NGD: GOC Materia 8 (or how Infini learned to mod guitars)

Discussion in 'Extended Range Guitars' started by Infini, Aug 18, 2019.

1. Infini

Infini SS.org Regular

Okay boys, strap yourselves in
    The guitar arrived after a long battle with the local (national, gods know why) post service that took 3 days to send me an import notice, and 3 days to process my information (they also forgot to tell me, so I had to call them (twice) for the privilege of paying them)
    68751876_376374543029149_8042235058129469440_n.jpg 69323144_2346868185570853_4679684112456351744_n.jpg
    Anyway, out of the box, the action was very high. So of course I tried to adjust the saddles to match, and so I arrived at the first issue.
    Bottomed out, the high e string was still a few mm above the fretboard. Not totally unplayable, but nowhere near shredable territory. High b could also really use another mm more of downward freedom.
    That's major issue numero uno.
    68588458_1161141380744188_4505311687234027520_n.jpg 68628740_2198328177124231_8095501117980409856_n.jpg
    While checking the saddle height I looked down the fretboard and noticed, oh wow, those fretends really are all over the place huh? Apparently they are hand made, sadly it shows! HOWEVER, after my adjustments it turns out it's not an issue while playing. The ends aren't sharp so I don't cut myself, and the strings don't go 'out of bounds' as I feared.
    69011376_899389880426358_7161262932720877568_n.jpg
    So, the lowest strings are pretty flubby, that's business as usual on a factory new 8 string, but this is really something else- the 8th string is only slightly larger than the 7th. My confusion is short lived, as the reason is soon clear- the barrels feeding the string trough the bridge only narrowly fits a .060 string. There is no way I'm getting my preference of .080 through that block of brass.
    That's major issue numero dos.

So, off to the hardware store it is!
    69467761_1445124982295670_6354156964833918976_n.jpg
    Two 1mm wood resin plates(??) and 2.5 and 3mm drill bits later, were ready to open shop.
    69687584_3528050463887174_41588945716248576_n.jpg
    The barrels were easy. the 2.5mm fit the string, but the windup on the ball end didn't quite fit. After drilling with the 3mm it went in no problem. Made a right mess though, -10 wife points :arr:
    68937454_625188341303126_4418010695916847104_n.jpg 68740855_2449671281966875_5286147818367483904_n.jpg
    I've never shimmed a guitar before, or even removed the neck from one before. Today is the day on both accounts it seems. Luckily I'm a tradesman so I've used powertools before and I didn't die. Neck's off, cut the plates (fucking things are hard as hell and brittle like plastic, a fully charged cutter only manages to dent it, so I have to slowly nick off pieces with a small wire cutter :rant: )
    Anyway, lots of bitching later I have two 1mm shims with 5mm holes for the screws (making those ALSO sucked if you were in doubt)

Shims go in nicely, neck goes back on. Zero casualties! Gave the board a lick of oil cause it was real dry. Strings on, flat on the board since saddles were bottomed out (as it should be!) readjusted, now has as nice action as my lowborn self can give it- importantly, there is plenty of wiggle room below and above. This tells me the neck pocket should have been ~2mm higher for their 8 strings.

Intonation is a bit annoying because you need to take the wound string all the way off to access the screw, and it isn't extremely precise- but it is, as famously said, 'good enough'. Pitches are now corrected.
    69500611_2337591316569475_7349975579434680320_n.jpg
    Finally, since the strings are now higher, the pickups should follow, yes? alas, the foam under the pickups are 'squished out', if you will. No more height to be had. Fine, easy fix some other day. I am loathe to make comparisons between pickups because to me, you can never directly relate two different pickups in two different guitars with different strings, materials, scale length etc, so I will only say they sound like a good medium-hot pickup.

Now for the most shocking part- It's a great guitar now! The frets may look wonky but playability wise, they are impeccable. 100% level as far as I can tell, no dead spots. A joy to play, honestly. The pickups are good, hindered by the fact they aren't close enough to the strings (so the output and clarity isn't stellar)

Still to be seen is how tuning stable it is.

I've reached out to GOC regarding these concerns, and I've been told that these issues will be amended on the v.2 guitars, they were very happy to hear from me and offered a discount on my next purchase. Before I could tell them I had corrected the issues myself, they offered to send me fixed barrels and a cnc'd shim (and putting some standard frets on, I think), so they've been very amenable towards my concerns.

All in all, this was very worthwhile TO ME partly because of the price of ~750$ inc tax, shipping, a bag (which is very well made actually!) and the set of guitarmory pickups which will arrive at some point :lol:, and the experience of making a near unplayable guitar into a great piece of kit. HAD I NOT been proficient in power tools etc, I would probably have been stuck as shit, and frustrated and not happy.

In the end, I got a good quality headless for probably about 1/4th of a strandberg, even if I had to work hard for a few hours to make it so.

thanks for reading my blog, ask away if you have questions :pirate:

2. exo

exo SS.org Regular

Is there what appears to be a crack in the body by the lowest string in the tuner cutout?

3. Wolfhorsky

Wolfhorsky Regular idiot

I’m glad that issues weren’t deal breakers for You. I went similar route with NK headless and the only issue of mine was the edge of the fretboard and unpolished frets. These issues were corrected by my local luthier. Mine had terrible pickups, but i planned to swap them out. Mine is 6string and it costed about 700€ incl. taxes, guitar itself, luthier and DiMarzios. Now it is one of my fav guitars. I hope You will enjoy uours just as i enjoy mine. Cheers and thanks for the time/work taken in writing this thread.

