NGD(in about 10 hours) + Pickup question

BlindingLight7

Needs moar Gear.....
Reaction score
I have been blessed with job that's given me the ability to purchase one of my most sought after item's, An 8 string.:yesway:

I ended up deciding on an 8 string, drove out to sweetwater sound to play one and it was phenomenal besides the pickups of course. but due to some complications I had to order it from American Musical Supply. :yesway:

Now, the obvious question. What pickups? I'm looking for good meshuggah-like tone but also something responsive and tight. do lundgren's fit into the emg routes?

Rook

Electrifying
Reaction score
Like he^ said, it'd help if we knew what the guitar was.

Though either way, the DiMarzio D-Activator is a good start if its routed for passives, or the EMG 808/X if it's active routed.

We say it helps to know what you're getting and what you like and everything, but there really isn't much choice with 8-string pups unless you go BKP :lol:

BlindingLight7

Needs moar Gear.....
Reaction score
It is in my town now, just a few more minutes!

I'm still debating. I will most likely do a bunch of meshuggah and finger tapping things , so I guess a lundgren?

Whats cheapest?

celticelk

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
If the OP has ordered from American Musical, then it's routed for actives - all major-manufacturer 8s come with active-sized pickups. So the choices are:

-replace with actives (swap EMGs for Blackouts or vice versa)
-replace with an active-sized passive (the new Lace pickups)
-replace with a "traditional" passive pickup (BKP, D-Activator) and modify as needed (fretsonthenet rings, etc.)

OP, knowing what you're planning to play on this guitar would help us in making suggestions.

(And: 500th post!)

BlindingLight7

Needs moar Gear.....
Reaction score
Damn it how could I be so vague, RGA8, just got it and it's a piece of shit currently.

anyway, playing meshuggah, aal, stuff like that. I really want whatever is the most rounded for metal.

Rook

Electrifying
Reaction score
I'd go 808X for a simple replacement. It's a great pickup whichever way you wanna look at it.

sell2792

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
For actives, I'd say go with some sexy white EMG 808X's. If not, the DActivators are probably the best option if you decide to go with passives.

JaeSwift

Of Blood and Sawdust
Reaction score
808x it is, now how do I fix the horrendous fret buzz?

Your guitar is buzzing because the string gauge is waaaay too light. Replace the strings and get atleast a 0.74 for the F#, though I recommend going to 0.80 if you like tighter feeling strings.

avenger

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I have EMG's in my RGA8 and they are pretty good. To be honest for some reason teh bridge pickup sounds better for everything though.

?

BlindingLight7

Needs moar Gear.....
Reaction score
Fixed it, the neck had almost no relief. adjusted the action too. It is playable now, but the pickups still a changin' aswell as string gauge.

veggie7sXe

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
the cheapest would be passive agile pickups from rondomusic. i think theyre like 80 bucks for a set but i have no idea about how they sound. But I wouldnt recommend just getting what ever is cheap because what you get might be worse than what you started out with. i say either 808s or Blackouts. Theres also Bare Knuckle but theyre passive and rather expensive.

craigny

Winning...duh
Reaction score
I just got my RGA8 this week and I already ordered 808X's for it...ill be putting heavier strings on too...love how it plays and feels though ....with a pickup swap this guitar will own