NGD (Jackson Concept Series RR24MG), my collection, and my messy office.

works0fheart

Tike Myson
Reaction score
Long post incoming.

Alright guys, so I've had this guitar for about 2 or 3 weeks now but I wanted to get a bit more playtime on it before posting anything detailed on it. Since then I've tried dialing in a few presets for it and taken it to band practice a few times, and just in general practiced on it. First things first though, let's get the specs.

This is your standard RR24 style guitar that many of you have come to know and love, but with a few different things. To make this easy I'm also going to list my thoughts on each of these specs. So we've got the following:

- Neck-through body construction
- It's no secret, and should be fairly obvious at this point, but I prefer neck-thru builds. This one feels fine and the Jackson neck profile has always been my favorite. It's thin enough for me without being too thin, and just feels the most natural in my hands.

- 5 piece Maple/wenge neck - Maple is becoming the standard for neck material now days it seems, which is fine to me as it's what I've always used anyways. I think each of my guitars has it now that I'm really thinking about it, and that wasn't necessarily intentional. I can't tell you whether the extra strips of Wenge make that much of a difference but it looks cool anyways.

- Ebony fretboard - I used to prefer ebony early on but I have to say I've even come to love rosewood in recent years even though I don't own any guitars with it currently. Lately I actually like maple fretboards quite a bit even though they tend to show their dirt a little too much for my liking. This board though feels smooth and I haven't found any issues with it yet. The only thing I can nitpick about is that it's not as dark as some of my other ebony board guitars, although I suspect that's not actually natural. My RC8X actually has similar coloring on the fretboard whereas my 2 Alexi's and 2 MIJ RR24's have pretty dark fretboards.

- Alder body - Not much to say here. Same situation as the neck. This has become a very standard wood in guitar bodies and I think it honestly sounds fine. Mahogany guitars sound very warm/round to me whereas alder sounds more bright/thin. I don't have much to say on this and I think the things I do have to say about sound with this guitar are centered around the electronics.

- 24 jumbo, Nickel frets - This, again, is no secret to anyone. It's actually annoying to me that a guitar at this price point doesn't feature SS frets, but that horse has been beaten enough so I'll leave it be this time.

- Original Floyd Rose - Now this may seem like something to skim over and forget fairly quickly, this is actually one of the big positives for me. Most of my guitars have been some form of a licensed Floyd (FR-1000 or w/e, etc). None of those I've had any serious issues with other than that the trim arm never seems to hold as firmly when tightened. This one actually is adjustabe to the point that I can get it to lock into a position or free-swing if I want. Is that worth a few hundred dollars extra? No, probably not, but I guess it's cool.

- EMG 81 (Bridge) + EMG 85 (Neck) - This is where my issues with this guitar comes in surprisingly. I own several other guitars with this same pairing and they're so inconsistent from guitar to guitar, at least for me. My white Soloist just sounds much more precise with this same combo, but more on that later. I can't get a sharp enough sound out of it on this guitar for some reason. I really like that articulated, precise, almost-percussive type sound in pickups and I'm having a hard time dialing that in with this guitar. That may be a few other things at work here that I haven't figured out yet, so any tips would be appreciated.

- 1 volume, 2 tone control - So this is more of just a minor gripe to me, but I very admittedly don't care much for tone controls usually. Give me a single volume and that's usually all I need. This guitar is no different, but the volume knob placement just confuses the shit out of me. Rather than it being the knob closest to the pickup, it's actually the one closest to the trim arm of the Floyd. This often irks me a bit when I'm practicing and I want to turn my guitar down only to find out that I just rolled back the tone knob.

- 3 way toggle - Not much to say on this. It does what it does I guess?

- Satin neck that transitions into gloss finish - I know this may look cool, but I'd rather it actually not have the gradual transition there, at least at that point on the neck. Once I go up to the upper frets and I hit the gloss it feels weird. I think they could have brought the transition closer to the joint. Not a big deal since I'm used to playing guitars with either finish, but I do prefer more of the satin feel.

- 12" - 16" radius, 25.5 scale - I never put a lot of thought into stuff like this, at least for the radius, but I'd imagine this is probably playing a big part in why Jackson necks feel so comfortable for me.

-
Luminlay side dots - These are a thing on here? Neat I guess. Never had a use a for them since I don't really gig, but I appreciate them including them.

