NGD: Fractal FM3

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by Deadpool_25, Apr 15, 2020.

1. budda

budda Do not criticize as this Contributor

Yes. I sold mine because I needed money to pay stuff off, and because I knew I'd get even more sounds from the FM3 or III. Can't say I've missed it :lol:.

Deadpool_25 and c7spheres like this.
  2. Meeotch

Meeotch SS.org Regular

Thanks, the only reason I'm still feeling hesitant is because I do like to use digital wah or sometimes compression in front of my amps, and time based effects in the loop - here the FX8 shines. If keen on using an amp block, the III is a no brainer, but with tube amps/4CM I'm still not sure there is a better solution than the FX8.

3. budda

Should still be able to do that with the fm3. I was runnig non-loop amps, didnt have to worry about it haha.

4. Elric

Elric SS.org Regular

Learning the front panel is never gonna hurt you that’s for sure... FWIW, though, on the II and III you can connect it wirelessly to a Mac w/ Bluetooth wireless adapter connected to Axe’s MIDI ports. If the FM3 has MIDI ports I bet it would work. It’s pretty cool.

Deadpool_25 likes this.
  5. c7spheres

c7spheres GuitArtist

Does anyone know of anything at all in the AxeFx III or FM-3 editor's that can not be accessed from the units themselves? What stuff must you use the editor for or else you can't do it? I know (I think) with Fractbot you must use that to do backup files of the unit in order to save all your Ir's an junk in one place etc. Is there anythign else?

Last edited: Apr 25, 2020
  6. budda

It's the other way - the iii (at least) has functions the editor doesnt run.

c7spheres likes this.
  7. c7spheres

c7spheres GuitArtist

Nice. So one can setup all the FC controller stuff direct from front panel then. Good to know as I'd likely be a front panel guy after doing my initial programming with the editor. After that it's likely just minor tweaks aor a thing here and there.

8. budda

I dont have an fc, but i'll ask a buddy and get back to you.

c7spheres likes this.
  9. c7spheres

c7spheres GuitArtist

Thanks man.

budda likes this.
  10. Fluence of Shred

Fluence of Shred SS.org Regular

Yes you can do it from the panel and or editor ...very versatilee

budda and c7spheres like this.
  11. budda

"Yea. You can edit all footswitch functions from the hardware or from the editor. You need an FC attached though to see the edit features menu."

Deadpool_25 and c7spheres like this.
  12. c7spheres

c7spheres GuitArtist

Right on! Thanks for the info. I like the self contained no computer option. It just seems like once you get your core tones then the rest would be while jamming and experimenting one off type things. Like, Oh I think I'll try a rotary speaker on that part and then just go over to the front panel and add it in rather than booting up computer. Good stuff.
    - I was checking out the few videos of the Tone Bender models in the AxeFx III and they seem ok, but I can tell on certain parts it has some magic in there. I know Tone Benders and Fuzz's are probably one of the hardest things for a modeller to emulate but the Axe seems to be holding it's own. I try to see past the players and what they're playing a lot because I'm more interested in certain things and how they are playing and how the Axe is reacting to that. A lot of people don't play with dynamics and it translates, then they suddenly hit a heavy chord hard with the pick and the tone bender comes alive and I'm thinking yep, they just ain't doing it right, but the Axe can do it. Very promising stuff.

budda likes this.
  13. Bearitone

Bearitone SS.org Regular

has anyone here with an AxeIII variant tried to get Norma Jean style octave down tones? They get some sick tones using a TREX Octavius.

14. budda

I havent but I imagine it's not too difficult with the pitch parameters.

15. Deadpool_25

Deadpool_25 SS.org Regular

I had an FX8 a couple (few?) years ago. Great unit. I sold it and went back to normal pedals but just because I like the vibe of them. Just reach down and twist a knob, ya know? It was a fantastic unit though. I did get some hum in 4CM so I went with Humbuster cables and that helped.

The Plex block is awesome. It can be a delay or reverb (or something in between). Very cool. I really like the verbs in here too. They have really stepped those up. They’re CPU hogs but you still have plenty of space because a lot of other blocks don’t take up much room.

The Thing Upstairs likes this.
  16. budda

Bearitone likes this.
  17. Jeff

Jeff Banned from Reality

I’m within “two hours” on signup day of the guy that got his invite Friday, so I should get mine this week. The HP version.

budda likes this.
  18. Jeff

Jeff Banned from Reality

How many presets can the FM3 hold? One annoying limitation of the Stomp is that it’s only got 128, which goes fast when you have several per song.

19. Shask

Shask SS.org Regular

I wonder why you are not using the Snapshots on the Stomp, which would be scenes on the Fractal.

I would think it would be better to use 1 preset per song, and then use snapshots/scenes for the different tones within that song.

20. budda

With 4 channels on nearly every block, odds are you wont need a ton of presets. Scenes and blocks will go far.

Jeff likes this.