NGD: GOC Materia-3.ECO 8 string

Discussion in 'Extended Range Guitars' started by Gmork, Dec 20, 2019.

1. Gmork

Gmork SS.org Regular

Happy belated NGD to me!!
    Very happy with my new GOC Guitars
    Materia-3.ECO 8 string!!

Fell in love with it the moment i saw it and just had to grab it during their black friday sale. Definitely was taking a chance as their materia run 2 had a lot of issues but it really seemed like they were doing their best to make it right by sending new hardware out to people involved in run 2 and im glad i did! Great customer services as well!
    Youll be seeing it in action over at the Disembodied Studios youtube channel in the future!!
    Fotor_157681888406437.jpg
    Honestly dont have any real complaints, a few VERY tiny cosmetic flaws youd only see with your nose to to it. Tuning stability isnt perfect but its generally fine. I went through my 3 hr band practice the other night and only had to very slightly adjust a couple times which i typically do with my ibbys too.
    Mind you the strings that came stock were pure garbage lol. The 8th string was a 54!!! Lolol yeah!
    I threw the elixir 8 string set on (74g-10g i believe)
    Action was perfect for me with the new strings on with zero fret buzz!
    Looking down the neck i notice some frets are a bit uneven but doesnt seem to be a problem at all. Fret ends are beautifully rounded! So much nicer than any ibby ive had.
    The pu switch goes vertical which i plan on just readjusting to be horizontal, no big deal. Its a little close to my hand but not a big deal once its horizontal.
    Pickups are quite loose and muddy and ill def be swapping them out. But they are very fat and mid heavy and would prob be great for doom/stoner metal, not so much tech stuff lol.
    The screws that lock the string are sharp and if you tighten too much it can and will cut straight through the string, but once you realize that you dont need to go that tight then its fine, but still.
    The only thing that concerns me is that i could see myself maybe stripping those screws or the tightening piece threads in the future if i happen to put the screw in ever so slightly off kilter, thinking about looking into get some extra screws and locking parts. Cant be that expensive. Juuuust in case.

So yeah im pleasantly surprised! Its a beautiful guitar and my first headless and for the price im pretty floored!
    Enjoy my cheesy af pic. I know they often repost customers posts so i figured id take a "nice" pic lol. Whatever im a dork

Last edited: Dec 20, 2019
  2. Arthur McCay

Arthur McCay SS.org Regular

Happy NGD! Great photo and your Materia looks sick. Really glad to see first ECO 3 reviews show up. Been looking at these babies for a while now but still hesitant to pull the trigger.. Would love to see a video review or sound clips of your materia in the future!

Gmork likes this.
  3. Hollowway

Hollowway Extended Ranger

No, you're a Gmork!

I have one of these from the run. They're supposed to be replacing some of the hardware, but yeah, these are good guitars for the money. They're on sale so much, I probably wouldn't buy one for the "list" price. And, there was that little dust up with the one guy from the company (who either left, or was taken off customer service).

0rimus, Gmork and Arthur McCay like this.
  4. Gmork

Gmork SS.org Regular

G'dork lol

Hollowway likes this.
  5. Sephiroth952

Sephiroth952 Ibby Fanboy

Does it allow you to cast bolt3 though?

_MonSTeR_ likes this.
  6. Gmork

Gmork SS.org Regular

Actually YES! it does! But it still costs 52mp, actually more like $1k

_MonSTeR_ and Sephiroth952 like this.
  7. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

You might be a dork, but you're our kind of dork.

Glad you're digging the new guitar! Congrats!

Hollowway and Gmork like this.
  8. Gmork

Gmork SS.org Regular

Jeez thanks man lol. I love this place!

If anyones interested i was recording with the materia yesterday. Pretty processed but perhaps some of you may still be interested.
    2 guitar tracks panned hard. +1db 500hz, +2db 2500hz, narrow cut -6db 3700hz +2db 5000hz, +1db 8000hz.
    Master track lows and highs are bumped up.

Listen to SKUZ-1.mp3 by Steven Winger on #SoundCloud
    https://soundcloud.com/steven-winger-221857034/skuz-1-mp3