NGD! Jackson SLSMG (ridiculous score)

Discussion in 'Standard Guitars' started by Emperoff, Jul 3, 2019.

1. Emperoff

Emperoff Hasta la vista, Baby Contributor

While scanning local classfied sites I found something very interesting. One of those "electric guitar, Jackson brand" ads that tell you the seller has no clue about what they're selling.

Turned out to be a MIJ Jackson SLSMG in near mint condition for 250 bucks (these were 999$ brand new). Even frets are new. Just needs some polishing everywhere as the guitar was unplayed for a year an a half according to the seller. It's the early model with the EMG-HZs, but I recall these having thinner necks so I don't mind the pickups.

So here's what I found after exhaustive unpacking:

[​IMG]

Both me and my phone suck big time at taking pictures:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Crazy ass high action:

[​IMG]

Final QC inspection:

[​IMG]

The guitar itself is in pretty good condition, but it feels completely abandoned. The strings have corroded, which in return corroded the bridge saddles. Everything else looks mint (even has the adhesive cover on the truss rod and tuners). So I'm putting a fresh set of 010s and polish everything and see how it sounds (it's terribly out of tune atm and I won't bother plugging it in). I also have a spare set of tuners from an USA Jackson (Gotohs) that i might put in there.

Guitar is light, but not overly so as i expected by its name and shape (my 90s Ibanez S7420 was MUCH lighter).

The hardware store is clsoed atm so I'll report back after the guitar is up and running again! :metal:

2. Randy

Randy Sous Chef Super Moderator

One of my favorite playing and sounding guitars of all time. I remember the first time I played one and it was almost unsettlingly light. Great score.

3. Werecow

Werecow SS.org Regular

I have one as well and love it. I actually love those passive EMG pickups too. It has this tight chunkiness on the palm mutes that i've never found on any other guitar.

It's a great guitar :)

Last edited: Jul 3, 2019
  4. vilk

vilk Very Regular

Really great guitars, wish I hadn't traded mine...

5. Ordacleaphobia

Ordacleaphobia Shameless Contrarian

Hell yeah boi those are my favorite ads. Always hype for a ridiculous score, HNGD!

Only you can do your part to rescue neglected shred machines.

6. AkiraSpectrum

AkiraSpectrum SS.org Regular

nice score, especially if the frets still have lots of life in them!

yeah that action was in outer-space.

Ha ha, I could name a few companies out there that use cats for final QC, lol.

7. sakeido

sakeido Contributor

I had that exact guitar but the later model version that came with actives. Swapped the pickups out for EMG metalworks 57/66s and it sounded absolutely killer. Tuners are a weak point, I'd recommend swapping those out at your first opportunity.

that price is unreal. the crazier part is a few years ago that was a typical selling price for one of these.. then people seemed to figure out they were worth way more than that and values came up closer to what I'd consider fair for that quality of guitar. and even at $600 it's a smokin deal. these late MIJ Jacksons are fucking awesome. No doubt in 2030 people will be talking about them like the 90s Professionals

8. FancyFish

FancyFish SS.org Regular

The seller not knowing about this guitar seems pretty common because when I bought both of my SLSMGs, they were both mislabeled for different guitars.

9. gunch

gunch chungus

You utter fucker

10. Emperoff

I'll be updating first post soon with restoration updates!

If tuners bother me I'll swap them for Jackson USA tuners which are way better. I'll have a spare set when my main axe comes back from the luthier. :yesway:

No joke about MIJ Jacksons. I love my SLAT3-7 to death but this thing has better fretwork. I just polished them so I'm sure.

It's indeed very similar to the current slat3-6whatever model, so yeah.

11. decoy205

decoy205 SS.org Regular

That is a score! I’m a huge fan of mij Jackson’s and string through toms. Nice!

12. Emperoff

So I spent the whole afternoon restoring the guitar to its former glory, which included:

- Hardware cleaning to get rid of the corrossion
    - Neck conditioning
    - Fret polishing
    - Polish

The guitar doesn't look the same. It has a different truss rod than my other Jackson so I didn't have the proper tool. It still plays quite well after setting it up, with just a tiny bit of backbow. So after putting it to test, here's some more pictures!

Frets were very grimey due to string oxidation. Not anymore! You can tell the difference here :yesway:

[​IMG]

Pickups are EMG H3s. Funny they're releasing these again without the "HZ" suffix, but they are the same. And not very good... Manufacturers should support their quick-connect cable method though, because it's awesome.

[​IMG]

Close-up shot after cleaning the rust in the bridge. Can't fix the damage of the plating but it doesn't look that bad now. Turns out these bridges are dirt cheap should I want to change it anyway.

[​IMG]

Now we're talking:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Some findings:

PROS:
    - Neck is amazing. Thinner than a regular soloist profile it seems.
    - Weight is really great. It's lighter than my other guitars (which is quite easy), but not that much to feel like a toy. The contours are pretty sexy too. Very comfortable overall.
    - After polishing, fretjob is pretty darn good. Not USA good, but definetely better than my MIJ SLAT3-7.

CONS:
    - Pickups. They're not vintage sounding at all, but they're low output and not very clear as they have a weird thing going on in the midrange. They definetely work for standard tunings, but will probably suck for lower tunings. Nothing alike their active counterparts at all.
    - Finish is a fingerprint/scratch magnet!
    - Knobs are huge and the volume knob gets in the way a lot.
    - Tuners are garbage and I should probably replace the nut as well.

I still don't know if I'll keep it for long since I've been playing only 7-strings for years and it feels alien to me, specially with the TOM bridge (which I try to avoid like the plague). For the money I got it, it deserves to be pimped up a bit though. If I keep it, Gotoh locking tuners, low profile Q-Parts knobs and a nut swap are mandatory. And obvioulsy new pickups, too. I'll take it to my rehearsal place this afternoon for a test drive! :shred:

13. Decapitated

Decapitated Loser

Looks horrible. I will take it off your hands for $200.

14. Glades

Glades Down in the Everglades

Congrats! That is a great score for $250. These usually go for $300-$400 in good shape. Definitely got a great deal on it.

15. Mourguitars

Mourguitars SS.org Regular

Congrats on a good score !

Keep it...you will regret selling it very nice guitar, cleaned up well !

Enjoy,

Mike

16. littlebadboy

littlebadboy SS.org Regular

Try a roller bridge on that beauty! Happy NGD!

17. Cynicanal

Cynicanal SS.org Regular

The MIJ Jacksons always seemed to have thinner necks than the USA versions of the same model to me. My '90s KE3R has the slimmest neck I've ever played, even makes Wizards feel like 2x4s (and is much more rounded, to boot).

18. Chris Bowsman

Chris Bowsman SS.org Regular

Had a couple 90's MIJ PS-4s (reverse headstock Dinky, H-S-H, Floyd), loved them. Super thin fast necks.

Great score on the SLSMG! Remember playing one when they were new, and the super light weight and neck joint had me wondering if it was composite rather than wood.

19. gunch

gunch chungus

Man I’m going to have to hunt for one of these or a sls3 now don’t I?

Mourguitars likes this.