- Foam core case - Hot take time: I actually like this case. Cases that are normally shipped with these guitars are huge, clunky, and just annoying as all hell to move anywhere. I actually like this one though it's admittedly not very durable if I had to guess.

So with all of that being said, I think it's a pretty good guitar. Is it worth $1900? Probably not, but at this point now days, that's debatable as well. It plays pretty well and I've had no issues with it other than trying to dial in the sound I like. It doesn't bad but it does sound different than the tone I usually try to dial in. I could do with an all satin neck and, of course, some SS frets, but all in all I really like the guitar. I wish I'd seen the new concept series HS RR24 before purchasing it though lol. I did have some issues getting this guitar though so I'll go ahead and provide a story on that.

I tried to order this through Musiciansfriend's ebay page since it was cheaper on there by about $200 (I would come to find out later that it was because it was open box, something that wasn't mentioned at all in the advertisement for it). When I purchased it I accidentally used the wrong payment method (I'm an idiot and this one is on me) so I went to try to change it only to find out that I couldn't, so from there I had to cancel the order. I immediately reached out to them and told them the situation and by the time they replied to me the guitar had been sold from the store floor (Which was pretty infuriating because that just tells me I wouldn't have received the guitar regardless since it was in under a 12 hour window). Anyways, so I reached out to Musiciansfriend through their contact info on their website and spoke to a guy named Rey. Rey was super helpful and managed to get me a brand new one at the same price. Thanks a lot, Rey!

Now, horror story time: I had been following the shipping updates on it because I was excited obviously. I live in an apartment complex in the Portland, OR area and typically Amazon packages in the like are delivered to a locker near the front office. I had assumed that this, being a large box, would have been delivered to the front office as well where they'd have held it and I'd swing by, sign something and pick it up. NOPE. I was at work and on lunch when I saw that it was listed as delivered so I went home to potentially pick it up from the office at the front of my neighborhood but upon pulling up to my place I saw it literally just leaning on my front door, out in the open. USPS dropped it off without even need of a signature or anything. This pissed me off pretty badly as theft is a common occurrence out here and someone thinking that leaving a box that large out front of someone's house was a good idea was just baffling to me.

Anyways, so what are all these other pictures? Welp, these are what I'm basing my review on comparisons to. Keep reading, because you might be surprised by this bit. Excuse my dirty office, I have 2 Huskies and dog hair is an endless battle, especially in February lol.

works0fheart

Tike Myson
Reaction score

(Let me know if link doesn't work, I'll post the pics another way if needed)

Jackson Soloist - So, just to get this out of the way, we'll start with the aforementioned White Soloist. I bought this guitar at a Guitar Center in early 2018 for maybe $400. I picked it up and played it and the sound absolutely blew me away, and actually made me rethink my opinion a bit on EMG's since I didn't care for them much prior. This guitar sounds absolutely monsterous and plays great. The only gripe I've ever had with it is the cheap tuning machines which I'll probably upgrade to some Sperzel's soon. Otherwise, this guitar beats the shit out of most other guitars I own in terms of sound and playability, which is hilarious for how much I paid.

LTD Blacky - I've had this guitar since like 2012 or 2013. I initially didn't care much for the EMG-HZ that was in it, and I knew that before even buying it since I'd played these guitars several times. After a bit of researching, I discovered the Seymour Duncan Nazgul and threw it in here. This guitar sounds so damned good that it's still what I play the most until this day. It's so articulate, punchy, and clear that I'd throw this same pickup in every instrument I own if I weren't so lazy about getting stuff like that changed out. The neck feels great on this guitar, though a little thicker than I'd like. Nothing I've played has sounded as good as this thing, from any price point. Other guitars may feel a bit better, but this thing just has unbeatable tone.

Edwards Alexi Black w/ White Stripes - This guitar sounds just as I'd expect it to and feels fine. The pickup is still the previously mentioned EMG-HZ, but for what this guitar gets used for (AYDY-era Children of Bodom songs) it sounds fine. I'd probably play it a lot more too if it weren't currently setup in Drop C (I don't care for drop-D variants much). This guitar feels good and plays good, but the sound is very much what most of us would come to expect out of an Alexi guitar: Very middy, thin, and not a lot of gain from the HZ itself.

