NGD (Ibanez UV70P) and not a happy one...

Discussion in 'Sevenstring Guitars' started by Runander, Feb 23, 2020.

1. Runander

Runander SS.org Regular

Alright, so I was looking for a new seven string with a tremolo to kind of get more into playing som Dream Theater stuff. I already have an Ibanez prestige S5470 so i'm used to the whole locking thing. I once owned a Sterling by Music Man JP70 which played good but the bridge wasn't the greatest. Eventually, after reading a lot of reviews, it boiled down to two choices which was the Ibanez prestige RG2027XL which is 27" and the UV70P.

I'm not a stranger to longer scales, I have a Schecter seven string that's 26,5" but I felt that I wanted a shorter one since I'm not gonna tune anything other than standard so I went with the UV70P.

This thing is gorgeous and the neck feels absolutely fantastic! I was a bit worried about the fretwork since that's something that people have had bad experience with, but it was really smooth and I compare it to my prestige. I really liked the Dimarzio Blaze pickups as well.

But that's about it, that's where the positive aspects ends. After I put some new strings on it and started to really play it, everything turned into a nightmare. The guitar simply cannot stay in tune! As I mentioned earlier, I'm used to the whole locking system and I set it up as usual.

When I just play a few songs the guitar starts to get slightly out of tune. Should I want to bend the B string, say at the 3d fret it gets out of tune (with a whole step). Should i use the tremolo a little the guitar gets out of tune. Should I use the tremolo a lot, almost like a dive bomb, then the guitar gets hopelessly out of tune. The neck even makes crack sounds when using the tremolo.

People have been talking about getting lemons every now and then when buying Ibanez Premium. This is one, or, I don't know if I should call i that, the damn thing is defect. Tuning stability is the whole selling point of a locking tremolo system and this one can't even hold it's tune after some regular riffing. My prestige I restring, tune and lock it down and it never, I mean never ever gets out of tune.

Suffice it to say that I will return it. But, I still want a new seven string with a tremolo and I'm not getting a new UV70P hoping that the next one will be better, no way. Perhaps the RG2027XL then...

Ibanez 1.jpg Ibanez 3.jpg

Obsidian Soul, Adieu, sirbuh and 2 others like this.
  2. beerandbeards

beerandbeards Majestic Shoveler

Bummer but I’m sure you’ll find a guitar that fits your needs.

3. mlp187

mlp187 Burrito Master Contributor

I would check the following things:
    (1) make sure the neck bolts are tight
    (2) make sure the base of the nut is secured firmly
    (3) make sure your trem posts are secured

Or if you're really set on returning it just do that

Nlelith, c7spheres, Leviathus and 3 others like this.
  4. BdaGolfer

BdaGolfer SS.org Regular

When I got my UV71P either the bridge or the neck was crooked, didn't wait to find out, got a replacement. Nice guitars when they are put together well.

5. aesthyrian

aesthyrian SS.org Regular

Just wanna say that I love the grain on that fretboard!

c7spheres likes this.
  6. Shawn

Shawn Ibanez Guitars Forum MVP

I’ve never played one of these and I’ve been wanting to get one of these. I own a uv7bk and I love it and from I’ve heard and seen that these don’t live up to the older UVs. On the other hand, I have seen people that really love them. I hope there is way you can fix the issues and that it’ll play well for you. I still wouldn’t mind owning one.

7. Adieu

Adieu SS.org Regular

Maybe THAT'S why?

Quartersawn (straight parallel grain lines) crap is stable, flat sawn (squigglies) ain't?

8. AndiKravljaca

AndiKravljaca SS.org Regular

I hate that ordering guitars has to be such a crapshoot. There's so many guitars I want to pull the trigger on, which I can't try before buying, but it's stories like this that really keep me from doing it. For what it's worth, I've played my fair share of import Ibanez guitars. While most of them have been fine, I do remember one circa $1K JEM I tried, brand new, where the frets were worse than on a 150 dollar starter guitar.

Why are manufacturers this inconsistent, I wonder. It happens with Jackson, Gibson, Ormsby, practically everyone makes these huge variances in quality control.

9. xzacx

xzacx SS.org Regular

The cut of the fretboard isn't going to impact stability. Sounds a lot more like something isn't tightened down than any problem with the wood.