NGD: GOC Materia 8 string (headless, fan fret)

Discussion in 'Extended Range Guitars' started by Marv Attaxx, Aug 20, 2019.

1. Marv Attaxx

Marv Attaxx ಠ_ಠ

Hey guys, as promised in the GOC thread I'll post my full review here.
    I don't wanna go into the history or anything of the brand as this was discussed already in the other thread :D
    I've been searching for a headless 8 string for quite some time now. Ormsby is pretty rare here, Strandberg too expensive for Indonesian made instruments and a Padalka Neptune is not really an option for a student, either :(
    I think the first time I heard about GOC was that video by Glenn Fricker on Youtube. Looked 'em up and all the guitars were sold out already. Then I've learned about the run, sold off some gear and jumped on board. Originally it was supposed to be done in 60 work days, there were some hickups though. So in the end I got this after about 180 days in total. Onto the review!

Pros:
    - Body: The body is extremely comfortable, in any playing position! It's a one piece Northern American Ash body with an "antique black finish" (which looks rather brown in daylight). Very resonant!
    - Neck: The neck is great! I've owned several Ibanez 8 strings and blidnfolded I could easily mistake it for one. 5 piece maple and wenge, also reinforced with carbon rods.
    - Fretwork: The best part about the guitar, the SBE (seamless ballend frets). The are pre-rounded and then pressed and glued into the fretboard. The result feels absolutely amazing! Zero fretbuzz, perfectly levelled across the fretboard.
    - Construction: Solid all around, neck fits perfectly into the pocket.
    - Pickups: Right now I still have the stock "4th Dimension" pickups in there as I am still waiting for my Guitarmory Patriot-set. Surprisingly these are really great, best stock pickups I've ever had. Also they have coole wenge bobbins.

Neutral:
    - Finish: The finish has some rough spots, also the logo is only partly painted. It adds a bit to the antique vibes, so I'm ok with that. Still, might refenish it someday.
    - Inlays: There is some residue of glue here and there.
    - Bridge: The intonations is set similar to a strandberg. A single screw holds the bridge in position and they've used philips screw which strip easily. As a result you can't really tighten them down enough so the bridge may move under string tension which results in tuning issues. Easy fix though, ordered M3 6mm allen screws.
    - Saddle height screws too long, will get shorter ones.

Bad:
    - Only one point here. The bridge of the 7th string has been screwed in crooked. It's only about a mm off but it rubs against the bridge of the 8th string. Will have to fill and redrill that hole.

Overall, aside from the QC issues, I think it's a great guitar and I'm very happy that I became part of this. It's an absolut joy to pick it up and play it! Without the issues it would've been an absolutely outstanding instrument but I'll get it there with some modding :yesway:
    Apparently they won't do runs anymore but build standard guitars so customers don't have to wait for it that long anymore.
    Bottom line: If you want an affordable headless 8 string with good quality (but are willing to mod it if neccessary), this might be it :yesway:

Future mod ideas:
    - Mad Hatter Terminator Solderless System
    - Maybe ABM bridges, I just feel those are more secure when only the saddle but not the bridge can move. Expensive though, so I won't do that anytime soon haha.
    - Maybe shim the neck, don't know. Plays fine, action might still be lower I guess.

PICS!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 20, 2019
  2. AkiraSpectrum

AkiraSpectrum SS.org Regular

Congrats, looks really cool!
    Bummer that the 7th string bridge piece needs to be fixed; otherwise, I'd say you got a cool guitar!

Just watched Andrew Baena's GOC 7-string review. He had a few issues as well, similarly with the bridge--one of the bridge pieces wasn't screwed down properly. Also seemed to be having tuning issues. Have you had any issues with tuning on yours?

3. Marv Attaxx

Marv Attaxx ಠ_ಠ

Yes, the issue he described with the bridge is pretty much the same thing I had. Sadly, the screws I bought did not fit (head too large), but other members of the group run have replaced the philips screws with allen screws and that's supposed to make the tuning rock solid. Tbh, that's the kind of screw they should've used for this application from the first place :D
    The hardware manufacturer sends them out with these screws and I guess they just went with it.

AkiraSpectrum likes this.
  4. Defyantly

Defyantly Aspiring Builder

Cool guitar! Atleast you do have a workaround for the issue. Agreed allen head is the way to go!

5. Sollipsist

Sollipsist SS.org Regular

Nice! Just ordered a 7-string Materia myself. Ormsby, Strandberg and Kiesel just didn't quite inspire the lust that I need to overcome my inherent cheapness.

Have you experienced the issue that the YouTube reviewer had with the low string going off the fretboard too easily? Couldn't figure out if that was a side effect of the rolled fret edges or a poorly spaced nut or a little of both...

6. spudmunkey

spudmunkey SS.org Regular

If you have a file or some good sand paper, you can put your screw in your drill's chuck like a lathe, and then shave the sides of the screw head to shrink it. Might be worth a shot if you're in a hurry to get it in place.

Hollowway likes this.
  7. plainfaced

plainfaced Eight or die!

Nice. I purchased a Materia 8 from GOC a few days ago (not on a run, but assume they were left overs or something )..

Hoping there are no major issues. From the reviews I've read (like yours). While there's some minor issues, generally people are pretty happy.

Now I wait. Assume it won't take too long from China to Australia.. And hoping I don't get stung with import duty and tax.

8. Marv Attaxx

Marv Attaxx ಠ_ಠ

I'm on vacation right now, so I'll keep it short
    1. I've ordered the original Strandberg bridge mounting screws (around 4 bucks for 10 pieces) and they fit perfectly.
    The bridges feel rock solid right now and tuning stability has increased a lot. New Materias all have allen screws now.
    2. No, I've never had any problems with string slipping over the edge. The frets are flawless, perfectly leveled and each one has the perfect length.
    3. When I'm back I'll buy some M2 screws for the saddles and maybe try a shim (not really necessary for me but it might be even better, who knows) and then it should be a super comfy, great sounding work horse