NGD - Fryette GP/DI (short metal clip inside)

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by mnemonic, Aug 21, 2018.

1. mnemonic

mnemonic Custom User Title

I've kind of wanted one of these since they came out. Its one of those things that was made for recording but theres hardly any good recordings out there of it. Most people who have them seem to like them though, so there's that.

Well, Peach Guitars have them on sale for a price I would have probably paid for a used one, so I figured I'd go for it. It feels weird to buy something new, I can't remember the last time I did it.

IMG_2037.JPG

How about some gut shots

IMG_2034.JPG

IMG_2035.JPG

V1 looks easy enough to remove, but I'm not looking forward to ever replacing any other tubes. There is room to pull them out, its just real cramped.

IMG_2036.JPG

t's really cool! Totally different sound and feel than what I'm used to, as I've always been a recto guy, and into saturated metal tones. This is very dry and punchy sounding. Running the line-out into my Fryette 2/50/2, I guess it's kind of like a one-channel stereo Pittbull CL.

Cleans are excellent, mid gain stuff is just phenominal, and it takes a boost well to do heavy modern metal. I'm really kind of blown away how I can go from full metal gain to spanky clean by swivelling two knobs, and flipping a switch.

The More / Less switch chooses between 4 or 3 gain stages, and the Pitbull / Deliverance / clean switch is more a voicing switch, as all three modes pretty much have the same level of gain. All three can do clean to metal. I like using the Pitbull mode for everything. Punchy and modern for gain, and bright and zingy for cleans. I'm not gonna lie, the cleans from this thing make me want to give up on all this metal shit and just buy a Telecaster and play country. I don't think I'm good enough at guitar to play country though.

The EQ is pretty responsive, but I think it sounds really good with everything right around noon. I feel no need at all to tweak it, and I don't bother changing it when I switch to cleans or crunch. Which is another thing that makes it a lot different from other amps I've used, usually the EQ settings that work for high gain don't work for clean.

The internal 1 watt tube power amp gets pretty loud, and cranked up loud it sounds so goddamn amazing with my Les Paul. Cleans don't stay clean very long with it turned up like that though. And with my 7 string it does lose low end definition, as you would expect. It doesn't really compare to a 50 watt or 100 watt big-iron amp for metal, thats just an unfair comparison (its using half a 12DW7 as a single ended power amp, and the iron can fit in the palm of your hand). But it does sound better than I thought it would. Quite mid-heavy compared to the 2/50/2 power amp.

I haven't really messed around with the cab sim much, I twisted the knobs a bit with some headphones plugged in, and I bet in a mix with a couple tracks of guitar it could sound convincing, probably one of the better analog cab sims I've tried. But if I were going to record direct, I would just use impulses since they just plain sound better.

Honestly I kind of felt obliged to make some (admittedly half-assed) metal clips, since theres like one good metal clip out there, and then a bunch of crap. I know my SM57 and mic stand is at my parents house, I just don't know where. I will be down there the weekend after next, so I will look for it.

7 string metal clip

non-metal clip, not sure the punch really comes through in the clip though.

internal power amp clip

2. Kyle Jordan

Kyle Jordan Ace of Knaves

THANK YOU!!!

I've been eyeing these for a while now but have been very hesitant as some clips are good and some are very, very not good. Clean is actually the main reason I started looking at this little amp. Your demos are EXTREMELY helpful. And very good.

Thank you very much.

mnemonic likes this.
  3. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire L'enfant sausage

the metal tone was pretty damn good for a 1 watter.

Kyle Jordan and mnemonic like this.
  4. athawulf

athawulf SS.org Regular

Why you gotta do this to me... Sounds fucking awesome. Love the clarity, that articulate growl of all things Fryette. Were all the hi gain examples boosted with the TC electronic?

I used to have a GP3 but that was sold when my fractal replaced all my tube preamps. I can hear the GP3 flavor in these clips. Do you find any of the di/recording functions useful? I think the whole "recording" platform detracted from it being marketed as simply a killer preamp. Maybe I'm wrong though.

5. mnemonic

Most of the metal clip is boosted, but only when it’s shown in the top left of the video screen.

I think I could get by without a boost but I do like that little extra saturation and sharpness it adds to the bottom end. Especially for the 7th string. I just use the integrated preamp since it’s my favourite boost and I think it sounds great with everything. It takes a tubescreamer like a champ too.

Also, V1 is a lower gain tube according to Steve Fryette, a sovtek 12ax7wb, and apparently changing it for a tung sol 12ax7 will add more upper mid bite and more gain. I might do that soon but it’s not required, IMO.

I haven’t messed around with any of the recording features, to be honest. Mainly I bought it because it’s a Fryette preamp I can pair with my 2/50/2, and because of the built in low wattage power amp. I also have a Valvulator 1 tube buffer which is great, and apparently one of them is built in also (direct out 1) so no doubt that is great for doing DI’s.

It is nice having the option to record direct though, since the Direct Out 2 includes the built in power amp into a reactive load. I think I’d rather just use impulses than the built in cab sim though, seems easier and probably more accurate.

Kyle Jordan likes this.
  6. oniduder

oniduder HONKEY DONKEY

welp that settles it, i won't wait forever to get a old vht gp3, i'll get this SOB and i heard they're making a rack mount kit for this, if you or anyone else is curious

7. mnemonic

That’s pretty cool. It does have some threaded holes on the bottom so I figured if I ever wanted to rack mount it, I’d just spend $10 on a 2u rack shelf and attach it to that.

There’s no room left in my rack though and I’m not buying a bigger one. I made that mistake before, and it’s already full of stuff again.

8. steinmetzify

steinmetzify CHUG & SLUDGE

Nice man, clips sound great.

I felt the same way about the cleans; I figured it was because I’d run amp sims for so long and just wasn’t used to amp cleans anymore, but I’d sit there for hours fingerpicking chords on my Jazzmaster lol

The cab sim out wasn’t great IMO but I sold it before I found the Ownhammer Heavy Hitters stuff, I’d be interested in what you think recording with some really good IRs.

mnemonic likes this.