NGD!: Hellraiser C-7

Discussion in 'Sevenstring Guitars' started by BabUShka, Feb 23, 2012.

1. BabUShka

BabUShka SS.org Regular

Shalom everyone!
    I purhased this one two weeks ago second hand from a fella from this forum.. Its a long way from USA to Norway, and the customs were a huge pain in the ass. Today, I finally picked it up!

Black 2008 Schecter Hellraiser with TOM, EMG707TW in the neck and EMG81-7 in the bridge.

THe 707 is beefier than 81-7, yet the 81-7 has more mid range and sounds clearer for riffing. So its a good combo.

The neck.. Well.. I've read a looot of stuff about Schecter 7 necks being awefully thick and that.. Well, my first impression was that it was thick.
    But it just feld natural to me. I've owned a Ibanez S7 with EMG707, and it was noticable thinner. But still, I had no problem og discomfort playing the Schecter neck.

Imo there are way much heavier necks out there.. Its actually thinner than my Epiphone LP custom neck and way thinner than LTD M-1000 (6 string version) or telecasters Ive played.

So.. Schecter necks aren't huge, but Ibanez necks are thin.

Soundwise: I just oiled the neck and put a 10-59 gauge strings to it, and it soundes clean as fuck. No fret buzz and it feels TIGHT.
    I tried to detune it to drop A (with .59 on bottom) and it still feels tight.. Thats really a good thing for me, since I've had huge problems and discomford with my Ibanez S.. I had it set up with .66 in drop A, and it still felt loose with EMG's.
    I guess its the 26.5 scale of the hellraiser. I really dig it! I was kinda afraid I wouldt be able to play 26.5, but it really feels like 25.5 and it doesnt look too long. I should try 27" too soon! :shred:

Anyways! Soundwise, its a monster. I kinda see why people dont like Schecter necks after playing Ibanez for a while, yet imo its not the heaviest necks I've played.
    The guitar is very resonant and plays like a dream. I prefer the feeling of a satin fenish better. So I might satin the neck later, but overall - If you are willing to get used to the thicker necks of Schecters, my opinion is that they are really good guitars soundwise.

I would love to compare it against M 407, M 1007 but I just haven't tried any 7 string LTD's yet. Maybe some day!

Sorry for the crappy pics.. Its my mobile camera + bad light in my bedroom. I promise to upload better picks later.

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

2. Don Vito

Don Vito SS.org Regular

Got the same one ;D(different year though I think)

HNGD

3. Djentleguy

Djentleguy SS.org Regular

happy NGD dude!

4. 7stringDemon

7stringDemon SS.org Regular

Lookin good dude! Though I'd go a bit bigger for the low A. Probably a .66 or so

5. Mattmc74

Mattmc74 Contributor

Congrats! :shred:

6. mortbopet

mortbopet I forgot

Happy NGD!

I'm curious though - how much did you end up paying for shipping and customs? Because i've been gassing all over a bunch of american-only guitars lately, but stopped by the sheer thought of having it shipped to Denmark :scratch:

7. BabUShka

BabUShka SS.org Regular

Haha, good question.. I paid $650 for the guitar, shipped to Norway. + 25% tax and another $30 to the customs.

I know it sounds way too much. But this is still cheaper than buying it localy in Norway.
    This time seller shipped through USPS international mail.
    First time i ordered a guitar from USA, i used Jetcarrier.
    Google them, as far as I know, they handle shipping to Denmark.

Yeah, definetly.. I'll buy a set of .64 soon, so i can switch between standard B and drop A.

So far I still dig it. Yet, overall the Blackjack ATX is just a much better guitar than Hellraiser. It sounds and feels better, but I was kinda expecting it from the beginning. Maybe I'll get an ATX C-7 or Loomis when I get the $$$
    Probably in a year or so.. =p

8. no_dice

no_dice a very bad old bear

Nice! I was looking at a couple hellraiser c-7s but I ended up getting a c-8 special instead.

9. 7stringDemon

7stringDemon SS.org Regular

Put Blackouts in your Hellraiser. Everything else about the two guitars is almost exactly the same. And I know quite a few people here who will trade you their Blackout set for your EMG set.

10. BabUShka

BabUShka SS.org Regular

I'll have to think about that. =p
    I put EMG's in the blackjack, because the blackout set that came with the guitar stock had just crazy output!

11. Tjore

Tjore Hipster Jesus

Aw, looks awesome!!!! Enjoy that guit, dude! Happy NGD!

12. BabUShka

BabUShka SS.org Regular

Thanks man!
    As pormised, I'll upload some freshier and clearer pics tommorow! Thread will be updated with some more updates about the playability +++ :)

13. maxoom

maxoom Scumbag of the Earth

Congrats,I just sold mine last week.I had it in A and used a 62.

14. rudociliak

rudociliak SS.org Regular

Nice! I picked one up too, just a month and a half ago. I also have an 81-7 in the bridge, and the 707 in the neck, and the seller also included the 707 which came stock as extra along with a gator hardcase. Mine's a '07 make, except it's in cherry, nice guitar though, really glad I bought it. I'll post it up sometime, I don't visit the forum often.

15. BabUShka

BabUShka SS.org Regular

Thanks guys!
    One day when I have more money, I'll give this axe a pair of BKP or Lundgren M7 pickups.
    I really dig the look of ebony fretboards, so I'm diggin the dark rosewood fretboard on this one.

Here are some better pics.. Not good pictures, but better than the first pics:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here is a pic of "the man" with the same axe:

[​IMG]

16. Indigenous

Indigenous Indigenous

Tasty, HNGD!

17. nkri

nkri SS.org Regular

Nice axe man, happy NGD! :hbang:

18. techjsteele

techjsteele Contributor

Happy new Hellraiser day! I bought that exact model (made in 2010) about a month ago and I'm loving it. The biggest surprise for me was the neck. It is the smoothest and easiest neck I've ever played. Again, congrats!

19. Captain Shoggoth

Captain Shoggoth literally just vibing

goddamnit I love hellraisers, HNGD dude!

20. BabUShka

BabUShka SS.org Regular

Good to hear that there are some Schecter players on this forum.. Despite all the hate against Schecters =p
    I cant really tell enough times how accoustic and resonant this guitar is.. Even with EMG's in it. Thats a huge pluss for me. Really dig it.