NGD: Jackson Custom Shop

Discussion in 'Standard Guitars' started by drgordonfreeman, Oct 11, 2013.

1. drgordonfreeman

drgordonfreeman On vacation

After thinking about it, I think I'm going to reach out to Matt today to see what can be done. I'll keep you guys posted.

2. Rev2010

Rev2010 Contributor

Definitely do, I'm curious as hell to see what they say. You really should at the very least be due some form of partial refund no matter how small. Btw, can I ask... did Matt send you pics before he shipped it to you? I know I'd like to see pics first before I charge the remaining balance. I'll be sure to count all the frets :noplease:

Rev.

3. Mr Richard

Mr Richard SS.org Regular

Also I would like to hear the full story with your experience with the Jackson CS. Good or bad, it could help others in the future, plus it's interesting to hear.

4. DanakinSkywalker

DanakinSkywalker SS.org Regular

Dude. There's no way you should have to wait 2 years and spend a whole bunch of money on a CUSTOM SHOP guitar with 23 frets when you said 24. Don't be a pushover about it, you need some compensation for sure.

5. MikeyLHolm

MikeyLHolm Lightning Mike

Cheer up guise. Its perfect ....ing guitar for Harmonic E Minor shreddage.:shred:

6. Ironbird

Ironbird Kahler Abuser

How did the CS allow you to build that?

Based on what I've read at the JCF, Jackson CS won't even think about doing anything close to 'artist spec' ie a King V with a Kahler fixed bridge (even a trem, for that matter as the bridges can be swapped easily).

:nuts:

7. drgordonfreeman

Yea, Matt sent me pictures before hand. Matt's not really at fault here. He's been pretty good through this whole thing. Since I'm at work ~20 hours per day (I'm a Senior Manager in Core Assurance at a Big Four), I do most correspondence through my iPhone, and on my phone, the guitar looked fine. I never even thought to count the frets in the pictures, honestly, because it never occurred to me that Jackson would do something like that. It wasn't until I actually had the guitar in my hands that I realized it wasn't right. You live, you learn I guess.

Thanks for the words of encouragement!

The problem is I just don't have the time or energy to screw with this sort of crap. As I said above, I'm an auditor at a Big Four firm. With 168 hours in a week, my schedule is usually booked at around 200% of that. No joke. There's just not enough hours in the day for me to worry about these sorts of things. That's why I pay money to theoretically trust worthy sources, such as a big name custom guitar shop, to deliver.

I've reached out to Matt, and he got back to me pretty quickly. I think the guys over at Jackson are pretty floored this incident happened. I'll be interested to see if they propose any sort of remediation plan here.

What scares me is that I have two more custom shop guitars on order with them.

8. Rev2010

Rev2010 Contributor

Wasn't implying in any way shape or form that Matt's accountable for this, not at all. This is Jackson's mess up plain and simple. Was just saying since he's the dealer, and you don't have a direct contact at Jackson, to see if they can give you a partial refund. It would make more sense for Jackson anyhow to offer a partial refund. A rebuild will cost them much more, and if I were you I wouldn't wait for a rebuild unless they can promise it in 6-8 weeks max and let you hang on to this one in the interim.

Rev.

9. eaeolian

eaeolian Pictures of guitars I don't even own anymore! Super Moderator

I would be surprised if they didn't rush a replacement.

That said, WTF, Jackson?

10. jayelnyc

jayelnyc SS.org Regular

Awesome guitar bro. Makes me think of Marty Friedman.

11. AhsanU

AhsanU pew pew.

Ow, my penis.

Congrats man, she's absolutely beautiful! And if you're honestly okay with 23 frets, then it's whatever. As long as you're okay with it. And if anything, tell Jackson that you'd like a price reduction or something on another build because of this cock up.

But I saw a Jackson KE1 very similar to this on eBay, except it had a Kahler tremolo. It sold for about 2 grand or so.. I regret not pulling the trigger on it. Damn, major GAS now.

12. drgordonfreeman

Yea, sorry about that, I wasn't implying that you implied it was Matt's fault. :lol:

[​IMG]

No worries! I doubt they'll promise it in 6 - 8 weeks, but strangers thing have happened... like 23 fret guitars.

Well, Matt reached out to them yesterday morning, and I didn't hear anything back on it today at all. I'd think they'd be a little more hurried than that to get a resolution, but maybe they just don't care? Who knows.

13. jacksonplayer

jacksonplayer The Fusion Guy! Contributor

I was wrong in my earlier post. It can't have originally been built for 24 frets on a 24.75" neck. You couldn't fit 23 frets at 25.5" on a fretboard designed for 24 @ 24.75". The guitar HAS to have been specifically built for 23 frets--there was nothing accidental about it. Someone at Jackson must have read your spec sheet wrong, and then it wasn't caught in QC. That's just really weird. BC Rich used to make 25-fret guitars, but I've *never* seen a 23-fret guitar. It should have set off alarm bells.

14. Overtone

Overtone SS.org Regular

Sell it to Michael Jordan... problem solved.

15. Dooky

Dooky SS.org Regular

Seriously, I would be asking for a 50% discount. They would likely give you something close to a 50% discount because as has already been said, it would cost them a lot more to do a complete rebuild. Plus, expecting you to pay full price or anywhere close to full price is just bad rep for their business.

16. Rev2010

Rev2010 Contributor

OK, I'm really not trying to make matters worse, but is it just the photo angles or are those side dots also misaligned? Looking at the high end of the fretboard they look like they're getting lower and lower in the binding and the second pic up at the top of the neck still looks like the dots are all out of alignment - first fret dot really low and the 3rd fret dot correctly in the middle.

Rev.

17. eaeolian

eaeolian Pictures of guitars I don't even own anymore! Super Moderator

Maybe they thought it was Zappa ordering from beyond the grave?

18. drgordonfreeman

UPDATE:

I wanted to give you guys an update. Jackson has agreed to rebuild the guitar; however, it'll take 3 to 4 months. After waiting 2 years, honestly, what's 3 to 4 months at this point, I guess... At least they've agreed to rebuild it and make this right. There are a lot of guitar companies out there that would have told me "tough shit". I'm glad Jackson isn't one of them.

All I can is I'm glad Matt's the cool guy that he is. He's been on top of this for me.

I'll let you guys know how it goes.

Man, I didn't even notice that, but you're absolutely right.

Considering what you just identified about, conbined with this knowledge:

I've gone from upset to seriously pissed. Jackson didn't even attempt to build this thing. Sweat shop labor in Burma could have built this better.

I just don't even know what to think after this whole situation. I mean, my jaw is sort of on the floor now that everything is starting to sink in.

19. Possessed

Possessed SS.org Regular

If you ask for a KV1, the answer is no!
    If you ask for a KV with 2 hum and kahler, the answer is yes!

20. toiletstand

toiletstand /\'...'/\

have they given you an explanation as to why it happened? what are the chances someone else actually ordered a 23 fret guitar?