NGD: Jackson US Custom Shop 7. ARE YOU SERIOUS?

Discussion in 'Sevenstring Guitars' started by ChrisLetchford, Jul 28, 2012.

1. Loomer

Loomer Comfortably Dumb

I will say sincerely that I have never, ever met a "Djent" or whatever-fan that DIDN'T play guitar in some capacity.

..or had a vagina.

2. sol niger 333

sol niger 333 I like stuff

Nice top figuring. Looks like Prince's bedspread.

3. eaeolian

eaeolian Pictures of guitars I don't even own anymore! Super Moderator

Uh, dude? You did. :lol:

4. eaeolian

Exactly. Well said. :yesway:

5. HighGain510

HighGain510 Contributor

Everything you said might make sense to you as an endorsee, but here's the flip side from an actual paying customer's perspective:

1) Personally I like your band and I think you're an excellent, technically-proficient guitarist so there's no hate coming from me. ;)

2) I think the custom guitars your band has received are very, very nice.

3) Seeing the threads posted here, or seeing you guys play them live, does not make me want to rush out and buy a Jackson Custom Shop any more than I would have wanted one the day before. :lol: Basically the "endorsement factor" you're describing above has little-to-no effect on me personally.

4) Seeing guys pay for a custom shop guitar from Jackson and then wait 1-2 years was disheartening enough for me personally to never want to order a custom shop from them unless I saw/heard that they were able to kick out their custom shop guitars in 6-12 months.

5) As someone who is a guitarist, DOES have the money to buy a custom from them and DOES buy a decent amount of custom shop guitars, I would fall under that key demographic you're saying that they're shooting for, but their choice of going for marketing over focusing on getting their custom shop running smoothly seems counter-productive and to be honest completely scared me away from buying from them. :shrug:

I see the appeal of getting guitars into the hands of guys that are on stages that might help them sell more custom instruments, but in reality if I can't actually get what I'm trying to pay for in a reasonable amount of time, that's going to scare away more potential buyers than having a guy playing out with their guitars is going to gain them. :2c: As I said above first and foremost, I think you're a fantastic player and I dig your band, so don't take any of what I'm saying as a slam on you or your band whatsoever, it's more just the viewpoint of someone in that demographic they're targeting voicing an opinion as to why what they're trying to do marketing-wise is failing a bit. :)

6. groverj3

groverj3 Biologist/Guitarist

Keep in mind guys that Jackson's custom shop is a handful of people working in one shop. They also are owned by FMIC now.

This is how the custom guitar biz works. Especially at a big name company like Jackson. Also to remember, is that I highly doubt the custom shop actually generates much profit. Between expensive materials, artist endoresements, and the actual time required to build each guitar they probably lose money. Sure, Jackson could hire 5-10 more people, but that just means they would take 5-10x more orders and the wait time would be the same. It makes very little sense for them to try to get wait times down when they still get orders and they don't make money anyway. My assumption is they make money on their import models and the custom shop is more for advertising the brand.

7. groverj3

To get back on topic. That looks like a great guitar. Hopefully it plays as good as it looks!

8. Rev2010

Rev2010 Contributor

Good point

Not if people know it will take 2+ years to get the instrument. Many here and in other threads have said a 2 year wait time is a deal killer for them. Yes, I wouldn't expect less than a year but 2 or more gets ridiculous. So, if by making all these customs for artists is to sell, but they can't deliver the product in a reasonable amount of time then the defeat the whole purpose of advertising through artists since people won't want to wait so long

:scratch: Whether you posted the pics or some unknown SS.org member posted it we'd still see the work and it would promote itself, just like you say here.

I understand the logic of it perfectly, and it's a necessary business aspect. What I don't understand is how a business can mismanage their resources and wind up possibly hurting their sales. They could ya know... hire more people? If they can't keep up with orders but are still pumping out guitars to artists and for NAMM to show off their work that seems to indicate poor management no?

And I wasn't in any way trying to upset or offend you, I even stated that in my post. I also said, "Not downplaying any artists at all". So again, was not meaning any offense whatsoever, my only point in all this is they are mismanaging the fine line between promotion and actually fulfilling orders that keep the CS works and company in business.

This is all my opinion of course.

Rev.

9. groverj3

That was me :lol:. Again, I have no idea if that is true.

10. eaeolian

You're missing a key point here, though - they're NOT marketing CS guitars this way. Honestly, Jackson makes enough CS guitars that they don't need to market that aspect of the business.

What they do need to market is the new X Series 7 strings - the ones with the body shape that matches Chris and Misha's guitars.

It's the same logic other builders use, and it works.

11. sakeido

sakeido Contributor

lol hey that sounds familiar, except I'm up to a 4 year wait and have been trying to get my money back for 2 years with no luck. I shoulda just bought the custom Jackson I always wanted, and your new guitar just makes me want more...

12. HighGain510

HighGain510 Contributor

Ah, fair enough and that's a good point too Mike. Honestly, if there's one thing that had me wanting a CS Jackson 7, it was having the chance to play yours in person! :rofl: No amount of printed ads or endorsee photos comes close to actually being able to put your hands on the guitar and have that "wow!" moment.

I also think the random CS guitars that have been slipping out to dealers should have slightly more pedestrian features/options (I'm looking at you, oddly shaped 8-string Jacksons... :squint: :lol:) to help get them selling quicker to folks who are like myself and greatly prefer the instant gratification deal. :D

13. 7stringDemon

7stringDemon SS.org Regular

Off topic: This is one of the best videos I've ever seen :lol:

On topic: I'd have liked it just a bit more with black hardware. I'm not a fan of chrome unless it's on trans blue (and a few other colors). It's still not bad on this one either!

