NGD: Ibanez reverse headstock content (pics + Gojira video)

Discussion in 'Standard Guitars' started by luciformheart, May 24, 2019.

1. luciformheart

luciformheart SS.org Regular

Hey all, I was looking for an inexpensive guitar with a fixed bridge to mess around in different tunings and to mod. I ended up getting an Ibanez RGRT421, it's quite a decent guitar for the price (~$430). This NGD is a little late because I wanted to include some kind of video recording. I took the pictures a few days ago with the guitar in the condition I received it in. I have since changed the strings and adjusted the setup and intonation.

Some of the frets need to be filed down, and there's still a bit of buzz that I can't seem to get rid of entirely. I have no experience with filing frets, so if anyone could give me some advice, I would be grateful.

The tuners were quite wiggly and loose when I changed the strings, they're the cheap Ibanez tuners with the washer and nut. Is it worth spending the money on locking tuners like Hipshots? I would have to install them myself, which I'm willing to do. I'm also thinking about upgrading the plastic nut to a graphite one.

The pickups seem okay, but I definitely want to upgrade them. I'm considering getting a set of Bare Knuckles, or a set of Duncans + tuners (which would cost a bit more put together). Any advice is appreciated!

Anyway, here are the pictures! :cheers:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And here are some pictures of the higher frets that really need to be filed.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I've really grown to appreciate the jatoba fretboard, I think I prefer it to the cheap rosewood I've had on other guitars in this price range.

[​IMG]

And here's a video I recorded the other night, a Gojira cover - :hbang:

I'd appreciate advice about the tuners, nut, frets and pickups. Cheers!

2. BlackSG91

BlackSG91 Loves Black Guitars

That is a real sweet looking guitar and great choice of colour.:)

;>)/

luciformheart likes this.
  3. luciformheart

Thank you! I haven't owned a black guitar in many years, it's very nice. I can't wait to mod it and make it even sicker!

What happened to my images, though? :O
    Do I need to add them in again or something?

Here's the imgur album in case the images don't load -
    https://imgur.com/a/B331F2B

Last edited: May 24, 2019
    BlackSG91 likes this.
  4. BlackSG91

If your using Imgur to post pics it won't work on this forum. I just hit reply on your original post and then I can see the pictures of your guitar.

;>)/

5. BlackSG91

Just checking if your pictures show...and they do if you click on expand.:)

;>)/

6. luciformheart

I see, I'm new to the forum, haven't tried posting images yet. Thanks!
    I also can't seem to edit my original post to include the album link, is that not allowed or something?

7. BlackSG91

I've been on here a long time and I still can't figure it all out. I think this forum needs an update so you can post images from Imgur which I use. I don't know what other hosting sites work well on here. Someone recommend Flickr but I didn't like it...couldn't figure it out so I abandoned it.

;>)/

8. pastanator

pastanator SS.org Regular

i think its not that the site needs an update its that imgur stopped allowing pictures to be embedded on sites with a for sale section? i might be wrong tho

BlackSG91 likes this.
  9. BigViolin

BigViolin breakfast foods

The tuners are fine they just need to be adjusted. Gently tighten the small phillips screw that holds the button on to your desired turning tension. If they are loose on the headstock tighten the nut that holds them on. The only reason to replace would be the convenience of changing strings with locking tuners.

luciformheart and Boojakki like this.
  10. luciformheart

Fair enough, thanks a lot!
    Any thoughts on how to about filing the frets? I live in a place where it's hard to find an actual guitar tech, so I'm going to have to do it all myself. I have an old guitar that I can practice filing frets on.

11. BigViolin

BigViolin breakfast foods

You'll want to make sure the truss rod is adjusted properly with a small amount of relief in the neck before filing any frets. There are a ton of online tutorials for this. The stewmac website is a good resource for working on guitars. Look under the "how-to" section.

12. luciformheart

Thanks, I'll check it out. :cheers:

13. Adieu

Adieu SS.org Regular

I'd be a lot less understanding if I spent $430 and got uneven frets and wiggly tuners

Actually, I'd be pretty dang mad

PUT THE FILES DOWN, then... Return it and buy something like this:
    https://reverb.com/item/23416675-es...ber-sunburst-with-seymour-duncan-pickups-case

Flip the case on craigslist, and it'll be the same price & superior in every conceivable way

PS damn the prices on those things sure went up.... they were $300 all day long a few years back, wanted to wow you with a "see? Better AND cheaper" but couldn't quite find anything anymore

PPS or THIS: https://reverb.com/item/6579226-jackson-dxmgt-sp-ht-dinky-red-mij

(+ a pickup upgrade, still same money or less)

Last edited: May 25, 2019
  14. luciformheart

I live in SE Asia, it's a lot harder to buy used, sadly. The import duty on guitars is very high, it would cost a lot more than the listed price. :(
    I had to buy this guitar online from a local vendor; I already returned the previous one they sent me, it had some dents and flaws in the fretboard. This one just needs some fret TLC, but otherwise plays really well and is in good condition. The tuners were fine once I tightened the nuts, I just wasn't sure if it's worth spending the money to get locking tuners.

It's rough, I know, but that's just the reality of living somewhere other than places like the US/EU. And like I said, this guitar is totally fine otherwise. I'm prepared to learn how to file frets, I've basically taught myself everything else about guitar maintenance. :D

Those guitars you linked are great value for sure, I've played some similar models. I appreciate you looking them up, thank you! :)

15. Adieu

Adieu SS.org Regular

Yeah, I know, some places the market is totally different

Import duties, eh? That sucks... Even on packages from private individuals marked "gift"? That's how everyone used to do it back in the day

16. luciformheart

Yeah, I've bought some pickups and stuff from the US in the past, and sometimes the vendor was nice enough to mark down the cost and I didn't end up having to pay a ton of customs. But it's kinda weird to ask for that (kinda dodgy xD), and it likely wouldn't work with guitars. There's usually a receipt too.
    Ah well, at least I have a solid guitar to mod and work with. I'm grateful for that, I just need to give it some attention and some nice pickups. It sounds decent already, considering!

17. Adieu

Adieu SS.org Regular

Chain stores from 1st world countries won't... private sellers typically don't care.

Customs guys typically don't know jack about guitars and could care less.

Besides... some things get snapped up cheap and confirmed to cost way more on the open market (hell even I've flipped stuff at 700% or so markup before :sharpie:)

18. luciformheart

Actually, it's well-known that it's hard to import guitars here. They can get held up for months at customs, and you typically have to grease a lot of palms to expedite it. :noplease:

19. AwakenNoMore

AwakenNoMore Wrong Handed

Reverse headstock is best headstock. HGD.

20. luciformheart

I've never owned a guitar with one before! It's cool, but I'm still getting used to the feeling of tuning the lower strings. :D
    I might try out some dampening stuff too, have some Gruv wraps lying around.