NGD - Green Korina Aries

Discussion in 'Sevenstring Guitars' started by ilyti, Apr 20, 2016.

1. ilyti

ilyti Lazy Ryebread Viking

I realized I never got around to posting this here. Sunshine pics would be preferable, I know, but that's gonna have to wait til after blizzard season. It was done 9 weeks to the day and they got everything exactly right; Frets are good, finish is flawless, side dots are straight. I haven't weighed it, but it feels a little on the heavy side for an Aries, probably due to the limba body. That is also just what I hoped for. Lightweight guitars don't often sit well with me. The fretboard is not among the most figured ones out there, but I'll deal. The body more than makes up the aesthetic aspect.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Haters gon hate, I love that big huge bevel. It is curvy, stylish and comfy like nobody's business. I was surprised to find that the korina body is a 1 piece! No line coming down through the middle. I didn't pay or even ask for that, it just happened and I am so pleased. There is something so right about a guitar that is only made of 3 pieces of wood: body, neck, fretboard. It doesn't come across that great in indoor light, but the korina has quite a bit of 3D figure to it, looking almost flamed in certain angles. Especially on the back and across the bevel.

Play-ability is super smooth as you'd expect from Carvin. Stainless steel, tung oil, 20" radius and a good setup will do that. I might go down a string gauge eventually, but I'll play the stock strings do death first. I've put several good hours on it already and it feels so comfortable I just don't want to put it down. It makes it a wonderful couch companion.

I gave the Lithiums a fair chance, and they are good but not for me. BKP Mules are eagerly waiting in the closet. PAFs will be perfect for this guitar as the natural, unplugged sound seems so well balanced and loud.

Nlelith, ferret, nedheftyfunk and 3 others like this.
  2. wannabguitarist

wannabguitarist Contributor

Awesome :yesway:

I know Kiesel is really pushing the high-spec flamboyantly fancy guitars right now but I've always felt like they excelled at the simpler, more stripped down examples like yours. That is a fantastic looking guitar.

3. Dawn of the Shred

Dawn of the Shred Chugs and Sweeps

Congrats man!

4. High Plains Drifter

High Plains Drifter ... drifting...

That particular green + gold + maple = delicious. Nothing typical or boring about that look. HNGD

5. mphsc

mphsc http://pyramidguitarscompany.com/

That's a beauty man. Love the choices too, congrats.

6. MikeH

MikeH Bring the gain

I know Jeff has received a lot of (warranted) flak from some of his customer service tactics and getting orders wrong. But, man, when he gets it right, he gets it way right. That thing is beautiful.

7. jc986

jc986 Tone Enthusiast

That looks awesome! You don't see a lot of color over Limba but yours turned out great.

8. Splinterhead

Splinterhead Sojourner Contributor

I'm on board, that thing looks great. The green korina with the maple just works. Its simple, 3 pieces of wood is all you need. Congrats!

9. Mangle

Mangle Breaker

HNGD, you absolutely nailed it with a killer subdued look! Exudes a simple sophistication in the color scheme and appointments. On point, without a doubt. I'm gonna be going in much the same direction (with different colors/woods) when I order my Carvin in a couple of months (if all goes well).

Do you think the tung-oil finish contributes to the naturally loud & well balanced sound of the guitar overall?

10. ilyti

ilyti Lazy Ryebread Viking

Sweet, glad to hear it. The world needs more simple spec Kiesel/Carvins.

The body is satin finished, so I don't think the tung oil neck contributes that much to the sound. I think the balance of the sound comes from the warmth and mids of the korina coupled with the treble bite of the maple board. If you believe in tonewood that is. I've played 2 other Aries', one alder bodied, one ash, and both of them were far more bitey and jangly sounding unplugged than mine.