NGD Fryette GP/DI

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by thraxil, Jul 4, 2016.

1. protest

protest SS.org Regular

You can defeat the cab emulation and run it with an impulse for recording . It's VHT feel and tone from the second you plug in, which something people have said
    The Axe and Kemper can't quite capture. Also have heard the same thing about Orange amp models/profiles.

2. steinmetzify

steinmetzify CHUG & SLUDGE

Yeah, as far as I'm concerned the Axe can't really do VHT tones. The Deliverance model is ok, but just from posting clips elsewhere the guys that own them have told me it's not really there. The Orange stuff is better to my ears but not really the same either. I'm mostly a Mesa high gain guy, and really settled on good Recto tones and the Triaxis and Mk IV for my Mesa stuff.

Mostly I was just wondering how you'd go about lining this into the Axe; is it just a cable into the front end or what? Guitar>cable>GP/DI>cable>Axe?

I figured if I grabbed this I'd need a separate interface, and the idea that I wouldn't made this even more attractive as an option.

3. thraxil

thraxil cylon

You just run the direct out of the GP/DI to the effects return on the Axe-Fx. Then you can drop in an Fx-Loop block, adjust the levels, and route that to a Cab block and you're good to go. Or, if you turn on the cab simulation in the CP/DI, you don't even need a cab block in there. The nice thing with the GP/DI is that you can also run another cable from the unprocessed output into the Axe's regular instrument input (front or back) so you can keep a raw signal for reamping, or just seamlessly switch to patches that use regular pre-amp models. Also, it puts a nice tube buffer in there which has a subtle, but noticeable and nice effect on the feel of how it responds to your guitar.

4. steinmetzify

steinmetzify CHUG & SLUDGE

Nice man, thanks for the outline. Appreciated!

Any chance of some brootz Pittbull clip?

5. Andless

Andless SS.org Regular

I've been for no apparent reason GAS:ing for a Sig:X recently (quite unreasonably too since I have virtually no place to playone in even if I owned it, and I record and practice silently mostly :nuts:) , and was curious how far a thing like the Valvulator GP/DI would take me.

I have a Kemper and so I'm not in a rush... still you know.... the curiosity and the cat and all.

6. thraxil

thraxil cylon

Well, I've never played a Sig:X, so I can't really say whether it would nail it or not. It's super versatile and I still really like mine.

Have you tried borrowing a Sig:X and profiling it with your Kemper?

7. Andless

Andless SS.org Regular

Just got a few Sig:X profiles from reampzone, I'll play them first to see if that'l quench my GAS for a while...