NGD Ibanez RG7621 MIJ 1998 (pic heavy: 56k = meltdown, WiFi = wait a while)

Discussion in 'Sevenstring Guitars' started by goldenaxe, Jan 26, 2014.

1. goldenaxe

goldenaxe SS.org Regular

Hi SevenString, this is my first NGD, first 7 string, and first "proper" guitar (of course I started with a strat knockoff like everyone else, then got a Gear4Music guitar :metal: )

If you can't be bothered to read this, basically neck is great, buy one if you can, what's up with the headstock decal?

I'd been looking out for a new guitar for ages, and have gone around lots of guitar shops trying out a few, such as the Ibanez SIR27 and Jackson JS32-7Q. However I know how popular these old MIJ Ibanez 7s are with SS members and they've been recommended to me by everyone I've asked on this forum, so I was lucky enough to pick up a 1998 Ibanez RG7621 off eBay for just over £300 (~$495) and it even came with the original hardcase and tools. I actually received this a few weeks back but only just got the chance to go over to my friend's to take pictures of it with his DSLR, and we were gonna go to the forest near where he lived for some nice outdoor, natural light shots, but of course the weather decided to give us a hailstorm and some lightning and thunder on the side, so you'll have to make do with the indoor shots (I know you're disappointed, you've never seen a black RG before :lol: )

The serial number is F9818xxx (Japanese factory, 1998, February, 8xxx build number) so seems legit to me, and it has the triangular pickup tabs so it's definitely a 7621 and not a 7421 :yesway: .

Even though it's all the way from 1998 it is in brilliant condition, of course there are a few dings but most aren't visible from the front and I'm gonna fill them in with some paint finish stuff, I'll post the results if it works. The neck still has the satin finish on, so it looks to have been very rarely used, and the frets were rusty as hell but not worn down at all which means it must have been left alone in the case for a long time to have ended up in that way (they wouldn't have built up such a layer of rust if they'd been played). It was no worry though as my dad had some magical metal polish stuff and after carefully fixing some masking tape either side of each fret and polishing, they're shiny and good as new! I also used some lemon oil on the fretboard although it didn't look that mucky, but it made a big difference and revealed a lovely dark piece of rosewood (much to my surprise it's retained the darkness even now), in this sense I can definitely see why MIJ guitars are held in such high esteem.

It's 1998 so has the 1 piece maple neck which is fantastic, thin and has a very flat profile. I can't remember what the iron label neck I tried was like so I can't make comparisons, but it's certainly very good. The Ibanez Wiki page claims its 20.5mm - 23mm (1st - 12th) which is rubbish as far as I can tell, it appears to be more like 17mm - 19mm (as on the RG1527). In fact it's about 23mm at 12th including measuring all the way to the top of the 7th string. Besides pure specs all I can say is the neck is slim, really flat (don't buy one if you like Schecter necks :lol: ) and fast as hell. Although most people on this forum will say things along the lines of it fitting like a glove, I'd disagree as it felt strange at first: it's more like a new stiff leather boot you need to mould your foot into. But once you do it is fantastic.

The pickups are good enough for me, and besides I only have a modest setup (Zoom pedal + Peavey practice amp :bowdown: ). Before someone asks whether it can do that thing beginning with D.... Sort of, after mucking about with effects and EQs for ages I can almost get the right tone . The only thing I don't like is these pickups aren't great for chords, they're definitely good enough for the 7th string on its own but once I try to play an extended chord it all goes to mud.

Other than that the only thing of note is that the Ibanez decal on the headstock is funny. Rather than the tick coming down and just cutting through through the side of the I (I mean the sticky out bit, I don't know font terminology) it enters visibly further into the I (about halfway) and exits right out of the middle of the bottom of it. It then continues to enter the n further towards the end of the logo than usual before exiting further away (higher from) the z than is normal and in what seems like a larger arc, this is most obvious because the edge of the tick actually touches the washer on the high e tuning peg (this is easily visible on the picture below) whereas on all other Ibanez headstock's I've seen the tick ends in a very small arc, almost flat, out of the z. I don't know if this is because it's an early 7621 so Ibanez realised the mistake and fixed it later, or some other reason, but I'd be interested to know :scratch: .

Now for pictures! Ones my friend took:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Rest of the album: Ibanez RG7621 - Imgur

And I tried to take some inside with morning light just now (excuse my tryingtobearty pics):

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

No post production aside from rotation.

