NGD: Ibanez S570B WH

Discussion in 'Standard Guitars' started by OmegaSlayer, Apr 14, 2016.

1. OmegaSlayer

OmegaSlayer SS.org Regular

[​IMG]

The pic is crap, but the guitar is here and tomorrow I'll buy the batteries so that I can take proper pics with the pro-camera.

EDIT: PICS Added

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

First of all...first NGD since I'm here, I have gone through a lot of hard financial times, and it was a lot since my last guitar purchase, and even this one is not a high tier super blaster axe, but I'm so goddamm happy.

I always dreamt to have an S since I played an FGM100DY of a friend, I kind of sweared that I would have never purchased another S before an FGM100.
    But I realized that for a good time I won't be able to afford one, even if I find one.
    I had been in search for a guitar for a good time.
    First it was a Falchion, because I love the shape, the I had been searching a superstrat or a V with maple fretboard, possibly no inlays and 24 frets.
    Mid tier class, between, 300 and 550 euros, because I had intention to mod it.
    Found some things here and there between LTDs and Jackson (I'm brand agnostic even if I have mostly Ibanez) but nothing really clicked until I saw this S.
    It's in really good shape, except for a little dent on the front input of the jack, but I have intention to address the problem.
    But anyway I was lucky enough that the guitar belonged to a keyboard player that recorded trip-hop stuff and had the occasional need of an open guitar chord, so the frets had little to no wear.
    The other minor issue is the volume pot that is very loose and whenever I go near it with my hand the volume goes down.

The specs, classic mahogany/maple/rosewood Ibanez combo, with ZR bridge with ZPS and Infinity pick ups.
    It came with a Rock-bag hard case, which is good, even if a bit too big for the guitar.

Now, my luck has been that the luthier who set it up for the previous owner swapped the bridge pick-up with a Seymour Duncan, "it should be a JB but I have not good knowledge of pick-ups".
    Then...when I plugged the guitar in I had the certainty it was a JB, as with my poor rig, the guitar sounded like it came out of "Symphony Of Destruction", which means I played Megadeth songs for 2 hours...but the sound is also good for Satriani and other tech stuff as it is very clean and articulate.

The Infinity pick-ups are...one of the worse thing I ever heard in my life, very inferior to any other stock Ibanez pick-up I listened too, so they will have to go.

The guitar is very very comfortable and I'm so happy with the purchase, I have great access to all the 24 frets (I finally can play the Serrana sweep on it, damn you G maj sweep), which for my wide hand is quite rare, the wood resonates great and with full body.
    Basically it's already one of my favouritre guitar, so simple yet so beautiful and with great character, but it needs something to be perfect.

First of all I need to address that little dent, for which I'll buy some black vynil or carbon fiber sheet, made a part to cover that dent plus a pair of GT-Sport like stripes on the back of the bridge.
    Then...the poly finish behind the neck has to go, the neck is fast, but I'd rather have the very little gloss gone for good.

The Infinity pick-ups have to go...soon.
    I so wanted a Perpetual Burn in bridge position for a while, so I think I will stubbornly put that pick-up in bridge position and try the JB on the neck, still don't know what to put in mid position (which I almost never use).
    But yeah, gimme some good suggestions dudes :)
    I think I'll probably put TripleRing system and pick-up covers...but I went to the SD site and didn't see black satined covers, only gold and nickel ones, which I'm not that ford of.

Lastly, pots, the loose one drives me mad, so I think I'll put 500k pots and fry the Heavens :lol:
    And a good shielding of the cavities.

Can't wait to have this white lady fully set and spec like I'm dreaming.
    Very cheap guitar but it will give me lots of happyness.

ferret, Noxon, AkiraSpectrum and 2 others like this.
  2. Jeesan

Jeesan Regular

Hey man! Congratulations. That is one nice S-series. I've always wanted one with that binding. I never knew you of all ppl would be into the S shape. It's just so comfy it almost spoils you.

Hopefully you'll get the white duncans once you get around to it! ... Put up some pics from the side! Let's see that six pack...

3. OmegaSlayer

I like guitars so much I could play a silly extreme shape and a telecaster right next to each other.
    I have more problems with dot inlays than with body shapes.

I'm sure I'll take good pics, even from the side :cool:

4. awake69

awake69 SS.org Regular

That is a sweet guitar! A local GC had one not long ago, but in red. Those S series Ibbys are incredibly comfortable, but it's so light it just feels odd to me. I think that is the sole reason I've never owned one...which seems like a silly reason.

Nice score!

5. Dawn of the Shred

Dawn of the Shred Scoop the Mids and Chug

Congrats man!

6. OmegaSlayer

Thank you all guys!
    I edited the first post with the MOJO PICS! :D

7. neurosis

neurosis SS.org Regular

Congrats! The S'series is definitely where it´s at. I will buy another one someday for sure. I dearly miss the one I sold. :hbang:

8. OmegaSlayer

Ok, so something wasn't exactly ok with the guitar.
    Namely, the bridge.
    I downloaded the .pdf manual of the ZR+ZPS and I couldn't figure why the stop block wouldn't move the hell out and the backplate on the tremolo cavity seemed to be arched...
    Well, the luthier genius setting up the guitar lowered the bridge into the bottom of hell, so the bridge had no space to tilt downward.
    Once I figured that out I put the bridge in a normal position and now the action is banjo like, so I'll have to put that truss rod into work.