4. Crundles

Crundles SS.org Regular

Yeah, good to hear you were able to correct the issues, and even better to know that GOC were communicative, and offered assistance.

Mine is currently stuck in customs and since Eastern European customs are a pretty arcane institution, I've no idea what's going on. I've sent them all the documents they've listed on their website, so hopefully I'll be allowed to pay import tax and VAT soon.

Let us know if you discover any issues with tuning stability, this is something I'm curious about myself.

Thanks for taking the time to write this!

5. LeviathanKiller

LeviathanKiller Knee-shooting Archer

Holy cow, I'm impressed they offered to do so much for you. It sucks it had issues but it's cool they stuck behind their work.

6. Hollowway

Hollowway Extended Ranger

So tell me how you drilled out that lowest tuner. I have an 8 from this run as well, and I may shim the neck a hair, but it’s actually pretty damn close to 1.0mm at the 12 fret on the high E (with the saddle bottomed out). I am interested in going up to a thicker string size, though....

7. Pietjepieter

Pietjepieter SS.org Regular

Looks like a killer guitar. And good that you where able to fix it. And good to hear there CS seems OK.

My only question is is there a crack in the back, as shown on the picture below?
    69687584_3528050463887174_41588945716248576_n.jpg

Anyway HNGD, looks like a really good deal those guitars!

8. olejason

olejason SS.org Regular

Could be an irregular scratch from something dragging across the body but it does look like a crack

9. Infini

Infini SS.org Regular

Went with a 2.5mm metal drill bit first and then a 3mm. Straight through the barrel while it sat on the guitar (though I raised the string holder first, as to not drill that too)
    the crack is real! looks like it to me, but it seemingly doesn't affect anything so whatever.

HOWEVER:

There are new issues arising. The high e string can't be tuned to E with 10's, the string holder on the neck end (and the bridge, actually) don't actually hold the string because they aren't properly fitted. Resulting in the string going to around high D and then going PING and losing about 2 full steps. Kinda defeats the point of having 8 strings if you can't use the last one.

Once again, I will reach out to GOC. This guitar is starting to annoy me more than it was worth, honestly.

Arthur McCay and AkiraSpectrum like this.
  10. Defyantly

Defyantly Aspiring Builder

Do you have any pictures of the head piece? One with a string in it and one without?

11. plainfaced

plainfaced Eight or die!

Oh damn. This is disappointing.
    Have you rectified this yet?

Has anyone else experienced this?

Im just wondering if it's a fault on your guitar, or a goon number of them.

12. Marv Attaxx

Marv Attaxx ಠ_ಠ

Having the same problem with string slipping on the high E string. A work-around is to loop the string back through the headpiece and then lock it. Someone said you just have to make sure the string is in the middle of the hole when you lock down but that did nothing for me.

Edit: No problem at the bridge since i leave the ball end on inside the bridge barrel.
    The headpieces seem to be a ripoff of the ABM design, so maybe it's possible (but also like 30 bucks a piece) to swap them.

13. Marv Attaxx

Marv Attaxx ಠ_ಠ

Update concerning the high E string:
    1. Get high quality strings (I use D'addario NYXL).
    2. Push the string to the right side of the headpice.
    3. Tighten the locking-screw super slowly, which should push the string towards the middle.
    4. The part of the string outside of the headpiece will start bending upwards. I stop tightening the screw at an angle of about 45 degrees.

The string should now be perfectly centered in the middle of the headpice. I just did that and there's no slipping, also I even used a size 9 string.

14. jephjacques

jephjacques BUTTS LOL

Good on you for being so patient but this guitar is a piece of shit!

15. plainfaced

plainfaced Eight or die!

Would like to hear more reviews.. Mine is getting delivered today.

What is your bad experience with the Materia?

16. plainfaced

plainfaced Eight or die!

And its here.

First impressions... Really nice.. Not $3000 nice. But hey, it didnt cost that much. For the money, its killer

Everything looks to be in place and in good order. The frets are fine, neck is straight, body good. All hardware looks to be seated properly.

So the only complaint I had right off the bat, was action. Yep, I had joined the mile high club.. It was really high. However within around 45min of playing around, I had cut a shim or two out with some thin cardboard, popped the neck off and installed the shim. While its still a little high. Its really so much better.

This being my first 8 string. I wasnt sure what to expect with sound..I'm not sure i'm that excited about the pickups.. They look cheap, and sound, well not the best.. But again, for the price, its an amazing piece of kit. I generally change out pickups on my guitars anyway, as I like to tinker.. and will most likely do the same here.

OP. Sorry to hear you had issues with yours. Hoping its treating you a little better now.

Arthur McCay likes this.
  17. jephjacques

jephjacques BUTTS LOL

So the neck pocket was cut wrong and the action was too high and the pickups sound bad? I mean I hate to rain on people's parade but it seems like these guitars are bad guitars

18. diagrammatiks

diagrammatiks SS.org Regular

Hey man don’t rain on people’s cheap parade

19. Don Tonberry

Don Tonberry SS.org Regular

These guitars were supposed to come with Guitarmory pickups but nobody has received them yet since I believe they are still winding them