NGD: Jackson WR7

Discussion in 'Sevenstring Guitars' started by KnightBrolaire, May 19, 2021.

1. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire L'enfant sausage

Alright so I've got a huge backlog of shit I want to make ngds for, but I figured I'd start with the WR7 I got a few months ago. I've played a couple of these over the years but none of them clicked with me feel wise until I found this one.

Fit/Finish: I bought it used so I have no idea which of the minor dings and scratches are from the factory or from being manhandled by the previous owner. For what it is, it's in pretty good shape, with the corners being my main concern. Thankfully none of the point edges are dinged up bad, or worse broken off like the Mille Petrozza sig I tried a few weeks back. There's no clouding or swirl marks in the clear coat, with the clear being very thin and barely filling some of the more porous endgrain of the "mahogany".

I originally wanted the grey ash topped version as I thought it looked cooler, but honestly, the simple natural palette of this one won me over. For such an aggressive/extreme shape the palette and tiny sharktooth inlays makes it look much more elegant versus other warriors that jackson carries currently.
    Speaking of the inlays, there are some verrrrry minute gaps around the inlays in spots. Not a huge deal since you have to literally have your face right up to the fretboard to see it, but I figured I'd mention it.
    The black binding is a really nice touch around the headstock, and frankly I wish they'd done something like a black pinstripe on the body to tie into it. But whatever, that's just me daydreaming about specs.

Feel/playability:
    Initial setup was very good, with no dead spots or high frets. I didn't really have to adjust the trem or action height at all from where the previous owner had it set up. As such it's a joy to play, especially coming from mostly playing longer scale guitars for the last few years. I didn't think it would make a huge difference but the 25.5" scale makes playing some of Dave's runs on Great is Our Sin/Outer Ones wayyy easier compared to my 27" scale Balaguer or 28" scale ormsby. Not that I can't play his stuff on those guitars, it's just this one feels "right" for it. Also I'm a big fanboi of Revocation so that probably has more to do with it.
    [​IMG]

Neck is like a thin flat D shape from what I can tell. Relatively close to the necks on my 070, and nowhere near as chunky as my Balaguer or Ormsby's neck. Normally I hate thin necks as they hurt my hands, but this one is very comfortable for me.
    The warrior shape is extremely comfy for me whether I strap it up and play standing, or I play it sitting. I think it better supports the classical position than other positions, but that's just because I prefer classical positioning. The shape does sit perfectly for classical positioning though, moreso than a rhoads or superstrat ever do.

Sound: I love the Imperiums in this guitar. The cleans are nice but not amazing. They definitely don't do the ultra clear ultra modern djent stuff as well as they do warmer jazzbox type cleans though. The split coil modes are great for spankier riffs and actually do a good job of approximating single coil type tones imo.
    The bridge pickup has a thick, growling low end with a nice firm midrange. It's not overly vocal in the mids like say a juggernaut or JB, but it does have a fair bit of mid bite to it. High end is good but not overly harsh. Output is like medium/medium high from what I can tell. Bass response is pretty good but not stupidly tight like say dominions or titans.

Neck pickup is warmer on the high end comparatively and has better cleans tbh. Split sound is better as well. I prefer it for lead work over the bridge pickup as that roundness to the high end works better for sweeps and adding that extra sweetness/a bit of that vocal quality to single notes.

Anyways, here's a pile of clips through a bunch of my amps. gear used is in the track descriptions.

https://soundcloud.com/knightbrolaire/sets/imperium-7

oh and of course, the most important part. PICS:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

mrvomit, Perge, bjgrifter and 45 others like this.
  2. Apex1rg7x

Apex1rg7x Agent of Chaos

I'm not usually into pointy guitars but this one rules! Great score man!

KnightBrolaire likes this.
  3. Empryrean

Empryrean Constantly Gassing

^same!!! I always think I don't like pointy until I see one of these bad boys. Hngd!!

Apex1rg7x and KnightBrolaire like this.
  4. IbanezDaemon

IbanezDaemon Raptus regaliter

Wow!! That is truly killer looking!! Totally love that, HNGD!!!

5. mastapimp

mastapimp SS.org Regular

You call yourself a Revocation fan!? Where's the book for Existence is Futile and the receipt for Chaos of Forms!?

Just giving you a hard time. Last night I was relearning some of the witch trial solos last night and had my revo books out on the coffee table. Beautiful guitar and welcome to the WR7 club!

6. KnightBrolaire

Existence is Futile and Chaos of Forms books are in the mail lol
    I really love Witch Trials and United in Helotry's riffs. Took me forever to get through those

mastapimp likes this.
  7. mastapimp

mastapimp SS.org Regular

Scorched Earth Policy has some tasty riffs that I love playing. A lot of Dave's material is surprisingly difficult to play and takes me a while to pick up as well. I hope he releases the self-titled and Teratogenesis books next.

8. KnightBrolaire

Yeah he has a looot of tricky riffs, like the main string skipping alternate picked bit in Of Unworldly Origin. I chicken pick it because it's way easier for me.
    I don't know if I'd pick up the s/t book, but I'd def get Teratogenesis.

9. Mboogie7

Mboogie7 SS.org Regular

I dig this a lot. Congratulations and HNGD!

10. NoodleFace

NoodleFace Delicious Noodles

Man I really love that finish!

11. OmegaSlayer

OmegaSlayer SS.org Regular

Nice score!
    HNGD!!!

12. Quiet Coil

Quiet Coil Only obsesses over guitars when not playing them.

Noice.

13. Edika

Edika SS.org Regular

This is not helping my GAS for this model! HNGD man it looks awesome! And a massive Revocation fan here too!
    I had/have the same dilemma of the grey vs the natural one. I love the color schem of the grey model more bt I like the bevels the natural one has.

14. Anquished

Anquished hhnice!

Not a fan of pointy guitars usually but I love these. HNGD dude, looks killer.

15. shupe13

shupe13 SS.org Regular

Nice!

16. josh1

josh1 SS.org Regular

Badass

17. BigViolin

BigViolin JEFF LOOMIS SOLOIST!

That’s pointy goodness right there.

18. Lopp

Lopp SS.org Regular

Thanks for the detailed analysis. Looks great.

That makes sense. At least in that was the reason I got a 25.5" Eclipse 7: To make sure my stubby fingers can stretch far enough for certain licks.

HNGD!

19. Quiet Coil

Quiet Coil Only obsesses over guitars when not playing them.

You every try the Dreamcatcher? I feel like it’s essentially a hotter Imperium - maybe a tad darker. Not that you’re looking to swap, this is the Revocation sig after all!

20. KnightBrolaire

Yeah I never got around to trying the dreamcatcher. Hotter and darker doesn't sound like what I want. I reeeeeeally like the imperiums in this guitar so they're not going anywhere.

Last edited: May 21, 2021
    Quiet Coil likes this.