NGD: Ibanez M80M with Jatoba fretboard

Discussion in 'Extended Range Guitars' started by Joan Maal, Jul 10, 2019.

1. Joan Maal

Joan Maal SS.org Regular

Nothing special. A little bit of lemon oil twice a year. Maybe the camera effect...

WhiteLightOfDeath likes this.
  2. Selkoid

Selkoid SS.org Regular

Looks wonderful! I'm considering picking up an Ibanez 8 as well, struggling to decide between the 2228 and the m80m haha. Do you find yourself missing the neck pickup on the m80m?

3. kisielk

kisielk SS.org Regular

I use the neck pickup on my 2228 all the time for clean tones, I think I would miss not having it. Still would love to own an M80M some time (or the Hapas 828, which someone locally is selling..), but it's more special purpose.

WhiteLightOfDeath and Joan Maal like this.
  4. Joan Maal

Joan Maal SS.org Regular

Well... If I did not have the RG2228, for sure I would miss the neck pickup on the M80M. As i said before, i also was struggling to decide between multiscale (26-28") instead those two, but im happy with my final choice

5. Go To Bed Jessica

Go To Bed Jessica SS.org Regular

I bought an M80M, fully intending to have it routed for a neck pickup and after having owned it for a couple of years, I can't think of a single reason to bother doing it.

If you wanted it to be the only guitar you ever used for anything, then yeah - but it's a beast just the way it is. The tone control is functional enough to get you a decent range of tones - and while it will never sound like a neck pickup, it still sounds good rolled off. If I want a neck pickup sound, I just use a different guitar.

Congrats on your new guitar OP. I'm not an 8 string player for the most part, but I can't imagine myself ever wanting to let the M80M go. To me, it's the ideal representation of what an 8 string should be.

BananaDemocracy and Joan Maal like this.
  6. BananaDemocracy

BananaDemocracy 8 String Impaler

Being a j custom, the 2228 is going to be slightly more refined and polished, but of all the ibanez’s and of all the Indonesian guitars, I’ve never seen another like the m80m. Maybe its the price (1500) which puts it at the bottom shelf of the high end Ibanez, which is not what a premium is by definition (thats more of a high end mid ranged Ibanez ) but that’s usually going to get you a prestige if not a j custom. So I think Ibanez makes them really crack the whip for the m80m because i literally cant think of anything else like it at all except team J craft.

Now this is all just my idea of a theory on the connection between the 2 guitars. It’s like the 2228 is a perfect guitar, like the quintessential RG 7 string (7620 or universe depending on your paradigm), and its the original high end, and only boutique 8 string (before the days of ERGs becoming a staple rather than experimental niche), just a little ahead of its time. By the time the market spun on its head and made sense of itself, the M8M was designed but the fad of the meshugggah guitar was over by the time people digested the idea of a 6k price tag. Hell, i would still buy one if i could get one for 2k or less,which despite however good the guitar is, is a crazy amount of money for a “limited guitar”....so they really pulled the stops. I think leaving out the neck pickup was not just about meshuggah, it was about economics, you literally eliminate all the extra, and about $200 worth of equipment and pickups per guitar. Therefore, the guitar is somewhere between a prestige and a premium, its in between a signature artist and a standard RG, but because its so extreme, it stands alone kind of like a hybrid of a high end custom signature Ibanez and a premium....just something about the m80m feels more than premium, idk, is it just me?

Like Go to bed Jessica said, i agree with almost the whole post verbatim, it is the quintessential ERG. Not the quintessential Ibanez or 8 string, but the perfection of what an ERG is, a cross between a bass guitar body and neck, with the bridge of a 2228, and they feel like sisters. The 2228 being more refined, older, more elegant, more versatile and well rounded, and the m80m being the hot younger sister that all the guys go crazy for for her extreme outfits and raw sexiness, and at the end of the day, what are you in the mood for? Unadulterated and heated raw sex with a buxom nympho, or do you want to spend a romantic dinner followed by passionate but tasteful lovemaking ......i hope you know which sister is which, or rather, which one you want ....THAT NIGHTT HAHAHAHAHH

I personally, love them both almost equally, and couldn’t imagine , and wouldn’t want to imagine the ERG world without them. In fact, it wouldn’t be as good as it is, without these two guitars. I’d go so far as to say, if i could get my hands on one, I think i would never really want to buy another two; the twin sisters of fates who killed the third!

Congrats again, its a gorgeous gorgeous guitar...how is that color turning?darker or lighter?

7. Spicypickles

Spicypickles Sweeps & Mops

The 2228 is only a prestige, not a J Custom. There is a J Custom model out there though, with vine inlay and flame top

8. Joan Maal

Joan Maal SS.org Regular

Darker... I hope it turns black like ebony :kd:

9. kisielk

kisielk SS.org Regular

I wish you didn’t tell me that existed

10. Spicypickles

Spicypickles Sweeps & Mops

I would agree, but the vine inlay is ultra lame. It should only exist on the JEM models.

11. kisielk

kisielk SS.org Regular

I’ve got a 6 string JCustom with it and I think it looks great. Don’t really like JEMs because of the silly grip thing

Thaeon likes this.
  12. WhiteLightOfDeath

WhiteLightOfDeath Hidden Sword

Thanks for correcting me, and i apologize if I misled anyone with incorrect information