NGD/Initial review: Axe Palace 2019 Limited Edition RG2027XLS

Discussion in 'Sevenstring Guitars' started by soldierkahn, Sep 28, 2019.

1. soldierkahn

soldierkahn BAD MAMMA-JAMMA Contributor

Completed my initial review of the 2027XLS after a solid 8 hour session, and wanted to send it over in case it can help others:

As promised, after a solid 8 hour jam session last night, I have come back to review the RG2027XLS and compare it to the iconic RG1077XL.This is the first of two reviews that ill do for it, the second being the post-30days review. Gives an opportunity for the "newlywed" feelings to dissipate and really nail down the review. I did the same thing with the DCM earlier this year, but lost the review when i left the other RG group.

***Soncially, I havent been able to review it in the same tuning as the classic, since it came to me in B standard instead of A standard (no biggie)***

Feel - 4/5 -
    i gave it a 4 out of 5 because the neck is a TINY bit wider than the classic 1077XL and more D shaped than C shaped, which might turn some folks off. I personally still did not feel any fatigue after about hour 6, so they didnt make the necks TOO thin (for example the RG3120. Cherished by most Ibanez enthusiasts, but was also noted for having such an incredibly thin neck front to back down in frets 1-5, which stopped me from playing it for very long). But the classic XL does win this fight in my opinion, but not by much. This is a personal evaluation though, so im sure there are folks who enjoy both necks equally, the classic just filled my hand perfectly.

Sonics - 5/5 -
    hands down, the sonics of both models was amazing. I didnt go too deep in this side of the review because sound is so subjective. The classic XL had Fishman Fluence Moderns in it, and that was a KILLER combination, but I have to really tip my hat to Lundgren. I dont know how they did it, but the voicing of the Lundgren Black Heaven 7 pickups were IDENTICAL to their 6 strring counterparts. At first i couldnt believe it, until i grabbed my RGD and my 970XL and started A/B ing them. Lundgren managed (in a passive pickup noless) to accomplish the task of mirroring the 6 version to the 7 version (or vice versa, either way, they sound as identical as can be). This blew my mind because now I dont have to change my eq swing between guitars lol, literaly unplug one and then plug in the other lol. The only thing that the Fishman Fluences did better than the Lundgrens was the silence between notes. The Fishmans are much quieter than any other pickups ive tried.

I would HIGHLY reccommend the Fishmans if you are an active player and are used to active 7 pickups, and Id recommend the Lundgrens if you prefer a passive feel. The clarity in both models was phenominal!

MISC - X/X -
    here is some miscellaneous information I wanted to share about the 2027XLS. When I received the RGA6UCS earlier this year, i had my first experience with stainless steel frets. In the RGA, they created a MASSIVE spike in treble in the tone that i had to compensate for. But with the XLS, the treble seems perfectly balanced. The additional treble actually HELPED with clarity tremendously (as if Lundgrens need help with that lol) but it never became shrill. I dont know how to react with the Neck pickup because i dont use them much, but when i switch over to it the cleans sound so full yet bright.

this is all that i could think of for now, and to be honest, i want to get back to playing it lol. I will be sure and come back for the FULL review in about 30days.

20190927_155758.jpg 20190927_155808.jpg 20190927_155813.jpg 20190927_155827.jpg 20190927_155832.jpg 20190927_155847.jpg 20190927_155852.jpg

Attached Files:

Koloss85, Velokki, nikt and 18 others like this.
  2. odibrom

odibrom .

... perto de onde a terra acaba e o mar come├ža...
    Nice, it sure is beautiful. May it serves you well for years to come.

3. soldierkahn

its sure built solid enough! I would have liked the KTS titanium rods like they had done in the RGD's considering how much thinner the neck was made, but the neck really feels solid enough without them. If i had one gripe, its only cosmetic anyways, it would be that I wished the satin silver finish was darker (think Grey Nickel or Blade Grey from the K7).... with it having the bright white binding, its more pleasing to my eyes to have more contrast. If I do end up keeping her, I have a feeling she's gonna get refinished

4. bzhang9

bzhang9 SS.org Regular

Not sure why newer Ibanez 7s seem to have this weird D profile, almost makes it feel fat despite being thin.

5. soldierkahn

while Im not the biggest fan of the profile on the XLS, its heads and tails above what a terrible "D" shape feels like to me. The one ill say had the most painful neck was the RG7321. That wizard II-7 profile was so painful to play after about 30minutes. This profile is a perfect marriage between the two. Ill be able to give you a more in depth review on the neck carve after ive had my 30days to burn it in. I would be a horrible person if i just took my initial reaction and called it good. I didnt even begin to find any flaws until after my 8 hour session lol. Hell, i didnt even notice that I didnt get the Luminlays until i was putting her back in her case this morning lol.

6. Vyn

Vyn Not a Sparkly Vampire

I'm used to the new Ibanez D profile now. It's definitely one that I think suits players with larger hands more easily than shorter ones.

