NGD - it's black and it's only got one pickup

Discussion in 'Standard Guitars' started by Alex79, Jul 19, 2021.

1. Alex79

Alex79 SS.org Regular

This is the first NGD for me in over 10 years!

For a long time I had wanted another guitar for different tunings, because I enjoy playing along to original song recordings and that usually requires exactly the same tuning as on the recording. I also wanted something that would give excellent tuning stability. I know there are Evertune guitars around now, but I kind of felt that I would rather get something with a 25.5" scale neck and a Floyd Rose. I had set my mind on either a the LTD Black Metal superstrat or the Jackson Brandon Ellis. Somehow I really disliked the fact that both are made in China and cost around 1000€ - more than I wanted to spend. In addition, it seems that you cannot get a guitar with a Floyd Rose Original for that price range. All the guitars use the Floyd Rose SE, which I've read mixed things about in terms of durability. I would have gone with the FR SE, but the made in China just really bugged me somehow...

Then the opportunity arose locally really close to where I live to buy an Ibanez J Craft RG, made in Japan, with a gorgeous finish and white binding. When the seller told me that it only weighted 3.2 kg, I knew I had to get it. I got this for less than the LTD or Jackson would have cost me new and I am really happy with it.

I think it is a 2610Z model and the serial number starts with F08, so that would mean it is a 2008 model. The seller had changed the witch hat know for a metal one (I have the original one). Other than that it is all original. I have no idea why it is in basically new condition. I had feared that maybe it was a lemon or something was wrong with it, but on the contrary, I am mightily impressed. This plays and sounds insanely good.
    I really like the Seymour Duncan pickup in this guitar as well.

I also love the inlays - subtle but there - and the binding, with the very small dots. The Edge tremolo is great as well. It took me over an hour to set it up and I had to look up some Youtube videos as I had not come across the Zero Stop system, but the action on the trem is really good even for my ham-fisted approach.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. High Plains Drifter

High Plains Drifter ... drifting...

I seriously gasped a bit. Damn dude, Congrats big time!

Alex79 and BMFan30 like this.
  3. thebeesknees22

thebeesknees22 SS.org Regular

Looks great dude!

Nice one!

4. IbanezDaemon

IbanezDaemon Raptus regaliter

...and it's UBER COOL! What a great score. A totally killer RG! (You are correct on the model btw)

5. Dumple Stilzkin

Dumple Stilzkin SS.org Regular

That’s awesome, I love single pickup guitars. They are the epitome of badass.

6. BMFan30

BMFan30 SS.org Regular

Happy new guitar day! Great choice, congratulations dude!

Alex79 likes this.
  7. mmr007

mmr007 SS.org Regular

[​IMG]

I love the RG2610 and 2620...a guitar I didn't even know existed until I discovered Avatar. Easily my favorite Ibanez (particularly the 2610 and its aesthetic simplicity) and a nice score for you I'm sure. Congrats.

8. Ordacleaphobia

Ordacleaphobia Shameless Contrarian

HNGD, these things were major workhorses.
    Sounds like you got a good deal!

Alex79 likes this.
  9. Zhysick

Zhysick SS.org Regular

I have always liked the aesthetics of that Ibanez and once I was really close of buying one BUT I remembered that I don't like Wizard necks.

On the other hand, I am pretty sure that LTD Black Metal guitars are made in Indonesia or South Korea, not China... something I don't care, but seems you do.

In any case: HNGD! Looks great!!

10. Alex79

Alex79 SS.org Regular

It's thin but wide, I find it more comfortable than the ESP neck on my Eclipse, which is a ittle bit thicker, but more narrow.

I thought all the LTD Black Metal guitars were made in China. I'm pretty sure they are not made in South Korea, though, I think all LTDs are now made in Indonesia and China.
    The point of origin doesn't bother me as much as the price tag associated for a MIC product. For me, guitars are bit more than just an interchangeable gadget like a phone or computer, as at least some manual labour goes into it. I like to think that they were made by worker who saw their job with pride and a bit as a labour of love... I'm probably completely wrong there
    and just weird about it! My amp and my cables are made in Germany. My guitars are made in the US, Japan and one in Korea. Even most of my guitar pedals - Earthquaker Devices, Dunlop, MXR - are US-made (I think). Even the Celestion in my cab was still made in the UK. :)

The Floyd Rose SE though is a bit of a slap in the face though. This is probably pure product differentiation (to make higher end instruments more appealing) rather than actual material costs. Companies probably figure that a good percentage of people will eventually upgrade the units, thus increasing sale of refit units.

11. budda

budda Do not criticize as this Contributor

That looks great :yesway:

12. xzyryabx

xzyryabx SS.org Regular

That's hot, congrats!