NGD: Ibanez RG7421XL with some quick mods

Discussion in 'Sevenstring Guitars' started by simonXsludge, Dec 15, 2018.

1. simonXsludge

simonXsludge (((Ω)))

Loooong time no see...

I've mostly been playing Kiesels for the last couple of years, but as an owner of a RG2077XL and lover of the XL series in general, I couldn't pass up to finally snatch one of those RG7421XLs when the opportunity presented itself locally.

A business partner of mine had bought this one for his studio recently. He asked me for advice before he pulled the trigger and I promised him I would buy it from him down the line... and turns out he was ready to let go of a couple of guitars, including this one, rather quickly.

He brought this one over and despite the slightly rough shape, it played and sounded amazing. So I didn't hesitate to trade some gear with him and throw $150 in cash on top to make it all mine! And I do not regret it, that's for sure.

I immediately ordered a Hipshot Ibby FP 7-string bridge and still had a Guitarmory Polaris set laying around. So I took it to a local tech, had it put together as well as set up to drop G and here we are:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The bridge really makes a difference compared to the subpar stock unit - it brightened up the tone of the guitar significantly and also gave it a little more punch. It is a lot more loud and brilliant sounding acoustically than before as well.

The Guitarmory Polaris set sounds great, but looks a little random in the RG7421XL. If it was matching the rosewood, it would probably come together more coherently, but I will say that the wooden bobbins looks surprisingly great against the silver finish.

Now I'm a single pickup guy through and through, so I'm debating to throw a pickguard on it to cover up the neck PU route, PU selector switch and vol knob position, so I can move it to the tone position.

The finish on this guitar is pretty dinged up, though. So I am debating to go the extra mile and have the whole thing professionally refinished next year. I could have all the cavities filled with wood beforehand and make it something truly unique.

But for now, I'm just stoked to play the hell out of it. It has definitely reignited my love for my Ibbys. Not that it ever went away, but I do find myself playing them more again, also thanks to this RG7421XL.

josh1, Shawn, Zhysick and 35 others like this.
  2. Obsidian Soul

Obsidian Soul SS.org Regular

Nonmatching headstocks mess with my OCD really hard.I can't buy a guitar without a matching headstock.Also,how much does it usually cost to refinish a guitar?I'm thinking about giving a guitar a complete makeover and sharing the pr0n.

Wildebeest and Passtheapathy like this.
  3. possumkiller

possumkiller Square Dance Caller

Throw a black single hum pickguard on it and call it a day. The great thing about dinged up guitars is not worrying about dinging them up.

mlp187 likes this.
  4. iliketofish

iliketofish SS.org Regular

Nice man, I actually like the combo of the finish and the wood look pickups. Is it a late 90's MIJ or the newer model?

aesthyrian likes this.
  5. I play music

I play music SS.org Regular

I wouldn't put a pickguard on it, I love how the guitar looks now, even the pickups. I'd love if Ibanez would reissue the XL line...

Obsidian Soul, aesthyrian and Mullet like this.
  6. AkiraSpectrum

AkiraSpectrum SS.org Regular

Loving it!

simonXsludge likes this.
  7. simonXsludge

simonXsludge (((Ω)))

The non-matching headstock doesn't bother me that much, but ebonizing the fretboard would tie it together a bit better. As for the cost of a refinish, I'd be looking at around $300 locally.

That is definitely the easier way and since I already have an RG2077XL with a single hum pickguard, this option is definitely on the table. It would be cool to go all out with a refinish, though.

Late 90s MIJ, like all XLs. Well, there was a random AX6 XL in 2005, which I don't think was MIJ.

Same. I'd just be afraid they'd rerelease them as Iron Labels rather than MIJ/Prestige models.

8. Ron Head

Ron Head keep calm raise hell

Congrats man !!

simonXsludge likes this.
  9. 77zark77

77zark77 SS.org Regular

Congrats man, I love the finish (see my RG7620 NGD)
    Why not ebonizing the bobbin tops too ? :evil:

10. possumkiller

Yeah I really wish they would bring back MiJ RGXL series. In the same cool colors and not some puke fade over barely burled veneer...

11. I play music

I'd like one in Vampire Kiss Red please (even though I think no XL was ever offered in that color) :agreed:

possumkiller likes this.
  12. possumkiller

Actually yeah a reissue of cool 90s-early 00s colours would be cool. Grey Nickel, Cherry Fudge, New Penny, Vampire Kiss, Royal Blue, Vital Silver, etc...

13. Jeff

Jeff Banned from Reality

Killer guitar, but I'm not digging the wood pickups with silver.

14. Siggevaio

Siggevaio SS.org Regular

I think it looks killer with those pickups!

15. BillCosby

BillCosby SS.org Regular

I love mine. I refinished it neon green with matching headstock, though. Never got around to putting an Ibanez decal on, but I'm probably gonna refinish it again now that I have my PRS SVN.

My 7421xl is THE guitar I compare every other guitar I play to. It is perfect for me. And honestly, the SVN is the only neck that has come close for me (for comfort, not actual neck shape, they're pretty different). I tried an RGD2127, an iron label rgd7 (laser blue one), various 25.5" Ibanez 7s (1527, 7420 indo, 752fx), LTD MH-1007ET, and many more and they always had something that just didn't stack up to it. Usually the scale length or the neck shape.

16. I play music

I demand pictures of the neon green 7421xl please :agreed:

17. Ordacleaphobia

Ordacleaphobia Shameless Contrarian

Do not trust this poster, he is a reptile. Swirl that bitch. Green, pink, black, and white.
    I LOVE the look with the wooden bobbins too, btw. It does look great from what I can see as-is, but...you know. The world could always use another swirled Ibanez.

18. possumkiller

Yeah. Neon rainbow swirl with wood pickup bobbins and a burlwood pickguard...

19. Kaura

Kaura evanesencensencenenist

Happy NGD! Gray RGs look so awesome. :yum:

simonXsludge likes this.
  20. Defyantly

Defyantly Aspiring Builder

Happy NGD I think the wood bobbins look great against the silver although they slight clash with the fretboard. But its still a sexy looking guitar!

simonXsludge likes this.