NGD Jackson DKA8 & strings question

Discussion in 'Extended Range Guitars' started by ricksa82, Apr 12, 2014.

1. ricksa82

ricksa82 New Member

Hi everyone, just signed up

Id traded my Prestige RG2550 for a Jackson DKA8 this week just gone and loving it already! Brilliant instrument, quality, and so much potential, also have to say these Planet Waves locking tuners are a genius idea :)

Quick question about the strings, its still got the factory 9-65 strings on and the F# is a bit floppy. The guy I traded it with sent a packet of Ernie Ball 10-74's with it and I know these would help increase the tension a bit, their apparently also good for Tosin Abasi's tuning too, I was wondering if I restring the guitar with these would I have to adjust the truss rod or anything?

Thanks in advance

2. thedarknightshreds

thedarknightshreds Goregrind Elitist

:worth:
    But anyway HNGD!

3. Valennic

Valennic Many Fingers

HNGD :cheers:

I love mine to death, not a huge fan of the pickups, but they're more than better than the stock EMGs in 80% of other eight strings :lol:.

You shouldn't need to adjust anything, that's not a very big jump, and Even going to an 80 for my low F I didn't need to adjust.4

EDIT: Also, don't base your string tension off of Tosin's. He's rocking a wildly different setup, what'd feel tight there won't feel quite the same on the DKA8.

4. ricksa82

ricksa82 New Member

Oh you've seen them before! Thanks :)

I love the pickups, myself, they sound great so far, had it running direct to a Blackstar HT5RS 2x12 mini stack and i've flicked through the stock presets in a Zoom G3, sounds good, just a tad muddy on the low string, ill also be experimenting with an iPad setup with Amplitube and the iRig HD and / or the new iLoud studio monitor next week

Also thanks for the tips, good to know I don't have to go messing with the truss rod! :mad: and what I meant by Tosin's Tuning was just the EBEADGBE tuning, that was all, now safe in the knowledge I can restring it with this slightly heavier gauge set!

5. Go To Bed Jessica

Go To Bed Jessica SS.org Regular

That 10-74 set is a disaster. The tensions are ridiculously uneven.

Check out the new GHS sets or the Curt Mangan 9-84 set for something a bit better thought out.

Other than that there is CircleK/Kalium who everyone around here seems to love. I have yet to try them because of the insane shipping cost to get them to Australia.

Also, make with the pics man!

6. JmCastor

JmCastor SS.org Regular

i have the New GHS sets (extra light) and they feel extremely balanced for my taste (and i am in the Tosin tuning)

7. ricksa82

ricksa82 New Member

Thanks for the input

Would you have to adjust the truss rod after putting on the 9 - 84?'s? Also would an 84 fit through the tuning key on the Jackson?

Thanks

8. Pooluke41

Pooluke41 H. Maddas

I was using a 74 for a low G and that was waaaaayyyy too light for me.

I'd probably use a 74 for like A#/Bb or something. But I'd also end up using something stupid like a 90 or something for F# as well.

9. Go To Bed Jessica

Go To Bed Jessica SS.org Regular

Truss rod might need a bit of tightening, but if you take your time and be careful it's an easy thing to do. You won't really know if it will need adjusting until the strings are on there.

As for the 84 fitting into the tuner - probably not. You have two options to get around that problem:

1. Drill the tuner out - this is a permanent solution. Do it once and you will never have to worry about it ever again... and you're going to want to use bigger strings than it can take anyway.

2. Unwrap the outer winding of the string. If you're going to do this, it's a really good idea to solder the string behind the nut and the tuner before you unwind the last bit - otherwise the outerwrap can lose tension all along the string and it will make a horrible rattling noise when you play it. If you take this option, you'll have to do it every time you change strings.

TL;DR - drill the tuner or get a tech to do it for you