NGD: Jackson 8 String Multiscale Slat 8 FF (2016)

Discussion in 'Extended Range Guitars' started by 777timesgod, Jan 10, 2020.

1. 777timesgod

777timesgod Officially the unofficial Forum Censor

I was flirting with buying a 7 string for some time and maybe a multiscale. After rejecting many 7 strings in the used market (did not want to pay what they are asking for the new ones as I am not active with a band or recording) I found a used 8 string multiscale on Reverb and said what the hell. It arrived in record time and I played it twice so far due to work and responsibilities.
    Tuning it came with was F#, B, E, A, D, G, B, E but I want to detune at least to C#. If you have suggestions for other tunings let me know. I play songs from all tunings, from standard to sludge. The shop gauge it came with was 10, 13 , 17, 30, 42, 54, 64, 74. Since I plan to go 1 1/2 semitones down what gauge do you guys suggest for a multiscale? This is both my first 8 string / multiscale owned so any advice is appreciated.
    Specs:
    Jackson Soloist Archtop Slat 8 FF 8 string Multi Scale guitar, from 2016, in Black High Gloss, Made in Indonesia, with a Basswood body, 26 ″ -28 ″ scale, 1P Maple Neck-Thru with graphite reinforcement, Rosewood (Pre Convention Stock) Dalbergia Latifolia) fretboard, with neck and headstock binding, 24 Jumbo Frets, Monorail Saddle Bridge, String-Thru-Body, 2 x EMG 909 X Humbucker pickup

Pictures are the shop's ones, since they are clear and I don't have time but I added 1-2 of my own.
    hitpjczacdsq6qmyip8h.jpg
    ijba1aylxpeoz5bfr0ue.jpg IMG_20200109_231556.jpg lqtxxa9g4bvyesb2nivt.jpg mix6ovmfukovb4clnm2a.jpg IMG_20200109_231638.jpg njlgmb4dqdiptiu1z1jt.jpg

Impression so far: The guitar feels heavy but manageable, for its price it has good craftmanship and I spotted nothing to seriously complain about. Definitely good value for money, the bridge and tuners may be switched in the future but I will be waiting for them to show wear or a problem first. The EMG 909 are the X version (perhaps the signature model of Rapper DMX?), I know that some hate them but they are decent, especially for the Jackson X series level. Apparently now they have the plain 909 in the new models. I feel that the X version of the EMGs improves on some aspects of the standard model and misses on some others. There are discussions in other threads on this of course. The neck is thin and fast, like the standard soloist, the 8 string version gives an odd impression though, not a bad one of course. Regarding the multiscale part, the frets are really slanted for the higher (near the head stock) frets and this gives me some trouble during playing on the thinner strings there. I am adjusting very fast to the guitar though and playing is enjoyable if not challenging. The frets go straight very fast as we go lower and the lower frets bring the slant back nicely so the solos (which was the reason I aimed for a multiscale) do not give me problems at all. Some may find the 26-28 scale uncomfortable though so keep that in mind before buying one as the distances are a constant challenge. The guitar looks sleek even if some of its parts are not of the premium line. I would recommend it in other words.

This is what I have so far, I will post more opinions as I study it more. the guitar was marked as used but it seems like a B-stock or a return from someone who did not adapt well. It came with a hideous used Stagg bag (from the shop as a gift, no thanks!) which does not even fit the guitar properly, on the hunt for a case or bag right now.

Attached Files:

2. Winspear

Winspear Tom Winspear

You said C# but 1.5 semitones so I guess you mean C# on the E string , so low D# right? For your info people generally discuss tunings by the bottom string. So it would be 8 string D#/Eb standard

The set that came with is a really bad design - regular trebles, super tight EAD, regular B, and loose low F#. Very strange. Check out the 9-80 sets from D'addario and Ernie ball in general for standard tuning - this is a MUCH better balance. Just thought I'd put that out there before talking about tuning down.

As you are in Europe, I'd recommend my 10.5-90 set as a start and see what you think from there. It is quite similar to a typical 52-11 set on the 6 string portion, so if that sounds good to you for 6 string C# you should like it.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2020
    777timesgod likes this.
  3. Winspear

Winspear Tom Winspear

Regarding the treble strings at the nut - do you play in classical position?
    It is advisable for wrist health and general comfort anyway - especially on such a wide neck. It's not an extreme fan so you should find when in classical position the nut is basically vertical and your finger does not contact it on the treble strings.

777timesgod likes this.
  4. mlp187

mlp187 Burrito Master Contributor

Congrats, these are fantastic guitars, period. They play well, they sound good, and they look good. Enjoy and play the hell out of it.

777timesgod likes this.
  5. 777timesgod

777timesgod Officially the unofficial Forum Censor

I began playing years ago in classical and due to using Vs I go back and forth with the position so I am not a stranger to it. I immediately began with this position as like you said it would be hell for the wrist. I never practised so many days on an 8 string non-stop before and I can see the pressure. nothing I cannot handle for now but when I play a 6 string I seem lighter and with better attack which is a good by-product.

Thanks for the advice on the strings, I agree that the current set is lacking like you pointed out. I will experiment and see what I can go through locally but I could order online and get a proper set if I do not find something to my liking. The treble strings are already getting black, couldn't the shop put fresh strings in? :facepalm: I usually go for 11s on C# but I will see if there is local stock for 10.5, the post takes forever to get to the island and a quick change may be needed.

They are great overall, thank you. I have been blasting on it and it is an easy player for being an 8 and a FF.:hbang:

I have a few observations after a weekend of playing it. The neck was straightened and the saddles (which were at their lowest point for some reason when received) moved to a normal low point and the action is enjoyable. Buzz is really minimal now after its setup and normal for such low action, with a Yamaha THR10 practise amp you can barely hear it on lower volumes, increase it a bit and its gone entirely. However, the frets could have been placed in a better way, after placing a string ruler on them some of them are a bit off. Nothing distinguishable but if you have OCD (I don't fortunately) you would be thinking about it all the time. The binding near the neck pickup side has a tiny crack which shows a bit of lift up for that fret. It was made in Indonesia so no big complains on quality control being terrible but they are no pros to miss this. Alternatively it could have been caused by the shift in temperature which is still on them for not anticipating it.
    The bridge is difficult to intonate but manageable. The springs are weak from my estimate and a slight touch of the screwdriver shifts the pitch too much. Not something to do during the drum solo live backstage. I like the Kahler like lift mechanism for the height of each string. Super convenient for a quick adjustment.

6. Estilo

Estilo SS.org Regular

Bump. Multiscales sometimes use soapbar-type pickups meant for guitars with 1 more string, is this absolutely necessary? The 909 in question looks like it still has excess space well of the range of the strings even while slanted.

7. BTBmusicman

BTBmusicman SS.org Regular