NGD: Jackson Pro Soloist SL2FM

Discussion in 'Standard Guitars' started by Ted Pikul, May 10, 2021.

1. Ted Pikul

Ted Pikul SS.org Regular

This is a really nice surprise so far, although I don't really have a good reason to be surprised. I just haven't seen much hype about Jackson Soloists recently, like I have for other guitars. But I'm doing neck-thru's and high gain right now, and it seemed like an obligation, almost, to get one. I came up with a good excuse to buy another guitar - I forget what it was, but it was good - and here we are. Two Seymour Duncan Distortion p'ups, maple neck, mahogany body, 3-way selector, Floyd Rose 1000. It weighs a little under 8 lbs.

The cleans on the guitar are a bit dirty. Based on reviews, it seems like that's just how they are. With gain, the guitar is wonderful, nice and heavy, punchy. Neck is kind of chunky, relative to other superstrats I've played, but not uncomfortable.

Visually, I don't find it compelling. It is that charming sort of guitar that doesn't look like much but is hard to put down.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The finish stops somewhat abruptly on the neck, right above the body...kind of a cut-rate look, but no biggie. Satin neck feels great.

[​IMG]

I've owned a few Charvel DKs, with SD Full Shreds. I love those DKs, but this guitar gets deep so much more easily. It also restored my faith in superstrats that weigh less than 8 lbs. I spent some time playing some Nadja, and the Soloist had no problem keeping up - almost like it was made for it...

I wasn't sure what to expect, and I'm very pleased. This guitar sounds great, and it doesn't sound like my other guitars. And it's a ball to play. And it's a Jackson neck-thru. I'm also glad because I like Grover Jackson. I think he's cool.

Only thing I gotta do now is figure out what to sell.

Alex79, feraledge, Edika and 15 others like this.
  2. AkiraSpectrum

AkiraSpectrum SS.org Regular

looks nice, congrats!

Ted Pikul likes this.
  3. Shawn

Shawn ESP • Ibanez Forum MVP

Very nice.....congrats!

Ted Pikul likes this.
  4. mbardu

mbardu SS.org Regular

Well at least as far as I'm concerned, I find it more than compelling. Looks great!
    Happy NGD to you!

Also- Jackson is weird with that neck finish transition...but at least you don't have to take it as a "cut-rate" look, since it's what they do on all (most of?) their oiled neck throughs...
    This is a 5k Custom:

JacksonCapture.JPG

5. Ted Pikul

Ted Pikul SS.org Regular

I just didn't want to sound too uncritical! I haven't had a shiny body/satin neck guitar in a while. It works perfectly. I don't dislike shiny necks, but I think I prefer satin/unfinished. I love the guitar, and would definitely recommend it, for build as well as tone and playability.

HoneyNut likes this.
  6. soliloquy

soliloquy SS.org Regular

for what its worth, ESP/LTD also has the same taped off 'harsh' transition from oiled necks to finished bodies. Epiphone kind of does that with 'satin/matte' neck and gloss bodies.

the guitar looks great. congrats.

Flappydoodle and Ted Pikul like this.
  7. Mike_R

Mike_R SS.org Regular

Happy NGD! I am of the opinion that the Pro Series SL2s are somewhat underrated due to being MII, but if you get a good one they are great guitars! My SL2P is my favorite guitar that I own. I still haven't found love for the Distortion neck, but after trying a half dozen bridges in mine I wound up liking the Distortion bridge it shipped with best. It is a great match for these guitars.

One thing to be aware of on that neck joint, if you do use oil on it the difference between the clear coat tape joint and naked wood will become even more prominent - on my latest SL2 I just clean the neck up with the scrubbing side of a dry, clean kitchen sponge to keep the back clean and smooth. Not a big deal, but man it feels great! When I go back to my guitars with finished necks it is a night and day difference.

Enjoy! I know I do. I think my SL2P is going to need a level soon, might just get stainless frets put in because I love it so much!

Ted Pikul likes this.
  8. Ted Pikul

Ted Pikul SS.org Regular

The other Indonesian guitars that I've recently bought, from ESP LTD, are excellent. I hadn't actually played a satin neck for a few months. This feels better than a bunch of satin bolt-ons that I played over the last few years. I have no problem with finished necks, but I really like satin.

I'm really impressed by the Distortions in this guitar. In my LTD M-1 '87, it's a buzzsaw. In this guitar, the bridge, with gain, is a behemoth, and it's also a rock machine. Not every pickup can do it, but this one is great with gain, generally - gives you greasy rocknroll and tight, dry metal. I actually love the cleans, they're fantastic. Very usable, very enjoyable to play. No mush.

Anyway, I was prepared to get something that would be a step down from the LTD 1000s I've been buying, but this guitar is right there with them. Another great guitar from Indonesia. And Grover Jackson. (And Fender and etc.)

edit: I removed a discussion about getting dirt on my cleans. The whole thing seems to have been an issue with a preamp tube. I'm really impressed by the humbucker cleans on this guitar.

edit II: ...and it's absolutely fantastic with gain, and it doesn't sound like my other guitars, with and without gain, including my other guitar with an SD Distortion. That's helpful.

Last edited: May 11, 2021
    Millul likes this.
  9. Crumbling

Crumbling SS.org Regular

I give my oiled neck a light sand down when it starts to feel gritty, then redo the wax and its better than new. Feels a hell lot better than satin, but also a lot more maintenance

Ted Pikul likes this.
  10. groverj3

groverj3 Bioinformagician

Nice!

HNGD!

Ted Pikul likes this.
  11. feraledge

feraledge Heard the Good News about Maple Fretboards?

Congrats! I actually really love that finish

Ted Pikul likes this.