NGD: Kamer SM-1H: Single Humbucker 80's Throwback

IbanezDaemon

Raptus regaliter
Reaction score
It's not often I buy new guitars but I did say I was G.A.S.ing for one of these. This is one of the new SM-1 models that usually are HSS (Humbucker with 2 mini Buckers actually) that are the Stagemaster reissues but with this single Humbucker version this one would be the reissue of the late 80's Stagemaster Mach-II.

Great guitar for the price and available in 3 different finishes. I opted for the Shockwave Purple one as it's the most 80's looking finish of the three. Not the greatest shade of Purple I have ever seen, wish they had gone with a more Purple Neon/Chameleon finish ala the mighty RG550-PN. This thing plays super well straight out of the box. Set up with a real low action and I'm betting the retailer I bought this from didn't have a tech setting them up either. I didn't have to adjust a single thing. The humbucker is a Seymour Duncan JB which you have the option of Series or Parallel on via the push pull pot. Floyd is a 1000 model...next best thing in the range to the original and I've never had a problem with them. Guitar is surprisingly light being an all mahogany body and neck. Ebony board and MOP effect Kramer 'Claw' inlays.

I'll probably swap that JB out for something with a lot more oomph like an X2N or a Warpig. Build quality is good, no frets that need attention. Only defect is the Kramer inlay at the 12th fret shows some discoloration yet still passed QC. I'm sure the shop didn't check it that much either but I have contacted them about it.

Def recommend the SM-1 series. For better tonal options go with the older ones. The best Shredders that Gibson make!

P1010016 (2).JPG
P1010003 (2).JPG
P1010005 (2).JPG
P1010009 (2).JPG
P1010017 (2).JPG
P1010022 (2).JPG
P1010026 (2).JPG

IbanezDaemon

Raptus regaliter
Reaction score
I kind of roll my eyes are people that are always like " I like this except for the inlays " but the raptor teeth or whatever it's called on these Kramers are awful
Thanks for the input. Yeah...they are not for everyone. I know guys that hate Sharktooth inlays on my Ibanez and I'm like....WHAT?!?

gunch

Riff Chugman
Reaction score
Thanks for the input. Yeah...they are not for everyone. I know guys that hate Sharktooth inlays on my Ibanez and I'm like....WHAT?!?

From what I understand, for a while in the 90s and 00s, sharkteeth were more common on standard series Ibanezes and carry that (unfounded, imo) stigma. I would love a RG350DX no problem if it had good pickups and didn't have anything wrong with the frets or neck

IbanezDaemon

Raptus regaliter
Reaction score
From what I understand, for a while in the 90s and 00s, sharkteeth were more common on standard series Ibanezes and carry that (unfounded, imo) stigma. I would love a RG350DX no problem if it had good pickups and didn't have anything wrong with the frets or neck
Hmm. makes some sense that. They first appeared 88 on the RG7XX series models but those original ones were discontinued circa 1993. The 550LTD models ran with them for 4 or 5 years. When the Prestige line kicked off in earnest in 2003 (first Prestige models were 1996) a lot of them went with smoke or ghost sharktooth. On standard series you'd be looking at DX models but yeah you could always get lower end models with the Sharkies in any given year.

IbanezDaemon

Raptus regaliter
Reaction score
Sexyyyy
The color looks way better in your pics compared to kramers product photos
Thanks very much. I always try to shoot outdoor pics in natural sunlight to give a better representation of the finish. Not always possible here in the North of Ireland...lol!

IbanezDaemon

Raptus regaliter
Reaction score
I'll never tire of guitars like that. It's like a Mark IV amp - while it can do other things, it is really suited to do one thing, and it just slays at that one thing.
Holloway: I think that's def the coolest reply I've ever had to an NGD post. It's a no frills, simple riff machine...designed to crank out Crue, Dokken, Ratt etc. Thanks!!!

Edika

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Looks so cool and congrats! And with one hum, it's just a metal machine! I know a lot of people don't care for the JB but it's a classic, can cover a lot of ground and for someone buying their first decent guitar it's a good upgrade. Of course X2N or Warpig are on another level output wise lol!

IbanezDaemon

Raptus regaliter
Reaction score
@tedtan Thanks man!

@Edika Thanks. Wise words for sure. The JB is a great all rounder. I need higher output pups and infinite gain to make up for my sloppy playing....lol!

IbanezDaemon

Raptus regaliter
Reaction score
Maybe just me but I totally think the Kramer Pyramid Large K to small R is the coolest headstock logo and shape ever. That's going back to all the cool 80's models for me. I think the 'USA' Esp made ones from 1986 onwards sported that logo. Lots of overseas with that too:

suegibson.jpg
P1010011 (2).JPG

Surveyor 777

I measure things
Reaction score
Congrats! I love that color.

I got one of those a few years ago-the orange one with the HSS configuration. I much prefer yours, since I don't like middle pickups very much.

And I love the inlays. I saw a Stagemaster on an instructional video in the early 90's and the guy had one with these inlays. I decided that if I ever had the chance to get one w/those inlays, I would.

IbanezDaemon

Raptus regaliter
Reaction score
@josh1 Thanks man.

@Surveyor 777 Cheers. Ah you had the Orange Crush finish. That looks killer although I've never seen one in the flesh. Next one I'm after is the Candy Red Finish but I haven't seen one pop up for sale in ages:

candy apple sm-1.jpg