HNGD! I'm currently waiting to see if any of these get returned to @zimbloth to jump on one haha

soldierkahn likes this.
  7. soldierkahn

I could agree with that, its definitely a lot better for players with larger hands or longer fingers than me lol. Im trying to keep myself as objective as possible, but after the 2 months i spent playing nothing but the 1077XL building up to this moment, currently the original 1077XL neck is much more comfortable to me. I had the same reservations when the DCM100 first got here, within the first week i was bitching about the profile of the neck. It wasnt until i shut my mouth and just sat down playing the tar out of the DCM that the neck grew on me.

Im hoping the same thing will happen with the XLS neck carve, but for once Im not afraid of not liking it. I have two other 7 strings that have been verified perfect in my hands (1077XL, DCM100) and do not think that I would have a very hard time trying to either do a straight trade for a DCM100/mint 1077XL. I hate the idea of selling it and then waiting and waiting and waiting for a DCM to pop up, leaving me without a 7 lol. So dont think that getting an XLS is a pipe dream, because theres a good chance mine will be up for grabs after the 30day review.

Vyn likes this.
  8. Geetarguy

Geetarguy 27inchScale Contributor

Thanks for the review and pics. Great job and congrats on the new Axe!

soldierkahn likes this.
  9. Ron Head

Ron Head keep calm raise hell

The extra treble in the RGA6UCS is most likely created by it's mahogany body with a maple top , where the RG2027XLS has a basswood body ; mahogany has a bigger density / is much harder compaired to basswood . Personally I prefer basswood for beeing 'darker' in tone , and Lundgrens will definatly lift some treble for the better .
    I left my order with the stock pick-ups , because I'm very interested how these Fusion Edge pickups sound ; beeing able to A/B/C -ing M7s , Blazes and these Fusion Edges in 27" sevens was another reason for keeping it stock .

soldierkahn and Vyn like this.
  10. Vyn

Vyn Not a Sparkly Vampire

Will keep that in mind! Worst case scenario I know where there's another standard 2027XL around my area :)

soldierkahn likes this.
  11. AkiraSpectrum

AkiraSpectrum SS.org Regular

Looks awesome!

Hope it's just as awesome in 30 days from now!

soldierkahn likes this.
  12. soldierkahn

The Axe Palace tech that set mine up didnt know that I wanted my Fusion Edges that came with it too so they werent with the XLS when it got here. But it was super easy to let Nick know that I wanted them in case i sell or trade it, i want to keep the Black Heaven pickups. So Nick's gonna send em out next week for me, and I thought that was awesome! I went with Black Heavens as opposed to the M7 due to all the reviews i could find on the M7 mixed with some experienced users of it making recommendations. The M7 was said to be very dry and compressed, with limited versatility with other music styles, and I needed something with a little more diversity. After another long night of playing the XLS, Im starting to really warm over about basswood in 7s altogether.

With the combination of the SS frets/Ebony board/and bolt-on maple neck, the resulting natural tone seems to be nearly identical to a basswood body with a maple cap (from what ive read, thats supposed to be the be all end all greatest wood combo for 7s.). Im hearing notes and overtones that weren't coming from my Rg1077XL with Fishman Fluences, and I spent so many hours trying to get that EQ just right. Its the reason I didnt go with Fishmans in the XLS, because when I had them in my 1077XL, the Fluences were accentuating alot of the highs and high mids without balancing in some lows. I was not able to get the 10877XL EQ'd just right in B standard because of all the brightness i had to compete with, but when I took it down to A standard.... thats when it REALLY sang.

So i was really blown away last night. I cant narrow it down to one spec or the other, but with the combination of everything put together, im now able to hear every single note in a chord, even the most dissonate ones. The string gauge is still a bit light for me in B, so I know there will be some changes when i put MY gauges on it, but it should only help bring in some more low end. These Black Heavens though, I just cant put my finger on it, there is just something in the voicing of these pickups that Im almost certain they were created with basswood in mind lol. Every note i play goes straight to the front of the sound, but somehow doesnt hog the light. How do you describe something that stands out perfectly but doesnt overtake the whole sound?

Now, Im not saying that Im done with my desire for a Mahogany bodied, 26.5" or 27" scale baritone with a LoPro, but I am saying that I now understand that i dont NEED it to achieve the tone Im chasing. The tone coming from my XLS is what I LOVE to hear, and its perfectly balanced. So far, Im head over heels with how the XLS sounds...... but so far the 1077XL neck is more comfortable in my hands. 28 more days to go before i finalize my decision. What seems crazy to me is that the DCM100 felt much more comfortable neck wise than this one, but as far as I can tell they are supposed to be the same profile as the DCM, just a half inch longer. Maybe it was the DCM/RGD body's bevels that brought the extra comfort but i cant be for certain. i took a gamble on the XLS because it was a new neck shape, longer scale, fixed all the issues i didnt like with the 1077, and was a limited edition RG7 that i only had a small window of opportunity to grab (DCMs are still selling all over the place). I tried desperately to also get the DY RGDR7 axe palace had going too because minus a trem, it was my custom dream lol, but i just couldnt work out the financials in time lol.

I know AP has 2 more RGD runs that are coming down the pipe soon, so if im lucky, they might do a very similar run to the RGDR7, this time with a tremolo for the people who dont like the hardtail one. If not though, still not broken hearted. Just means ill be chasing a DCM100 down hahaha