NGD - Goldilocks

asher

So Did We
Reaction score
HNGD!

Without my noticing it, these have slipped waaaay up my GAS list...

redlol

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Nice. I just ordered an lpj goldtop last night! Shipped from Florida today hoping for a ngd by the end of the week! How does it sound and play? Not a lot of gibson action on this forum give us a little review!

Lickers

Destroyer of venues
Reaction score
Cheers guys.

I've always loved them so when this came up, it was too god to pass on. As much as my Epi 59 GT is nice, it's not the 'real' thing.

I'm actually in a hotel on business at the moment. I picked it up en route so I've not had chance to put it through my rig yet and have only spent a few hours with it thus far.. That said, I've played it through Jam Up and it sounded pretty awesome.

As it's a 60's tribute, it's a bit 'no thrills' in the looks department which is fine with me. A little more pure and organic if you will. Still, it has nice quality touches like the control knobs, matt finish on the headstock and slight gloss to the GT itself.
It is a 'light back' example so the grain of the mahogany is clear to see, too.

It is very light - which came as a bit of a suprise - but the balance is superb and it feels very much like an old friend.
It's surprisingly resonant and clear given the low mass when playing acoustically so I'm looking forward to hearing how those P90s deal with my Engl.

The quality of the hardware and fit and finish is excellent. Everything is high quality and as solid as you'd expect although it is not as 'accomplished' as the more expensive examples; as you'd expect.
However, the tuners and fretwork are especially high quality which certainly add to the appeal.

This is my first Gibson since 1992 when I had an Explorer shipped from the States that felt like it was hewn from granite.
This has a lot of similar traits but you can feel the difference after prolonged playing. Again, the low mass takes a bit of getting used to, especially if you're used to playing LPs.

It's quite a faithful tribute and probably not for all given some of the qualities LP players tend to favour. That said, you could gig this all night long and not get the slightest hint of back ache!

rjg3000

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
You can't go wrong with such a classic choice. HNGD! Enjoy those P90's! I loved them when I played them in the store.

Adam Of Angels

The GAS Man
Reaction score
These are excellent guitars - I had one just like it (who knows - if you got it used, it may have been that one!) and it both sounded and played amazingly well. Great score, man.

Tom 1.0

Djizz.
Reaction score
One of the best LPs I ever played was one of these, I was an idiot for not buying it.

xzacx

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I really like this. Been thinking about picking up something with P90s lately. This isn't helping!

Lickers

Destroyer of venues
Reaction score
These are excellent guitars - I had one just like it (who knows - if you got it used, it may have been that one!) and it both sounded and played amazingly well. Great score, man.

Funnily enough, the guy I bought it off was called Adam.

I really like this. Been thinking about picking up something with P90s lately. This isn't helping!

Do it!

After changing the strings (they were in pretty nasty condition to be fair) and a light set-up, the guitar has really come alive. Its responded in a way I just did not expect. So much more tactile and sensitive.

Through an amp it's rather remarkable. It's a very 'accurate' guitar in as much as any small change is instantly heard, whether it's to the change of the controls or pick attack etc. That will take a little getting used to but it should yield better results once I learn its limits.
The P90s are great and are beutifully voiced - as you'd expect. It delivers a wider tonal palette than I thought it would.

I guess my other guitars are going to be a little lonely for a while...