14. leonardo7

leonardo7 Banned

This, but Im not sure if Chris must play his Jackson and only his Jackson live. Im not sure what the deal is if there even is one. I cant see it helping Jackson much if he doesnt use it live and fully endorse it. I do think that Chris deserves it to say the least, and has worked so hard for it. To that I say Congrats!

15. ChrisLetchford

ChrisLetchford SS.org Regular

Yes, that was just one example though, it goes way beyond that...
    I do play throughs via Youtube that reach into the 20,000+ hits over just a couple months, per video, post pictures to thousands of people via facebook, playing the guitar on tour, etc...
    Next time Im featured in GuitarWorld that guitar will be in my hands, which with a full page
    is around $5,000 in ad space, that is now free for Jackson.
    Misha however even hit the cover of Total Guitar with his Jackson, which would be more around $10,000 in ad space if not more, again free for Jackson, then 3 page spread in Guitarworld with his Jackson, another $15,000 thousand in ad space, and then all the thousands he reaches via online as well.

I also get countless emails, messages, etc... asking for my advice on what guitar to get next, and dont get me wrong its flattering that people look to me for advice at all, its awesome and I answer them all, and the list would go on with all the promoting aspects.

In marketing its called "branding", you aren't trying to sell the product directly using a billboard, you are simply using the billboard to keep that name in said persons head so when it comes down to getting a guitar, they are hoping the first thing you think of is Jackson. Like Coke, everyone already knows Coca Cola, so why would they need to purchase ad space and run commercials, because it keeps "Coke" in your head instead Dr. Pepper when you order or pick out your next drink.

And I didnt take any offense to it at all, no worries, and I do understand your side for sure. I have had customs in the past that I paid for, like the ones I mentioned I have been waiting on for 3 years now, and Im seeing other guys get theirs first, so I get it. Obviously every custom shop runs in the exact fashion that you stated, and I have mentioned it before as well about hiring on more people, but that costs money, and then you have to insure those people, which costs even more money. So for them its not something they worry about since it will cost them money, as there will always be people that will pay and wait.

Im just here trying to do my part thats all.

dude, it sucks that people like that exist and can just take peoples money and have it not bother them one bit. its unreal.

thanks! it will definitely used live, its an awesome guitar!

16. TheFerryMan

TheFerryMan Sauvage

holy Christ.

17. Hybrid138

Hybrid138 SS.org Regular

So... About that play through :D

Soon?

18. purpledc

purpledc Proud blacksheep

Ill be honest. I dont really like how it all works with endorsees getting preferential treatment. But really its only if Im the one doing the waiting. I do tend to understand it though as much as I dislike the practice. The way I look at it its kinda a milestone for a successful musician. Just like signed bands make the money and get signature instruments. Its just one of the perks of the job that make it a desirable career choice.

I also was under the impression that the people that make artist guitars arent necessarily the same guys that make the everyday custom shop guitars. In other words I dont think every single CS instrument is handmade by Mike Shannon. I know some brands have specific people that only handle artist guitars and or special runs of particular instruments. I know Id be a little miffed If I ordered a custom jackson and I saw a signed artist getting an order in lightning quick time. But even though It would irritate me I still understand it is one of the perks of that job.

and before anyone accuses me of just agreeing with the signed artist to suck up, let be known that ive never even heard a scale the summit song.

19. purpledc

purpledc Proud blacksheep

Sorry man. This Im just not buying. Fender being one of the big greedies is not going to offer custom shop guitars at a loss. And at the going price for jackson custom shop guitars It pretty obvious they are making money doing what they are doing. When small luthiers who dont have the buying power of FMIC are building comparable instruments for half the price and dont have nearly the connections or equipment at their disposal I find it hard to believe that the jackson instrument is sold at a loss. Think about it man. A guitar company offering a custom shop at a loss just to offer the service of one? not gonna happen. I dont care what someone says who works for these companies. They arent going to spend a dime on a damn thing unless they have crunched the numbers and found they will get two dimes back.

That may have been the case at some point. But they may have said that before the japanese factory closed down. The X series was supposed to fill that void a little but with their high end japanese guitars taking a shit Id be surprised if they would cut USA production. Maybe the New guitars are doing so well that they feel they can make that cut. It would be a shame. But its odd. I didnt even think the custom shop and the factory guitars were made in the same place.

20. The Norsemen

The Norsemen A Viking

Yup. I came back here and it's still a damn sexy guitar.

However I'd like to jump in on this conversation.
    Honestly I don't care who you are, if you shell out 4k for a custom you're just as important as any other guitarist. I've always wanted a CS Jackson and still do.
    But it is pretty irritating that I'd have to wait 2 years for one and see Chris/Misha/whoever get 5 more in the process.

I get what you're saying. Really.
    But I don't think the JCS needs your endorsement to sell customs and I really doubt even 5% of the 90% of your fans that play guitar have the cash to shell out for a custom because they saw your NGD. They have enough money problems trying to get an axe-fx and a set of Aftermaths for their RG7321
    That's what cheaper signature guitars are for anyhow.
    Not a 4k Jackson that requires you to be suspended in cryogenic stasis to get.

Honestly it's probably more off putting to see how you all get your instruments way before any of us mortals do. You're grossly over exaggerating how beneficial it is for anyone other than yourself that you get your guitar before anyone else.
    Someone will see your guitar, see the JCS turnaround time for non VIP's and go "I think I'm going to get a custom just like that... from someone else."

Do I think you "deserve" the guitar? Of course. You're a paying customer.
    Do I think you should get it in a fraction of the time everyone else does? Nope.
    But what do I know.

Once again though it's damn nice and I hope you enjoy it.
    One day I will have a JCS RR7.