NGD: Jackson WR7

Discussion in 'Sevenstring Guitars' started by KnightBrolaire, May 19, 2021.

1. Emperoff

Emperoff Not using 5150s Contributor

Waaaay better looking than the "Ikea" charcoal model. Congrats!

xzacx and KnightBrolaire like this.
  2. Iron1

Iron1 Old School Blacksmith

Sweet fiddle!

KnightBrolaire likes this.
  3. nightflameauto

nightflameauto SS.org Regular

Congrats, man. I went with the grey ash model . . . first. Actually, I had planned on that being a one and done deal, but I'm so in love with the stupid thing I'm probably going to try to snag the finish you got too at some point just because. They are just stupid comfortable in all positions and sound great. Way thicker than you'd assume when you first pick them up. They're so light for how "big" they look you'd expect thin tone. Not so at all.

Happy belated new guitar day.

KnightBrolaire likes this.
  4. CovertSovietBear

CovertSovietBear Lord Bagel Supreme

Really nice finish on these, especially the neck. Comfort wise, how does it feel on your right arm? (assuming you play right handed). As in, Explorers and other pointy guitars usually shove my right elbow too far up and makes it uncomfortable with my sitting position.

5. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire \[T]/

I play in the classical position so for me my right arm/hand is in a more comfortable position (basically in line with my shoulder). If you play nonclassical it does make your arm jut too far to the right to get the same hand placement near the bridge.
    classical
    [​IMG]
    nonclassical
    [​IMG]

CovertSovietBear likes this.
  6. CovertSovietBear

CovertSovietBear Lord Bagel Supreme

Oh, that doesn't look too bad then. I play in classical position with my guitar sitting on my left leg but seems the shape of the guitar lends itself to it and cradles in place.

7. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire \[T]/

Yeah it definitely cradles the legs. Most of the star type shapes are great for playing in the classical position ime.

Strobe likes this.
  8. NoodleFace

NoodleFace Delicious Noodles

I play classical too and it's really nice. This guitar makes me want to get a foot rest like Jason Richardson

9. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire \[T]/

foot rests can be really helpful with non star shapes. Just don't buy a cheaper foot rest, they're usually junk and break easily.

10. Mathemagician

Mathemagician SS.org Regular

So WR7 or a Belageur Warrior/Xiphos shape instead? Inquiring minds want to know.

11. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire \[T]/

They're totally different feeling and sounding guitars tbh. Tartarus is completely dependent on how you spec it out. I'm sure you could spec one pretty comparably to the wr7 and be very happy.

Both have mahogany bodies with maple necks. My Tartarus has a maple fretboard, Wr7 has ebony.

My Tartarus has a thinner/tighter low end with a more aggressive midrange and high end under high gain. Neck pickup is clear and smoother in the high end. Not as warm as the imperium neck. I prefer it for clean stuff over leads but it does lead work fine if you roll off a bit of high end.

The wr7 is a bit darker, thicker, with a nice growl to the bridge. The neck pickup is very mellow and warm/smooth, which makes it great for lead work/ jazzy stuff.

The Tartarus' feral/evergreen set has better cleans and split coil sounds by far. The splits are very chimey and spanky.
    The imperium's splits are still great, just not chimey. They definitely deliver the spank though.
    Both sets are really great and can cover a lot of tonal ground tbh.

I can't really compare fit and finish since I got the wr7 used and custom ordered the Tartarus. Given Jackson's hit or miss qc I wouldn't buy one without trying it in person or being able to return it if trying in person isn't feasible. I only bought this one because it felt/sounded noticeably better than other wr7 I've tried.

Both balance very well on straps when standing, and both are very comfy when playing seated for me. No neck dive from either.

Like I mentioned in my OP, the balaguer has a much chunkier C shape neck versus the thinner flat D of the WR7. Not really a fair comparison because I wanted the thicker neck on the Tartarus.

Tartarus has a german OFR, wr7 does not.
    Tartarus has a 27" scale (I ordered it that way and like the feel of 27" as it gives me a little bit more room in the upper frets). WR7 is 25.5" (which is better for people with smaller hands or if you're doing bigger stretches and don't plan on downtuning much).

Both have nickel frets iirc.

Input jack location is comparable ( both are in the back wing). Wr7 has the jack a bit higher up but both are out of the way when strapped up.

Last edited: May 27, 2021
    AngryWhiteMan and Mathemagician like this.
  12. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire \[T]/

bump. I posted this stuff over in the jensen thread, but it's pertinent here as well, since I used the WR7 in some of the vids. Here's the WR7 through my Revv 100p into a harley benton 2x12 loaded with jensen stealth 80s.

Randy likes this.
  13. jco5055

jco5055 SS.org Regular

Dumb question but is this the import/pro model? Or the USA model? Also is there neckdive standing?

14. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire \[T]/

import model. Usa version has a roasted maple fretboard and lighter stain, also says custom shop on headstock.
    No neckdive standing for me.

jco5055 likes this.
  15. jco5055

jco5055 SS.org Regular

when you mention the classical position is better than a Rhoads, are you using the lower horn near the bridge to rest on your right leg and the lower horn near the neck to rest on your left, making it a little more vertical? I ask because that's why I prefer a Rhoads shape over a superstrat, so wondering if that more vertical "true" classical sitting it what you are referring to as opposed to just "it's on my left leg".

EDIT: I'm an idiot and didn't look at photos on page 2 lol, disregard