Thanks for reading and I hope you enjoyed the pics :shred:

Pikka Bird, Konfyouzd, s4tch and 11 others like this.
  2. goldenaxe

goldenaxe SS.org Regular

More pics:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. Manurack

Manurack Nunavut Inuk

I didn't know there was a difference between the 7421 and the 7621!
    Question guys, I know there is a RGD7421, but is there an RGD7621?
    And are 7421/7420s only built in Indonesia where as the 7621/7620s are made in Japan?

4. Alejandro Moreno

Alejandro Moreno I

Nice score!!! That RG looks brand new :agreed: Nice photos too, mostly the case ones. I'm glad you are enjoying it it is the perfect workhorse, it won't let you down.

About the pickups I really like them, I have them on her sister a 7620 BUT they are micrphonic, are yours too? (It was a problem on the first 7620/7621, the didn't "waxpotted" the pickup's) I was about to keep them but the damn squeal drive me nuts :realmad: I'm thinking about putting on it blazes or d-activators both do wonders on basswood! Let me know if you find a way to fill the chips since i want to do the same on mine.

Anyway, Happy New Guitar Day man and enjoy that beauty!!! :shred:

5. Alejandro Moreno

Alejandro Moreno I

The 7621 was the first MIJ 7 string with fixed bridge and there were also 7421's MIJ the main diferences are the bridge and pickups, being the 7621 better quality.

Actually there were a longer scale 7421's being named 7421XL. They are 27" scale and they rock! (I own one)

6. goldenaxe

goldenaxe SS.org Regular

Mine aren't microphonic at all, they're still covered in wax (along with the screws for some reason). I don't think I'd upgrade them even if I could afford it, they're pretty good... although I did liked the PAFs in the S series Iron label :nuts:

7. Manurack

Manurack Nunavut Inuk

The reason I want an RGD model is for the shape, and it has a 26.5" scale. My heavily modded Fender Squier Stagemaster 7 string is tuned to A standard with 10-56 strings and a .65 for the low A. If I try thicker strings on the low end, I'm afraid they won't intonate properly since its just a 25.5" scale. But that 27" scale 7 string sounds tempting!

8. Alejandro Moreno

Alejandro Moreno I

Ohhhh, well i guess it is my bad luck :lol: I liked them too, they sound pretty. The reissued 7620 has p.a.f.s on it too, give them a shot on basswood (i think the IR S models are mahogany)

9. longfalcon

longfalcon SS.org Regular

back in 98 there was no such thing as the RGD model series. also IIRC the 74xx series were made in korea. (this was before Ibanez made stuff in indonesia)

also, OP: i have a 7620, 1998 8xxx build number! small world :hbang:

10. sifi2112

sifi2112 SS.org Regular

I like it but nit enuff pics lol !

11. Daf57

Daf57 5 7s in 4ths

So slick, man!! Big congrats! :)

12. goldenaxe

goldenaxe SS.org Regular

Awesome, they're pretty closely related then, does that mean yours has the strange decal as well? I noticed s4tch has the same odd headstock logo on his 7620 but that's '99: http://www.sevenstring.org/forum/sevenstring-guitars/225998-ngd-red-d-j-vu.html

Sorry, I was having too much fun and got a bit carried away, glad you like it though

13. SlipknotKoRnfan

SlipknotKoRnfan Airline Pilot. Ibanez Afficionado.

Nice! But what strange decal is everyone talking about? I don't notice anything...

14. JoshuaVonFlash

JoshuaVonFlash SSBRO.org regular

15. mr_rainmaker

mr_rainmaker Resident Cherokee

really nice score,need to put a warning,56k no way,wifi wait a while...

16. Chuck

Chuck SS.org Regular

The old 7421's were all made in Japan, not Korea btw. Older 7321's were made in Korea though.

17. longfalcon

longfalcon SS.org Regular

i stand corrected:agreed:

18. 1b4n3z

1b4n3z SS.org Regular

Very nice! Clean and well-kept by the looks of it. I didn't see anything weird concerning the Ibanez logo. My 1998 RG7620 has it exactly the same way.

19. Shawn

Shawn Ibanez Guitars Forum MVP

Nice score! Looks legit and looks to be in great condition. Congrats! Great pics too!

20. goldenaxe

goldenaxe SS.org Regular

Yeah I think they must have slightly modified it at some point, I've found lots more 7620s with the same decal now.

Thanks :) it's great, I'll post pics of the filled in dents soon too