NGD - Ibanex Prestige RG2027XL-DTB

Discussion in 'Sevenstring Guitars' started by Vyn, Jun 11, 2019.

1. Vyn

Vyn Not a Sparkly Vampire

This is actually a VERY belated NGD: Back in February was when I reserved it!

Specs from Ibanez (if you don't know what they are already)

Que slightly art-y pics:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Impressions:
    One of the gripes I think many had when this was announced was the lack of SS frets. After having played this continually for the past few months, I don't think it's a problem at all to be honest (though admittedly in 17 years of two hours+ a day playing I've never managed to come close to killing frets on a guitar, either I'm blessed with non-corrosive sweat, light hands or both).

Acoustically before even plugging it in, it's LOUD. The sound has this sense of size to it, lots of body. Genuinely surprised by the Dimarzio Fusion Edges in this, they really REALLY suit this guitar and that it's all about. Neck is the same profile Ibanez have been using on the Prestiges for a while now, feels right at home. The 27inch scale is surprisingly easy to get used to, even when doing dumb riffage like 1-2-5 or 1-4-5 (disclaimer, I do have large hands). Like all tremolo based guitars it's amazingly stable tuning wise. For the record, the first few days of me playing it consisted of nothing but 3rd fret harmonic squeelies :p

Interestingly I thought I would have to run lighter gauges than what I do on my 25.5" guitars however I've found myself able to use the same strings (9-46 + 62 in Drop A) as the scale length does increase the tension however the extra length makes it easier to bend than I though it would. It's definitely... Rounder (I think what that's what I'm looking for) in tone than my 25.5" 7s which seem to be snappier and have a little more high end on them.

Overall I'm pretty pleased to the point I'm considering a 2nd one for some different tunings/pickups/experimentation.

And lastly, a small family photo. Excuse the half-modded RGRs, have pickguards on the way for both to cover the empty pickup and control holes:

[​IMG]

2. IbanezDaemon

IbanezDaemon Raptus regaliter

Very cool. Those are damn good guitars! Love the group pic as well.

Vyn and aesthyrian like this.
  3. secretpizza

secretpizza SS.org Regular

Awesome lineup man, and solid review. I like the Fusion Edges too, they get a lot of hate but I think they're a good application in this guitar. Also, please post some pics when you install the pickguards on the RGRs, that's going to look great I'm sure.

Vyn likes this.
  4. Albake21

Albake21 "Just get a used Ibanez Prestige."

Looks awesome! I'd love to try one before buying, but I'm afraid of adjusting to the 27" scale. Also those RGRs are going to look amazing with pickguards. Please post pictures of them when you do!

Vyn likes this.
  5. shupe13

shupe13 SS.org Regular

Congrats!

Vyn likes this.
  6. Leviathus

Leviathus Psychotic Monster

Pretty sick, congrats!

Vyn likes this.
  7. Glades

Glades Down in the Everglades

Love that RGR625! I wish they would move away from doing the giant dot inlays, and either do the smaller inlays like on a RGD2127, or go no-inlay all together

Matt08642, Vyn and The906 like this.
  8. luciformheart

luciformheart SS.org Regular

Happy NGD!

When you say pickguards are on the way, does that mean there's going to be drilling involved? :S

Vyn likes this.
  9. Vyn

Vyn Not a Sparkly Vampire

There will be pics and there will be drilling involved to mount the pickguards which themselves are going to be matt black with black screws. Hoping it'll turn out the way I see it in my head haha. Was pretty apprehensive at the thought of modifying them originally however I'm not after resale value on them so who cares so long as they suit the purpose/application. Both are live guitars and get the shit beat out of them on a regular basis :)

10. myrtorp

myrtorp Jiggywiggy

What a nice family of Ibanez, HNGD!

Vyn likes this.
  11. luciformheart

luciformheart SS.org Regular

Fair enough! I can't wait to see how they look with the pickguards. Those RGRs really look amazing already. I just got a standard series RGRT myself, it's a pretty good guitar. I'm currently planning all the mods, really looking forward to the end result.

Vyn likes this.
  12. Fierce_Swe

Fierce_Swe SS.org Regular

HNGD! :)

Vyn likes this.