NGD: JP2C and a potential problem

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by efx1138, Aug 16, 2019.

1. efx1138

efx1138 SS.org Regular

Yeah, I'm going to see if I can get a replacement unit for it tomorrow and see if it still happens. Thanks again for your inputs :)

c7spheres likes this.
  2. c7spheres

c7spheres GuitArtist

Probably best at this point to try a new unit. Are you really wanting to use those IR's? If not there's a lot of passive boxes that sound great. I'm always talking up the Sequis Motherload because I love mine. Ir's can always be used in the daw, but if needed for live too then choices are limited to the Suhr, TwoNotes, Pangea and a couple others really.

3. c7spheres

c7spheres GuitArtist

I was just thinking too. You got a JP2C. It has the cab clone on it. They sound good actually (I know I'm gonna get railed for saying that). The problem is that nobody gives them a chance because of all the bad hype around it. If you really don't like the CabCLone, you can also use the slave output to your daw and load IR's up that way too, or go toa Two notes or Pangea system for IR's, but I'm pretty sure the speaker has to be on for that, not entirely sure though. Might want to check out. Oh, just know you must have a speaker or load connected to the amp any time you turn the speaker setting to off. Hope you had it turned on when trying out the load box though.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2019
    efx1138 likes this.
  4. efx1138

efx1138 SS.org Regular

That's actually a good idea if nothing else to just see where the issue is.

So, I could try to use the cabclone output into my interface while still using the speaker cable to load the Suhr. That way I could perhaps see if there's something in the amp or if it is as you think an issue with the Suhr.

c7spheres likes this.
  5. c7spheres

c7spheres GuitArtist

I edited my last post, not sure if you read the entire thing so you know. Some other ideas there too. That's an interesting idea too you're talking about. Make sure the speaker is turned to on position on the Boogie when using slave or a load box.

6. sharedEQ

sharedEQ SS.org Regular

Sounds like a microphonic pre amp tube.

7. sharedEQ

sharedEQ SS.org Regular

The way to rule out microphonic tube is bypass the preamp. Run your axe fx direct to the fx loop return then to the suhr load.

If it's still making the noise you know it's not a preamp tube.

That sound is 100 percent what a microphonic preamp tube sounds like.

You will probably end up running it this way eventually when you get tired of the Mesa preamps. might as well do it now.

8. efx1138

efx1138 SS.org Regular

This is now solved :)

Turns out it was a bad Suhr unit with some grounding issue. The store gave me a new one and I can run all the settings I want with no issues. Glad it wasn't the amp.

Genuine thanks to everyone who helped out, I appreciate it. Time to enjoy my new amp :)

9. TheWarAgainstTime

TheWarAgainstTime "TWAT" for short

Glad it's all figured out!

efx1138, sharedEQ and XPT707FX like this.
  10. c7spheres

c7spheres GuitArtist

Nice! Let us know after some time with it how it works out for you and how you like the Suhr box with the Boogie. It looks like a great idea for all the IR users, definitely a Two Notes competitor it seems.

11. efx1138

efx1138 SS.org Regular

So far it's been great. I currently run both outs of the Suhr into my interface so I have both the IR but also a "backup" of sorts so I can try different ones in software to see if I like something better. The Suhr doesn't have a program per se to update IR's, you literally drag them to a folder so it's not the best but not a big hassle either.

The unit (and amp too tbh) is honestly more quiet than I thought considering I tried running the MV's very high. You hear the occasional noise but nothing that bothersome or something that ends up on the recordings in any way.

I'm really very happy with this setup :)

XPT707FX and c7spheres like this.