It's extremely sad that some people call themselves luthiers, and are so presumptuous to put their metal badges on a guitar case and stickers on a guitar, when they wouldn't even deserve to milk bulls or collect castoreum.
    That's why my JEM wouldn't probably be refret ever, as I can't manage to trust those individuals.
    And...to put things into perspective, I'm one of the less picky guy you can find about guitars...gimme a guitar set up like a kid's toy, plug it and I'll try to play it anyway, but self-called techs and professional that do their work like crap really annoy me a great deal.

9. ComaPrison

ComaPrison SS.org Regular

If a truss rod adjustment doesn't get the action where you need it...and it shouldn't if you are dealing with banjo string height, then shimming the neck pocket should allow the bridge to be raised while maintaining lower action.

10. OmegaSlayer

Idiot luthier lowered the bridge so much that the bridge manage to wear the sponge layer in the pocket, which is crazy.
    I'll raise the bridge and work on that rod adjustment.
    It's not that big of a deal, again, just upset of people asking here in Italy between € 40,00 and € 70,00 for something they don't do well.
    I'm not a tech wizard, I can't set a guitar in the best possible playability...let's say that I can at 70-75%, maybe 80%...point is that after having worked 13 hours I'm usually not really in the mood of setting a guitar up.

11. Petar Bogdanov

Petar Bogdanov SS.org Regular

I had a similar problem getting the action lower on my guitar. The trem didn't have enough range, with low action. I had to shim the neck with self-adhesive aluminum tape and a utility knife. I ended up doing 10 layers, sounds like you might need around 20. Or make a wooden shim somehow. In any case, 1mm at the bridge end of the pocket corresponds to 5mm at the bridge. If you want to raise the bridge 4mm, you'll need 0.8mm of shim. Cheers.

Attached Files:

12. The omnipotent one

The omnipotent one Casual

Cool stuff, I've always wanted to get my hands on one of the red ones.

13. OmegaSlayer

Yeah, the only ugly one is the crayon azure one.

I partially set the bridge, it works a bit better, still the action is not quite there and tappings are a bit dead.

I also noticed that the damn luthier put a regular SD JB and not a trembucker one...oh well...

14. sami50000

sami50000 SS.org Regular

Congrats. These Indonesian made S series guitars really aren't too bad. I have a 570 myself, just in black. For this sort of price point I guess you have to be willing to invest a bit of effort if you want to make it play and sound great though. Here are some of the things I've done to mine:

-Swap out the pickups. As you said, the stock ones are notoriously bad. You can get them to sound ok when you play with the height but overall they are just not great.

-Sand down the neck. I plan on doing a full oil refinish eventually but for now I just sanded down the original finish with a green scotchbrite pad and some fine steel wool. Much better feel and very smooth to the touch once you play it for a bit.

-Get rid of the ZPS system. I personally don't really see a point in it as it just makes the trem a bit stiffer and that's about it. The bridge stays in tune fine without it and makes it much easier to operate as well. The ZR trem system is actually quite good IMO and it works well and the wheel tension adjustment is fantastic. I don't really know why this sort of trem system isn't more popular tbh. I have a couple of older Ibanez's with the original Edge trem and I don't personally see them to be that much better or more stable than the ZR trem.

-Replace the locking nut. I actually haven't done this yet because I am lazy but the metal that the pads are made out of is really soft and there's noticeable grooves in the metal from where the strings are pressed down. I imagine this will make tuning even more stable.

-Shim the neck. I think this is very paramount to getting it to play better. At least on mine, it is basically impossible to get a uniform action. I shimmed the neck with just a piece of business card, altering the angle of the neck. Now the action is more or less uniform on the 1st fret, 12th fret and 24th fret. I don't know how others set up their guitars but I personally enjoy this feel and I can comfortably get a nice "medium-low" action without any fretting out issues. This basically changed my guitar from okay to decent.

As far as pickups go, currently I have the JB and 59 combo in it. Not necessarily optimal but works quite well. Had some Dimarzios there (Tonezone and Air Norton, Crunch Lab and Liquifire) and both were alright but nothing truly amazing. Also had a Cold Sweat in the bridge for a while which sounds great and tight for metal, in particular rhythms, but it is currently swapped out into a much better guitar (Les Paul). Working with the pickups and soldering them in is an absolute bitch as the control cavity is really full of stuff and a lot of wires, so good luck with that haha. I've had this guitar since about 2012 and it's basically a low-risk relatively inexpensive guitar to try stuff out on and tinker with, which is why I've done so much with it.

Anyway hope some of this stuff helps you out man.

15. OmegaSlayer

Thanks for all the great inputs.
    Can I ask you a big favour?
    Can you send me pics showing the heighth of your bridge and the cavity cover?
    I'm trying to set it up but I really can't get it.
    If I put the bridge as low as the pic I see on the net, the trem bar won't have space to raise, only to dive and the trem block will literally push on the cavity cover.
    And yes, I removed the ZPS to set it up.
    When I got the guitar the bridge was low and the action good, but again, the trem didn't move at all and the cavity cover was pushed very much.
    So I tried to raise the bridge, and got a banjo like action.
    It has been 3 days since I have been messing and can't get my head around that.
    Thanks

16. Petar Bogdanov

Petar Bogdanov SS.org Regular

Both Sami and I told you to shim the neck, dude. If the neck gets more angle, and bridge height stays constant, you will get lower action.

Leave it with the banjo action, get a piece of veneer, or a loyalty card, and unbolt that neck.

17. OmegaSlayer

I'll fiddle another bit, then if it doesn't work, I'll shim it and take the chance to remove the gloss from the neck.