NGD - Ibanez RG1527M

Discussion in 'Sevenstring Guitars' started by philentology, Feb 1, 2012.

1. oremus91

oremus91 Melodeth-er

It's so pretty...

2. Mattmc74

Mattmc74 Contributor

Congrats! :hbang:

3. travis bickle

travis bickle SS.org Regular

i've been gassing for this model for a minute now. congrats!!!!!!!

4. philentology

philentology SS.org Regular

Thanks man! It was a "love at first sight" deal for me. haha.. I really am enjoying it. Played for a while again last night. Even the stock PUPs make this guitar so much better than my s5470. I, now, think the s5470 is going under the knife first (to fix a broken trem stud and get a tune up, and possibly play around with the PUPs.)

5. philentology

HA! I'm not rich... I just took so long to pick out a seven string that I saved more (and I don't own a car... so that helps haha)

6. Vinchester

Vinchester SS.org Regular

Thanks for the post. I'd love to hear how the sound is like. Is it good for some vicious metal rhythm guitar? (I havent played many basswood axes and the last Prestige I tried sounds very thin.) I'm considering buying one as my first 7 since the price is good.

Somewhat surprising to hear that the fret ends are not perfect (they are supposed to be for a Prestige isn't it?) while the Indonesian made Premium has awesome fretworks. Do you ahve any other comments on the build quality?

7. ibanezlover

ibanezlover Well-Known Member

Congrats dude, looks awesome! :)

8. astm

astm SS.org Regular

beautiful guitar! Congratulations!

If you ever change pickups, use WHITE pickups. Mine has white DiMarzios and it looks great (well, it's a rosewood fretboard with RB finish, but still looks kickass, lol)

9. philentology

I think that what other people have said about it, that it sounds "muddy" with stock PUPs is pretty accurate.. but in this day and age, with a few pedals, you can totally change the sound. When you play with the pots wide open, it can be a little much. I find myself bringing tone and volume down to about 3/4, and lowering the bass a fair amount on my patches.

My other Prestige, the s5470, IS too thin.. and the sustain is suspect. This guitar kicks it squarely in the ass.

I'll try to get a pic of the fret ends, but basically, some had knicks in them, where they were "cleaned," and if you slide your hand up and down the neck, you feel a couple snag just slightly. My other Prestige is really smooth, and so is my cheap Gibson SG. The other kind of annoying thing is that a couple frets have wood filler on the fret board at the fret, from when they filled in the gap along the neck.... so I can't say that it's perfect, which is disappointing (I think I've been looking at too many custom guitars on here with rounded fret ends.) But...

The rest of the guitar is as close to perfect as you can get for a mass produced guitar. The finish is really even and feels pretty tough (I know Ibanez has had some issues with brittle finishes). The hardware is great. The collet knobs rock. Everything else says "Prestige."

10. philentology

Haha I'll consider it... but, I really am digging the white/black theme of this guitar. It's very subtle.. but at the same time, ridiculous. In-person, it is a really rad guitar.

11. dacimvrl

dacimvrl ss.org irRegular

that white rg is beautiful!! gratz

12. rockstarazuri

rockstarazuri SS.org Regular

Oddly enough, my S5470F sustains quite well. And it sounds as full as my RG1527M. You might have the older S5470 with the strong middle pickup and different neck.

That said, I have the CL/LF combo in both of those :) both of them are good in their own respective ways

Happy NGD!

13. philentology

Exactly what I have. Tracer 1 single coil.