's practically brown unless I angle it really awkwardly.

They still have the same pictures on their site.
Here's a better pic of the headstock, which I'd be mostly fine if the body resembled this:
IMG_7081.jpg

Last edited:

Koldunya

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
That or the proof photo was a prototype finish and not finalized and they never bothered to change the photo for the final, cause those seem very to have a very different color science.
The initial "what the fucking hell" is wearing off now. And I can totally refinish it and make it look fantastic just based on what I've been doing to wood with some stains, and it's still an ash body after-all. I'm probably going to take a wire brush to my brand new $950 guitar (lol nut being entitled about the price, but finding it funny to 'damage' something so new and pricey) and maul the shit out of it to remove the finish (which raises the grain), stain in black, sand back a little, and put some purple on it. It should come out something like:
DB97095A-D1EF-4D30-B1BA-B69D1C759631.jpg

or
5F4E7EE2-C412-4711-8026-F03DD7E58D5B.jpg

Or whatever, those are the only pics I could find though the boards themselves look a lot better atm.

As a whole it's a solid guitar, it's a 28-26.5" multiscale 8-string with a great-feeling neck, nice fret ends that I don't need to work on, pickups are decent and some guy on YouTube mentioned some mods he did to the electronics that greatly improved the Hive pickups in his opinion, etc.

My only issue was how shockingly different the finish is

Koldunya

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
This is kinda weird, but it looks more and more purple as I look at it. More of a red-violet.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that it's growing on me or something

I think people are being hard on you because Legator has a pretty bad reputation for delivering the goods. That’s a pretty stark contrast from the photo to what you got. I would be pissed too if that happened to me.
yeah, I was hesitant due to some of that, but I also found a lot of evidence (anecdotal, some with pictures) or something saying they had turned over a new leaf (and new factory) a couple years ago or something, so I took the leap.

The guitar itself is really good imo. Basically no issues, at all, with the build quality. Even the nut is rounded and shaped very nicely, way nicer than any other guitar I've owned. It plays really well, very comfortable neck, etc, and convinced me to keep an 8-string guitar after I thought 7s were the perfect medium between 6 and 8.

The finish on the headstock is mostly okay, imo. It's noticeably lighter and works better. It's almost like they continued the fade from the body to the headstock in this case. And yeah, now that the initial shock is over I'm feeling it more and more. There is one spot on the front where they didn't hit the grain with quite enough color, so it's light and noticeable. The back has several light spots like an uneven stain job.

Every minute it seems to be growing on me more, I doubt I'm going to touch it for a very long time, finish-wise, and just let it be its thing for now.

Dayn

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I'm glad someone else bit the bullet because I'd been entertaining the idea of that purple N9FP. But of all the things I was worried about, I never imagined colour would be one of them. Thank you for your sacrifice.

High Plains Drifter

... drifting...
Reaction score
This is kinda weird, but it looks more and more purple as I look at it. More of a red-violet.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that it's growing on me or something

yeah, I was hesitant due to some of that, but I also found a lot of evidence (anecdotal, some with pictures) or something saying they had turned over a new leaf (and new factory) a couple years ago or something, so I took the leap.

The guitar itself is really good imo. Basically no issues, at all, with the build quality. Even the nut is rounded and shaped very nicely, way nicer than any other guitar I've owned. It plays really well, very comfortable neck, etc, and convinced me to keep an 8-string guitar after I thought 7s were the perfect medium between 6 and 8.

The finish on the headstock is mostly okay, imo. It's noticeably lighter and works better. It's almost like they continued the fade from the body to the headstock in this case. And yeah, now that the initial shock is over I'm feeling it more and more. There is one spot on the front where they didn't hit the grain with quite enough color, so it's light and noticeable. The back has several light spots like an uneven stain job.

Every minute it seems to be growing on me more, I doubt I'm going to touch it for a very long time, finish-wise, and just let it be its thing for now.
I mean... tbh I like the one that you received way more than the purple in Legator's pics. I didn't wanna say anything cause you seemed pretty irritated and set on refinishing it but when I look at both, that particular purple hue from their pics has been done a million times and sometimes it looks cool/ appropriate for whatever particular guitar, but a lot of other times it just looks cheap/ boring... almost dated.

And if I was to go a step further, I'd say that on a guitar that shows a lot of wood-grain, that the finish color that you have there looks much more natural, classy, and certainly timeless. I mean... I like a lot of purple hues but with that grain and hardware color and body style, I like the more regal-looking maroon-ish purple that you received. I think it looks killer, dude. I'd much prefer that one to the one in Legator's pics.

Congratulations, dude.

Randy

✝✝✝
Super Moderator
Reaction score
The lighting for your pic is awful. Dark purple guitar with black fretboard and hardware on a white background. The shutter/ISO will absolutely swallow up any contrast on the guitar itself.

Get us a picture outside or take the picture again with shutter/iso locked into the body rather than the background.

tofudoom

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Yeah, I don't know. Looks purple to me, but the lighting in your pic is also terrible.

I get the disappointment, but Legator is far from the only guitar maker to have "prototype" photos or photoshopped pics that don't show the actual guitar. This is one reason why I prefer to buy from shops that take photos of the guitar.

Tree

-________-
Reaction score
Their customer service is pretty on point these days. It may be worth emailing them if you’re that disappointed in the finish. They may be willing to swap for one that’s closer to what you want.

FWIW it looks dope, and if it’s anything like the others in the newer performance lines I’m sure it plays fantastic. Especially considering the price these go for.

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score
*Narrator* And that was the last they ever heard from the OP. Every year, around Memorial Day, someone will inevitably bring up the post of the purple Legator, and everyone will stop, look around at each other, and, once again, quietly confirm that the OP has not yet surfaced. Is he happy? Did he return the guitar? Is he still using a potato as his primary camera? Only God and Legator will ever know.

Brayden Buckingham

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I actually like the dark purple more . When it comes to stained wood / transparent finishes , they seem to all vary anyways . I believe Sweetwater has individual pictures of every guitar ( I know they don't supply Legator ) but maybe those can be used as a reference for anyone curious about finishes in real life verses online photos ?

Grindspine

likes pointy things
Reaction score
yes I am aware of all that (well, minus the prototype thing). Seriously though, you're coming at me like I'm being unreasonable or ignorant? They are nothing alike, at all. It's practically brown unless I angle it really awkwardly.

They still have the same pictures on their site.
Here's a better pic of the headstock, which I'd be mostly fine if the body resembled this:
IMG_7081.jpg
Eh, I was not specifically saying that you are ignorant. Color can be very, very subjective. This is only amplified by personal preference, wood grain, depth of stain, comparison pictures, internet hype, price paid, etc.

I have seen the sales side of thing and had people absolutely scream at me about a guitar not meeting the expectation, then a few days later say that it really grew on them.

I have a purple color-flipping Ibanez that no pictures do any type of justice. Purple in particular is really tough to match from guitar to guitar.

Finally, I once had an assistant who was color blind. We argued about guitar colors a bit, 'til he conceded that he was actually full-on color blind. That made for some great reasoning why he kept missing service orders as he could not read the orange text on a white background.

Albake21

"Just get a used Ibanez Prestige."
Reaction score
It's been almost a week and I'm still interested in seeing a picture of this guitar outside because I feel like it would be pretty close to the original picture. I truly think it has to do with both the lighting and the variations in ash.

Thesius

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I've seen a few of these on social media now and they look like the left pic 🤷‍♂️