Jackson Dinky 7 String - I kid you not, I got this thing for $150 on a Black Friday sale through Musiciansfriend years ago. I was actually pretty surprised at how well it plays and sounds for the price, but this thing really isn't anything to write home about. The neck and fretboard on it feel great and I love the Jackson 3x3 and 3x4 headstocks.

Dean RC8X Rustey Cooley - This guitar is pretty awesome although it hasn't been touched in a while. I don't know if it's the size of the neck or just the EMG's, but this guitar into a Roland JC-120 is some of the best cleans I've ever. That's mostly what this guitar was used for believe it or not. I'm not into djent or any of that really, but this guitar was a lot of fun for playing ambient and jazzy style stuff on. I'd like to actually get it restrung and fiddle around with it more but work steals a lot of my freetime now days.

Jackson RR24 MIJ Gold - This guitar, looks, feels, and sounds great. The previous owner never really played it just kept it in it's case or on a wall as a show piece. I actually really like it but something is off with the battery cavity on it and when I play the sound will randomly cut out if the battery cavity is bumped at all. I tried changing out the battery as I thought that might be it but the issue is still there. Some day I'd like to find someone better with electronics than myself to have a look at it.

Jackson RR24 MIJ Snow White - This is probably my oldest guitar and it's definitely seen some shit. I had the EMG81 swapped out for a BKP Painkiller, which sounded pretty damned good. This guitar though, unfortunately, was the first to reveal to me that I gripped way too hard and I absolutely tore through the Nickel frets within the span of a year or two. There were noticeable grooves worn into the upper frets from playing leads and whatnot. I eventually had it re-fretted by a co-worker at guitar center (who sat on it for almost 2 years before actually doing it) who said he could do it. He also routed in a space for the Cold-Sweat neck pickup. He did a pretty shoddy job on the frets and some of them stick out a bit on the bottom of the neck in some places. All in all, I should have taken this guitar to someone more professional and never added a neck pickup to it. I'd like to have this guitar worked on by someone and get it to a point that it's playable again because I really love it, but I just haven't yet.

Strandberg Boden NT Fusion - This guitar is one of my main go-to's now days. I keep it in standard and it probably sees the most of my practices lately. The neck feels amazing, and it just in general plays pretty well. The only gripe I have with it is the pickups sound a bit too round/bouncy for my taste. They're some Suhr pickups of some sort, which I know people absolutely adore, but I don't care for them on this. I'd like to find a replacement for the 3 of them that are pretty balanced together. I do actually like the single coil sound on it quite a bit (very snappy and percussive), but I need the actual humbuckers to articulate better before I can really say I love this guitar as much as the others.

Last edited:

MFB

Banned
Reaction score
Not gonna lie, the Edwards V gets me the most, and that Gold RR isn't one to scoff at either. I wish I could get last the pinstrap location on them, but they just don't sit right on me.

works0fheart

Tike Myson
Reaction score
Sorry about the confusion guys. I'll dump the pics here. Imgur always gets a little funky. Here's the guitar itself. Next post will be the other stuff

seQyeuV.jpeg KgjnL5E.jpeg ikRsiJi.jpeg ErDvv95.jpeg 5afixXS.jpeg 1al1rov.jpeg

works0fheart

Tike Myson
Reaction score
Last one. I'm sorry for all of the posts. Getting a proper gallery onto here is a pain in the ass sometimes. For everyone that needed more pics though, I give you significantly more pics.

l5kD1UE.jpeg m4Ham8j.jpeg MjT2ULq.jpeg N6kdjCG.jpeg NT2UKjU.jpeg p80FV6L.jpeg pZvmy5J.jpeg TLTJC2I.jpeg U6sfkUS.jpeg uE40Ttv.jpeg

/wrists

enthusiast
Reaction score
nice guitars - i have that black sawtooth - do you play all of them equally?

i have a difficult time playing 4 guitars equally lol

also

damn almost $2k for a Korean jackson...now.

works0fheart

Tike Myson
Reaction score
nice guitars - i have that black sawtooth - do you play all of them equally?

i have a difficult time playing 4 guitars equally lol

also

damn almost $2k for a Korean jackson...now.

I do not really play them all equally at the moment. I play the Soloist, Boden, LTD, and RR24MG quite a bit currently. Each of these are in different tunings so it depends on what I'm in the mood for really.

:edit: unrelated, but man this new site layout feels a bit off to me.